Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I like the rest of you enjoy playing with my firearms. And like the majority of you I like to take my reloading and shooting to the next level rather than just shooting factory ammo. Therefore I am interested in purchasing a bore scope. Is the Hawkeye the best way to go? In other words, is it worth the extra money over the lyman? Are there any other bore scopes out there besides these two?. Thank you very much for your comments. RRM

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Borescopes are neat. Barrelmakers love them as they sell a lot of barrels for them.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have had my Hawkeye for many years, and I am very pleased with it. I have not used the Lyman or any other to compare it with. A borescope is fun to use.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Rat Rod Mac
I like the rest of you enjoy playing with my firearms. And like the majority of you I like to take my reloading and shooting to the next level rather than just shooting factory ammo. Therefore I am interested in purchasing a bore scope.

Is the Hawkeye the best way to go?
I'd say so. I have two with their own high intensity lights and one right angle eyepiece. I'd compare it to the Oehler 35 chronograph as being top of the line. And also more expensive and more trouble. Folks have modified MiniMaglights for more light cheaper than the oem extra power light. One report was that the color balance shifted more than enough to notice but not enough to matter.

In other words, is it worth the extra money over the lyman?
I'd say so but then again I'd also say that the Lyman at its cheapest is a fine introduction, likely to be entirely satisfactory. There's a strong argument to buy the Lyman at its cheapest and replace it with a Hawkeye when the Lyman doesn't do everything you want and the Hawkeye will. That day may never come. The Lyman is lower resolution but easier to share and record. That said I do have the Hawkeye.

Are there any other bore scopes out there besides these two?.
There are many but not worth chasing especially compared to the Lyman IMHO either (1) intended to be affordable and useful but mostly for limited purposes such as taking to a gun show and looking at throats on a prospective purchase and such. (2) Sourced from former iron curtain countries or military armories and again intended for limited use in something of a go or no-go inspection. (3) Even more money and more specialized such as higher end products from Gradient (4) of limited use for guns like some of the fiber optic remote viewing devices from Harbor Freight that might work in a big enough bore but will be lacking both resolution and illumination

Thank you very much for your comments. RRM

Bottom line it's a fun toy and equally useful for things like looking inside cartridge cases for stretch marks BUT I'd buy an Oehler and lots of other top of the line toys that are likely to see more use first.

Last edited by ClarkEMyers; 01/15/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Hawkeye is a dangerous toy. I have a 270 that I've used for decades and was still accurate. The Hawkeye showed a bunch of alligator in front of the chamber that I tried to ignore. Finally had to have it rebarrelled, in spite of myself.
Turns out the Hawkeye was more expensive that I thought.
Best use is when you're looking at used guns.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (3333vl, 300_savage, AdventureBound, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 13,843 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,335
Posts18,546,250
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.