Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,691 of 1,842 1 2 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1841 1842
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I actually WENT outside. laugh

Even nicer today. Should be able to get the ice fishing gear ready to rock. Kids are off of school on Monday so we plan to hit the ice for some fun.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't realize I had been gone from here that long. congrats to the successful hunters out there! Bman, that's a heck of a buck! I never made it chasing ringnecks this year, hopefully next. we've finally warmed up a little and shook this cold spell out here. we had subzero temps for 2 weeks straight! I'm not used to that anymore.

I had a very busy hunting season and managed to fill most of my tags. I scratched shooting a trophy mule deer off my bucket list finally! I'll see if I can upload a pic if I can figure this new photo posting stuff out. I also got a cow elk in SD and one in colorado on a last minute depredation hunt just before new years. our freezer is very full and I'm looking forward to good eats this year!

as for the guys smoking their venison, I have done this and found the best results are to wrap it in bacon to keep it moist. Sometimes I'll spread a very thin layer of BBQ sauce on it too, that's yummy as well. for tenderloin I slice it into medallions and wrap in bacon, that is to die for! my old smoker was on its last leg so I convinced Kendra to let me get a fancy masterbuilt 40" with the window in it. I haven't tried it yet, but hopefully will tonight. I'll make a better effort to stop in more often, sometimes things just get busy.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Wow. Good season Ryan. Looking forward to those pics of the buck. Are you going to have it mounted? Also curious as to what an elk depredation permit is - okay, I understand what it is, but how does one obtain one of these permits? Sounds like fun. Also sounds like you need another freezer. wink

For those sitting on the edge of their seat waiting to know which boots I got, it was the Cabelas Predators. They're huge! I don't think I can drive with them on. Seem to be plenty warm. Couldn't find new bunny boots in my size. Most have sold out this year or are used. Of course, now it warms up. Can't win.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Guys, I’ve seen Ryan’s mulie. It’s a friggin monster boys!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ryan......what happened with your Custer tag? Also, we need to see your monster muley!!

Jeff

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Jeff!!! I finally got to use that knife I bought from you! If I get time to post pics, I'll put em up. Shot a little 5pt buck in WI. That's the first buck I've shot since I got that knife. Worked like a charm!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Tom....Glad it you like it! Congrats on the new baby also! Have you bought the little tike a rifle yet? My wife was REALLY impressed when I came home with a used model 77 in 270 for our 4 month old daughter!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by j_elky
Ryan......what happened with your Custer tag? Also, we need to see your monster muley!!

Jeff

I hunted hard for about 4 days before I found this buck. I knew he was there, a buddy told me about him and described him. I hiked my butt off and found him when I was walking back to the truck at about 11am when I had given up for the morning. go figure! I didn't need to look at him long to know he was the one I was after. quick score put him at a hair over 146". trying this new imgur thing, hope it works.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
Wow. Good season Ryan. Looking forward to those pics of the buck. Are you going to have it mounted? Also curious as to what an elk depredation permit is - okay, I understand what it is, but how does one obtain one of these permits? Sounds like fun. Also sounds like you need another freezer. wink

For those sitting on the edge of their seat waiting to know which boots I got, it was the Cabelas Predators. They're huge! I don't think I can drive with them on. Seem to be plenty warm. Couldn't find new bunny boots in my size. Most have sold out this year or are used. Of course, now it warms up. Can't win.

yes I'm getting both bucks mounted, I've never shot anything I considered big enough to mount until recently. I hope to shoot a bigger whitetail. the mulie will be tough to beat for me since he's just a few inches shy of 200 gross

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Congrats again Tom!

Congrats to the Chickenbuck girls too!

I processed my deer this weekend. I cut the backstraps in half and am going to try them on the smoker. Has anybody here ever done this? I would hate to dry them out and ruin them.

OH and tenderloins are still amazing btw! I wish the whole deer was one big tenderloin! lol

Jim,
this is how I've done mine, it's amazingly tender and you get the full flavor of the meat. I think I cooked them at 225-250 for 2 hours? hard to tell because my old smoker was a POS and I didn't trust the temp gauge thingy. I just got a feel for it and knew about how long to cook it. but I think my above statement is really close when I did these.
[Linked Image]

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Oh my. WELL DONE! Those are a couple of REALLY nice bucks. Well done indeed.

Last edited by CharlieFoxtrot; 01/10/18. Reason: So Tom knows I was at a loss for words. :)

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by j_elky
Hi Tom....Glad it you like it! Congrats on the new baby also! Have you bought the little tike a rifle yet? My wife was REALLY impressed when I came home with a used model 77 in 270 for our 4 month old daughter!!

My wife wouldn't care if I did that, that's why we're married. laugh . I've already laid the ground work and shes expecting it. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh my. WELL DONE! Those are a couple of really nice bucks. Well done indeed.

Really nice he says... that's about as big as they get dude. lol.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Great stuff Ryan !!

smile

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys! I haven't been a big rack hunter usually, but this year I drew two really hard to get tags, the custerpark one is basically a once in a lifetime if you're lucky. technically I can apply after ten years again, but the odds are so long that in all likelihood I won't draw it again. I wanted to make the best of these tags because there are some good deer in these areas. the mule deer was aged at approximately 9-10 years old, never aged the whitetail. surprisingly the mule deer tasted really good, I made a neckroast in the crockpot and man was it delicious! I cooked it on low for 10 hours with a little salt and pepper and a bay leaf in water halfway up the roast.

I'm seasoning the new masterbuilt smoker Kendra got for me for Christmas right now and should be having tenderloin tonight!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice job Ryan!! Looks like you had a great fall!!

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Great Bucks! sounds like you had a very good hunting season!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by tzone

Fixt up top. smile

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ryan

Very Nice.

Congrats on two very fine deer.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by tzone

Fixt up top. smile

Hahaha! grin

Page 1,691 of 1,842 1 2 1689 1690 1691 1692 1693 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,794
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.