Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
Wow, 2018 all ready.. Well Jan.. we will hunt some elk.. Season goes til the end of the month.. I hunted two mornings in Nov. Maybe I will hunt two mornings this mth.. But in Jan. we have coyotes, cottontails, some waterfowl, and some upland bird hunting.. All much more fun than elk.. Plus we are thinking of a short hunt in NM for quail..

Feb. Hogs in Tx.. Missed it last season, want to do this this year.. Probably the 7mm-08, .30-06, and .30-30.. While we are home coyotes will be at the top of the list. .270, .300 Sav. and 7mm-08 will ride along, but the ,22-250 AI will have top spot..

March isn't real clear yet.. Coyotes always, some gophers, maybe a trip to Montana for serious gopher shooting.. In addition to 22lr's , 22 mag,, 222, 223 and if I get it built a .223AI..

April probably some spring turkey, maybe some trout fishing.. Sure would like to take an Axis deer or two in Tx. especially if elk hunting doesn't produce.. For turkey, my model 31 12 ga. and Sako .222... Axis would be my .270 and old .300WM..

May is kind of up in the air.. Maybe a salmon trip to Riggins, and a bear hunt near that area.. Otherwise, gophers and the coyotes that are busy hunting antelope fawns.. Bear, the same rifles as Axis, coyotes: 22-250 AI and .270 or 7mm mag..

June have to leave for some family business.. Once in a lifetime deal.. Maybe some chuck shooting.. Mostly a bit of warm water fishing, visiting folks, and getting home..

July and Aug.. Ah, lots of prairie dog shooting some gopher shooting, camping, fly fishing, getting ready for fall.. Sighting in rifles, trying new loads. Shooting my pistols more fun than one can handle.. Plus we will have family visiting if all goes well..

Sept. Grouse!! Blue, ruffed and sage.. Love them all!! Maybe some turkey and sharptail also.. My old 870 12 ga. field and maybe my lighter 20 ga field. Late in the mth. ducks and geese 10 bore time.. Maybe an early mulie hunt in the western mountains.. My old .300 for long stuff, then who knows, .270, 7mm-08 or 7mm mag..

Oct. Mule deer.. My favorite game... Same rifles as before.. Also antelope.. I would like to take my antelope with pistols this season.. We will see.. Otherwise, .25-35, .270, 7mm mag.????
Hopefully my stepdaughters will be out for an antelope hunt.. Looking forward to this.. Their first western hunt.. Later whitetails and turkey, and maybe sandhill cranes.. Fishing for big browns should be excellent, but who has time to fish!!!

Nov. Coyotes, huns, and RINGNECKS.. Ah my favorite after deer, my dogs love this.. For sure the old 870 12 g. field, maybe a the 20.. Pure heaven.. Love it.. We will probably go for 14 days.. If all is well.. Sometime in this season, I may hunt for a big bull elk.. Missed all the good chances this year, because I was bird hunting.. Don't regret it one bit.. Maybe this year or next..Elk are mostly meat for us.. But I would rather eat beef and give the elk to the kids..

Dec. not sure. Coyotes, maybe some birds, maybe a Texas whitetail hunt..

I have enough points to draw a bighorn tag in many areas.. Not sure what I will do.. Age has caught up with me.. The easy areas are hard to draw, and I am too old for the tough areas.. Have one nice head.. Sure wish I could pass the points to one of my young friends. But maybe I will just get one more.. If I get to go the old 700 .300 will be there .. It has never failed in
almost 50 years.. Have a great year.. Hope all your hunts and guns come to pass with little effort and no tears..

Molon Labe
GB1

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I wont hunt anymore till Spring gobbler season ( My favorite hunting ) comes in April, Then I will keep up with My 30+ salt licks through the Summer and take note of any shooter bucks I might get pics of. I am upgrading the scopes on My deer rifles and will buy another Browning A5 3.5" 12ga and possibly another BLR in .300 WSM, otherwise I will ride My Hawg and enjoy the warm weather. Come Fall God willing I will chase Mature Whitetail bucks (150"+ or I let them walk ) In Ohio, Ky and Indiana as usual.......Hb

