Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
MCMXI Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I received a call this afternoon from a friend of a coworker who was hunting today in some nasty conditions including falling snow and low temperatures. He shot at an elk, cycled the bolt and pulled the trigger but it seems that the cocking piece didn't catch on the sear so he didn't get a second shot off. Given the conditions he was hunting in my guess is that the sear didn't return to the proper position due to ice in the trigger group. There could be some other form of contamination in the trigger group but that seems less likely but obviously not impossible. Now I'm curious if this is a fairly common issue for those that hunt in snow, freezing rain etc.

Thanks.

Offering FFL 07 & SOT services in NW Montana
[email protected]
GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I've had my fingers freeze.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by DollarShort

No hand gloves from the planet you came from ? you know you could have lost that finger right ?

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
The weather is a factor for many outdoor activities. There are some activities that need to be suspended due to the change in weather. Sometimes it is too hot or cold while wind and rain can play a factor in being able to do a particular outdoor activity. When it comes to using your handgun, pistol, rifle shotgun the cold and freezing weather may change how the weapon works and how well you are able to use it. One way to not have to worry about the issues that come from cold weather is to find an indoor shooting range that you can go to for shooting practice. Be sure you are aware of their rules and regulations and what is needed for you to be able to shoot. Make sure you know what could happen when you shoot in the cold temperatures.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by landlord44

No hand gloves from the planet you came from ? you know you could have lost that finger right ?

I was wearing gloves. A giant ski glove on my left hand.
It was the last day of the season, and the coldest day of the year. I went back to the truck after about 30 minutes 😁. Don't think the deer were moving that day.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've heard that excess oil could freeze up. Or possibly he got moisture in there that froze.

WHAT model of rifle??

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I had a Remington 700 trigger and bolt freeze up in Montana many moons ago.

It will not happen anymore. Had I minimally lubed the trigger and bolt and not brought the rifle inside with me at night.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by landlord44

Clark, is that you? I've tried hand gloves, but I find that foot gloves work better for me. And if I lose a finger, I'll just give the finger to you.

Of course, YMMV.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had a Remington 700 that froze up and would't go off when I pulled the trigger on a big buck. I had been hunting in the rain the day before and apparently a decent amount of moisture ended up in the bolt assembly. Acted like the safe was on and took me a bit to figure out what happened. Took the rifle back to camp and disassembled the bolt after being warmed up. Found plenty of moisture inside the bolt and learned a valuable lesson the hard way. That bolt had frozen solid with the excessive moisture that ended up in it. I basically hunted in a downpour the day before and should have done a better job tearing the rifle down and cleaning it, especially knowing the freezing temps were coming. Buddy shot the buck 2 days later and I get reminded every time I see the mount on the camp wall.

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Yep. Once.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lighter Fluid

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Same here. Had a 700 freeze up on me after being soaked with falling snow. Rifle was otherwise spotless but had enough moisture seep into the trigger group. After a good drying and wipe down it was fine. Never happened again.

Semper Fi
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Had auto shotguns freeze up hunting in sleet and snow quail hunting. Had to leave truck running, keep swapping guns. It was one of best quail hunts I ever had. It was about zero, birds wouldn’t fly very far when they got up. I had to keep swapping dogs too. After 30 minutes most of them would quit. I had to put them back in boxes to warm up.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Had a partner that it happened to. Another 700 in wet, sloppy snow that froze up. Cost him a decent buck too. He still hunts with a 700, though I don't!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, but almost all the rifles I've used over the years have had simple triggers like M70, Ruger MKIIs, or Mausers. Good reminder, though to check function before heading up the mountain, AND to dry things out after a wet day afield.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Never, but I use Mobil -30 degree synthetic to lube all my forearms

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Have had it happen twice. Once with a factory 700 trigger, the second time with a Shilen on a 700. Both times the sear didn't pick up.

These days my cold-weather rifles are open design like the M70.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Nope, I've never had it happen to me personally, but I know others who have had trigger problems after freezing rain. What kind of rifle did your buddy have the failure with?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When I hunt extreme cold conditions, and I've hunted in plenty, the rifles are taken apart prior to the hunt and every trace of oil and grease are removed. Most failures being talked about here are due to too much grease and oil. Then, when I get back, the rifles are taken apart again and appropriately lubricated. Never had a problem with a rifle "freezing" other than when I went swimming with it, but that's a whole different story!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Brothers had it happen a few years ago while in the middle of elk.
Not exactly sure it was trigger or firing pin but neither rifle would fire. One rem 700 and the other a Kimber Montana.
Was a bit of perfect storm, raining/snow day before lots of miles hunting, left the guns in truck overnight, weather turned below freezing and heater went out of truck.

Brother with Kimber crawled within 80 yards of elk but gun wouldn't fire. Tried to thaw it out while lying in the snow, no luck. Remington failed also.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (222Sako, 264mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 270wsmnutt, 43 invisible), 17,337 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,930
Posts18,539,151
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.