Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Have you given H 414 a try? It works well for me.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
A long throat doesn't hurt accuracy (at least in benchrest terms) as long as it's close to bullet diameter--which prevents the bullet from tilting as it starts down the bore. But if the throat is considerably above bullet diameter, it sure can. The first Ruger No. 1A 7x57 owned, a red-pad obtained in a trade from a friend in the late 1980's, wouldn't shoot any bullet that wasn't seated very close to the lands, and no lead-core bullet under 160 grains would do that. It shot REALLY well with 160 Partitions and RL-22, but the case neck wasn't holding much of the bullet.

I've turned back to working with a 700 Mtn Rifle, so chambered. It shoots Federal 175's and S+B 173's really well, but is cantankerous with other loads. I've gotten great accuracy with 154 Hornady SP's, but pitifully slow velocities. As of yesterday, 46.0 grains of H4350 would only get 'em to 2,425 fps. I'm tiptoeing upward to see if I can get 'em to the 2,700 fps range. The Gun Gack tome assures me this still oughta be safe territory in a strong "sucks" action.

Granted, a load with R15 that pushed this bullet to a scant 2,350 fps dropped a Dall ram quite neatly, but that was before I'd run 'em across a chronograph. It's a wonder he hasn't climbed out of the freezer to go resume his place on the mountain. laugh

Perhaps he figured 'twas easier to just lay down, rather than face Ready's back-up shot...

FC

FC, that H4350 load is somewhat anemic when I look at the results I got in three different 7x57 rifle with the 154 gr Hornady InterLock. Let us know how it comes out when you give it a little more gas..

Last edited by roundoak; 01/12/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I picked up a used tang safety M77 7x57 recently at a LGS that had the stock butchered. Rather than locate a replacement stock, I want to put it in a synthetic stock. Any suggestions?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Have you given H 414 a try? It works well for me.

I gave that one a whirl a while back, but got poor groups and velocity.

Originally Posted by roundoak
FC, that H4350 load is somewhat anemic when I look at the results I got in three different 7x57 rifle with the 154 gr Hornady InterLock. Let us know how it comes out when you give it a little more gas..

Will do. I wanted to start cautiously, and even there I had a hard time trying to reconcile Hornady 10th, Lyman's 50th, Barnes #4, and some other sources. MD writes in Gack that, what with the throating being all over the board, different rifles may need up to 3 grains different amounts of powder to produce like velocities with a given bullet. I figured I'd start at a "consensus" safe charge, and work up. To this point, the groups, at least, are encouraging.

I've got loads prepped up to 48.5 grains H4350, and I'll get 'em downrange once my new glasses arrive, and weather permits. Results to follow.

Thanks,

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FC, that 48,5 grs H4350 is about where the loads in my three rifles ended up. 48-49 grains. Velocity range is 2750 fps to 2800 fps. Two rifles have 24" barrels and the other 22" barrel.

IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
I saw that in one of your posts a while back, and that's what I used as a rough guide as I made this last batch. grin Many Thanks.

Once I get this rifle squared-away, this will be my next 7x57 load work-up project:

[Linked Image]

The traditionalist in me demands I stick with 175's. For now, the Federal Blue Box load prints well enough. Hopefully I can bloody it on a hog come March.

FC

- Mrs. FC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What model is that rifle?

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by roundoak
What model is that rifle?

I really don't know.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

People have told me it's a "98" of some persuasion. I measure 42" overall, which I'm told is short for a mauser. The barrel measures 21 3/8" from the front of the receiver. Googling brings up terms like, "Standard Model" or, "Post Office Model", but I'm not sure it fits neatly into any of those boxes.

All I know is that Rockchucker trolled me past a pawn shop in '15, and I left there with the thing under my arm. I had a fella put a taller front blade on it, on account of it shot way high. It feels great in hand, and I still need to bloody it.

FC

- Mrs. FC
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That action would be a good beginning for a custom rifle.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It is obviously a German military large ring 98 Mauser. It has a Nazi eagle Waffenamt stamp on the root of the bolt handle, so the bolt appears to be WW2 vintage, but the lack of Waffenamt stamps elsewhere makes me wonder if the bolt isn't original to this rifle and if the bolt is newer than the rest of the parts with matching numbers.