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I have a deer hunt in Alabama planned in early February. My plan is to get into the same Alabama hunting club for next season and also continue the tradition of hunting in Ohio. My gun plan is to start to get rid of a few rifles I will likely never use as well as either selling or giving away excess equipment I am tired of storing for no purpose. Most of it is lower quality crap I purchased years ago. Like to get down to just a few rifles but its not a reality as I hunt in different places that have restrictions. I'm wanting to try a light weigh rifle like a Kimber or a Barrett but truth is I have no need for one. But maybe if I see a killer deal on one I might give one a try. My whole theme the last few years has been to have less , but have things of high quality that really work great and that i really like.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Our deer season doesn't end until Feb. 19th so I'll be at that until then. Jan. 19th headed to Texas to hunt Aoudad with Muley MIke"s outfit. Then November headed back to Kansas for my yearly deer hunting trip out there. Trying to squeeze a elk hunt in if possible this year too.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Maybe a coyote hunt or two this winter.
September archery elk in WY.
Waterfowl in MN.
Youth pheasant hunt in ND.
Hopefully October antelope in WY.
November deer in MN.
Finish with pheasants in MN the rest of the year.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B2

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
New Brunswick bear in June
New Brunswick Moose in September,
NC deer in Oct and again in November,
Muzzleloading deer in Mass in Dec.
In between I will do my normal local hunting in NYS.

no new guns, but hoping for a new scope for my bear gun, maybe a S&B 1.5-6X42

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall
My Deer hunting is over till October so I got started EARLY for the year.

We are Near Record Cold temps. 14 * this AM, Low tonight 8-9 * I had to break ice for my horses first thing and will have to repeat later. I won't do any small game hunting till it warms up some. whistle

I have opened an account for PIC hosting >XXX> not photoPUKEIT. I'm in the process of learning how to upload & then post pix elsewhere.
'PUKEIT' made me mad this yr and I didn't post any pix here mad.

I already put a NEW scope on my 6mm Rem. this AM. I'll get it sighted in when the WX is more pleasant. grin
I have a load with 75 gr Speer HP that is devastating on coyotes. So far, I have not had 1 pass thru. I've killed a few with this gun & load in N Ark where they are thicker.

I also have a load with 100 H SP. I have killed deer with this gun & load several yrs. back. Since I'm now shooting CNS shots, I won't have to worry about property lines. laugh I plan to use it this Fall.

I didn't get around to using my 6.5X55 with 120 NBT this year so I plan to use it & the 6mm this Fall.

Those are my plans SO FAR for 2018.

ANY projects you got going or on schedule?

Jerry

I didn't know you had horses. Up here in PA breaking ice for the horses was an all winter thing. Overnight the water buckets would freeze solid. That was always fun.

As far as 2018 goes, I'd like to do some deer hunting in NY. I guess with a Bergara 308 .

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Destinations:

Out back for turkey in April and May
Out back for deer in October and November
Same-old/Same-old When you're living in heaven, what the hell do you do for a vacation?

Projects:
1) I still haven't taken a deer from my new tower blind, but I like the design so much, I will probably build another.
2) I have a Rem 7600 in 35 Whelen that I've converted to cast lead. I still haven't gotten a deer with it.
3) I have a new load for the 25-06 (117 grain Hornady RN) that needs to be blooded
4) The Mauser from Hell (8X57 K98) still needs work
5) I have a 357 Mag Marlin 1894 lever that needs blooded
6) I have a brand new LHR Redemption that needs to be blooded.
7) I still haven't taken a deer with .223 REM
8) I have 2 30-30 rifles begging for another trip out.
9) The M1 Garand is staring at me. It wants to go too.

What I should probably do is go without Savage 99 308 WIN and the Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 and challenge myself to fill my tags with something other than a 30- cal. I should also swear off my luxury box at Midway and stop hunting at the Garden of Stone. It's getting all too routine.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I may get another invite to go hunt deer up in Kansas with an old buddy, will take my 58 cal Hawken round ball rifle up there again, smoked a giant 22"x20" eight point 260+ lb pig up there last year at 44 yards, damn that was a big deer.

Regular season here and over in Arkanses will have me using old favorites yet again, will have to break in a new 7mm MSM I'm having built right now though.

Rotator cuff tears will certainly be healed up for some mid summer bow practice, will be on em at first light come 10-1-2018. wink

Trump Won!
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mike74

I didn't know you had horses. Up here in PA breaking ice for the horses was an all winter thing. Overnight the water buckets would freeze solid. That was always fun.

