G
Beautiful rifle right there. Wow!

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGray
Originally Posted by gerry35
Originally Posted by JGray
Why a Ruger No. 1? Hell if I know - guess I just really like single shots... wink but then again - why not a Ruger No. 1? I've never felt handicapped in the field, nor have I ever felt like a poser.

This 375 H&H IS known for excessive accuracy

[Linked Image]

No cherry picking - all at 100 yds with 4x magnification and will do it "all day long" (or until my shoulder gives out grin )

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When I really feel like a "poser", I prefer a Ballard with blackpowder...

[Linked Image]

Don't see too many guys using the 270 gr Speer BT, how does it perform on game? They obviously shoot well and must be decent if you are still using them.

I don't hunt a lot with the 375 but have shot one cow elk with it and the 270 Speer. Jumped her out of her bed at 40 yds - head on shot in chest. She went from standing upright to 4 legs straight up in the air without taking a step. Never found an exit or the bullet - probably in the gut pile, but it didn't seem to be overly explosive as the rumors indicate. I don't shoot many Speer bullets but the gun counter manager at the LGS here swears by them.

That sounds impressive, thanks for the info.

Gerry.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I don't own a Ruger No 1, but I also don't judge other people's guns. I buy/own/use the guns I want to and don't feel the need to justify my choices to anyone else, and I'd guess everyone else has the same rights in the matter.

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Another point for the Ruger #1 is the fact that the safety locks not only the trigger, but also has a striker block. Worth having.

I love the feel of these guns, especially the 26” barreled #1S.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'd always wanted a No. 1, but never came across the right one at the right time....made up my mind to buy one (a .45-70) at the LGS once, but when I got there it was gone. Finally, had a 1-B in .308 waved under my nose at a good price and bought it. Took off the Hubble scope on it, replaced it with a 1 1/2 - 5 VX3, wouldn't shoot worth a schitt....3 moa. Spent an afternoon playing around, relieving the forend in front of the receiver with some sandpaper wrapped around a 12 gauge shell, did a couple other things, don't remember what. Got it shooting right around 1 moa easily. I like it....I've killed some deer with it. .308 wouldn't have been my first choice in calibers for a No. 1 but I'm okay with it now.

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ploughman
I don't own a Ruger No 1, but I also don't judge other people's guns. I buy/own/use the guns I want to and don't feel the need to justify my choices to anyone else, and I'd guess everyone else has the same rights in the matter.

Bingo, but not a universally accepted concept around here. I do try to give honest opinions when asked though, and the reasons for them.

General discussions, OTOH, are a free-fire zone!

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think the title "why a Ruger #1" invites the response: "If you have to ask, you won't understand the answer".

30 years ago in the first few years of hunting I saw someone carrying a gun that did not have a bolt handle.... it might have been a No 1, I don't know for sure. Other than that, I have never seen a No1 in the woods/mountains/desert that wasn't mine. They just are not as popular....

They are more expensive, harder to get accurate, don't hold quite as many rounds in the magazine compared to a bolt or AR-15....

but they sure look nice!!!!! there's just something cool about them!

even the one's that aren't accurate (several of mine) will hold "minute of elk"

My reaction time is not fast enough for a follow up shot on a animal regardless of gun... usually by the time I recover from recoil and bring the scope back on, the animal is in on the ground out of sight. Well this one trotted a bit.... then fell over.

[Linked Image]

Here in AZ we don't get drawn every year and when we do, we spend a lot of time walking around or sitting and glassing..... so we might as well have a really nice looking cool rifle slung over the shoulder or resting in the lap while waiting.... right?

My favorite 2 rifles are pretty much the opposite extremes of the shooting sports... the No1 and the AR15.

shoot good!

Poole

R
R
Why a Ruger#1? I think Bill has it figured out. This is my second one. Paid way too much for this last one because I regretted getting rid of the first one. Mine have both had a habit of point of impact shifting around in addition to grouping problems. Lots of info out there on the why's of this and I'm working on this one. If you take the forearm off that hanger invites a lot of criticism. The triggers are, well, poor in comparison to others. In spite of that I still like to carry and shoot it. I guess that's why.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another plus for single-shots in general is that they're a pleasure to work with at the range, and the loading bench. My loads for both my Hornet and .243 wouldn't fit in the magazines of conventional repeaters and sit just off the lands. They "hang" well for offhand shooting, and I don't have to chase brass.

OAL for rimmed rounds is set via the plunk method.

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
they just scream classy when you see one. I love all three of mine and would love more. Buy one and see. If you don't like it, its not hard to sell one usually

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Flexible cartridge OAL is a definite plus Pappy.

There is quite a collection of chambering choices out there. Some you would not find in a bolt action or semi-auto.

Also, they are a gorgeous rifle, and as a lefty, the ambidextrous configuration is a blessing.

As a few have already said, the accuracy can be fantastic. So far, I have only had one #1 (out of 6) that would not achieve MOA or better.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I have a #1B in 30-06, it's just a classy and beautiful gun! I had to float and bed my forend, but after that it shoots .5 MOA.

7mmRM the perfect North American cartridge!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Master metalsmith Ron Lampert built rifles primarily on bolt actions, but had a lot of respect for the workmanship and engineering of Ruger No.1 rifles. On more than one occasion he told me everyone's gun safe should have at least one No. 1 in it. I have had a few of them over the years but the current one is special because of the previous owner. It is a varmint model in .220 Swift with outstanding wood on it. And on top of that it is also very accurate.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Haven’t read it all, but why not? Probably the sexiest mass produced rifle ever...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
It's not just Number 1s for me; it's falling blocks. The Rugers are just the easiest ones to come by. I actually like the Winchester-pattern guns more. Have two of those.

I can understand why they cost more than most bolt guns, but think $1800 is a bit much even so. I paid less than $900 for mine from Whittaker's. Any others I run into at a similar price might tempt me, especially 1As.

All I can say is, handle one, and shoot it if possible. You'll either get it or you won't.

That is sort of my feeling as well. I have a #1 in .220 Swift, but lean more towards the 1885. I can't justify the originals, but several Brownings have taken up residence in the safe over the years. From Hornet to .45-70 there is just something about them that appeals to me.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 16penny, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 54 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,340 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,637
Posts18,474,408
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.