Mike, these are the 2 horses I have now. I had 2 others but they got culled <not killed- replaced> laugh

[Linked Image]

This ice was 5/8" thick Tuesday, 1/2" thick SAME HOLE Wed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
My 6mm Rem is the top one.
The one w/ BUBBA see-thrus is NOW my Son's. It was my first M Six 270 Win. It was named "Meat In The Pot" in 1999.

[Linked Image]

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It will depend on what the Draw here in NM brings. I'll definitely put in for Elk Muzzleloader again as my first choice. I'll add mule deer near the house as 2nd or 3rd. If I draw for deer I'll definitely take the Win M70 in 6.5x55.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I'm always hoping to go to SD. If I draw a West River tag I'll be there. Otherwise I'm hoping to be hunting the Black Hills as well as MN and WI.

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Have already been out for chukar with my dog & shotgun, our season here in Washington runs to mid-month, and I can chase farm-raised pheasants for a couple more months at the pheasant club. Normally I use a good ol' 12 ga Beretta 390, but recently acquired a nice used Browning Citori. Hoping it works out, sure is a pretty gun.
[Linked Image]

After the chukar season closes, I'll be out after the coyotes again, mostly with my 25-06, it's great practice with my favorite deer rifle. I've still got the 6x Leupold on it and probably won't change from my normal deer load, a 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip at 3120 fps. Have a cougar tag in my wallet, but chances of shooting one are admittedly slim. One shot took this coyote at 420 yards.
[Linked Image]

After that it's a long wait until bear season opens in August, archery deer & elk here in Washington, and hopefully a return trip to Wyoming in October for mule deer & pronghorn. Love that hunt! The 25-06 will be primary on that trip as well.

Best of luck to everyone!

Guy

Last edited by GuyM; 01/05/18.
J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by GuyM
Hoping it works out, sure is a pretty gun.
[Linked Image]

Guy

Now Guy, Don't ya know the Xperts on the 'fire' say "plastic is ugly"? confused
whistle
laugh

Great Pix
Thnx

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Those are some nice pumps jwall.

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank You JDK.

In 1999 our deer virtually disappeared. Nearly everyone in our lease had QUIT hunting. I had +/- 2000 acres to myself. I still hunted, I stalked, I tried SCARING deer in open areas. I walked miles & miles, & miles. I could not JUMP a deer anywhere.

One evening late in the season I said, "I'm going to get 'meat in the pot' out tomorrow and check it. At noon I took it to an old vacant mine and checked zero. I decided ONE MORE place to try. I sat on a steep hillside looking INTO the wind. Just before dark 2 deer came out feeding.
I moved ever so slowly. One of them saw something and looked up and FROZE. Too late. I held on the point of her right shoulder - BOOM -
Meat In The Pot ! !

I inherited My Dad's Model Six 270 so my Son has inherited My FIRST one. He has killed several deer with it since.

Thanks Again

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Nice collection Jwall.....congrats!......Hb

J
jwall Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Nice collection Jwall.....congrats!......Hb

Thank You VaH.

The only reason they are all M Sixes is the 7600 & Six were introduced at the same time in 1981.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't recall how long but the first FEW yrs. there was only $20.00 diff between the 7600 & Six. Eventually Rem dropped the Six because people were NOT spending the $20.00 more than the 7600. People ? People ? I felt then and especially now, the features of the Six were worth $20.00 more.

[Linked Image]

These 3 pix show the features I really liked/like. I don't regret buying Sixes. I preferred the fore handle somewhat cone or wedged shaped.
The Six pistol grip is smaller in diameter. The Six also has the cartridge head of the 'cal' or chambering of the rifle embedded in bottom of the receiver.

I liked the LESS and LARGER locking lugs. Some people 'think', 'say' the Six/7600 have 3, well you can see more than that. The magazine release button is larger and flatter - than on 760s.

In the 90s the M Six brought $300.00 The 7600 was $280.00 in our part of the country. YES I LIKE the old Remingtons.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 01/06/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by GuyM
Hoping it works out, sure is a pretty gun.
[Linked Image]

Guy

Now Guy, Don't ya know the Xperts on the 'fire' say "plastic is ugly"? confused
whistle
laugh

Great Pix
Thnx

Jerry

That's my ugly black Beretta, just to show that yes, I actually shot chukar recently too!

Here's the purty shotgun I just got, but no birds with it yet:

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (257_X_50, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.