German military Mausers were chambered in 8x57, so if this is your next 7x57 project, I assume that it either has been rebarreled or you are going to rebarrel it. It looks kind of rough, maybe stored under poor conditions after it was captured, I don't recall seeing another 98 with a divot like the one in the receiver bridge.

Last edited by 260Remguy; 01/13/18. Reason: corrected grammar/punctuation
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
It's definitely chambered in 7x57. If the barrel was replaced, 'twas done long ago as the current one has external pitting nearly equal to that on the receiver, & the the blueing is gone from the muzzle. I've read some pieces that talk about Standard and/or Banner models that were originally chambered in 7x57, so I wonder if it might have gone to China, Bolivia, Ethiopia, etc. as an export gun?

The bore is probably a mess - I haven't looked. But, she shoots as well as I can see these days.

The extractor has definitely been replaced, as has the bolt release, and the bottom metal looks different than the rest of the receiver. It's not a total mutt, but I knew I wasn't getting a collector piece, either. I just wanted something that locked-up tightly, and could take a hog or 3.

FC

Last edited by Folically_Challenged; 01/13/18.

- Mrs. FC
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
It is obviously a German military large ring 98 Mauser. It has a Nazi eagle Waffenamt stamp on the root of the bolt handle, so the bolt appears to be WW2 vintage, but the lack of Waffenamt stamps elsewhere makes me wonder if the bolt isn't original to this rifle and if the bolt is newer than the rest of the parts with matching numbers.

German military Mausers were chambered in 8x57, so if this is your next 7x57 project, I assume that it either has been rebarreled or you are going to rebarrel it. It looks kind of rough, maybe stored under poor conditions after it was captured, I don't recall seeing another 98 with a divot like the one in the receiver bridge.

I believe you are correct about the bolt not being original as the rifle has crown over N proof mark.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A Nazi Mauser in 7x57? Odd.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All this 7X57 talk made me want to drag mine out and put it back as it was original. I have a Model 70 Lightweight, that came with iron sights. Years ago, I'd put a Winchester Featherweight synthetic stock on it, and removed the iron sights. It's been a good day to work in my gun room, so I put the rifle back in the original stock, and put the sights back on. One problem.....couldn't get the last screw out of the front base, and will have to have it removed by a gunsmith, or put the scope back on, which I'll probably do. [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
A few years ago someone was importing VZ24s in 7X57MM and most of them were rough, but they didnt last long at the prices they sold for, LGS in my area had them for $229 if I remember correctly. I havent seen a Mark X in 7X57MM in a long time and they used to be everywhere you looked.

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

I've turned back to working with a 700 Mtn Rifle, so chambered. It shoots Federal 175's and S+B 173's really well, but is cantankerous with other loads. I've gotten great accuracy with 154 Hornady SP's, but pitifully slow velocities. As of yesterday, 46.0 grains of H4350 would only get 'em to 2,425 fps. I'm tiptoeing upward to see if I can get 'em to the 2,700 fps range. The Gun Gack tome assures me this still oughta be safe territory in a strong "sucks" action.

Granted, a load with R15 that pushed this bullet to a scant 2,350 fps dropped a Dall ram quite neatly, but that was before I'd run 'em across a chronograph. It's a wonder he hasn't climbed out of the freezer to go resume his place on the mountain. laugh

Perhaps he figured 'twas easier to just lay down, rather than face Ready's back-up shot...

FC

Would like to see some pics of that ram if you have any. How far away was he?

"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by JamesJr
All this 7X57 talk made me want to drag mine out and put it back as it was original. I have a Model 70 Lightweight, that came with iron sights. Years ago, I'd put a Winchester Featherweight synthetic stock on it, and removed the iron sights. It's been a good day to work in my gun room, so I put the rifle back in the original stock, and put the sights back on. One problem.....couldn't get the last screw out of the front base, and will have to have it removed by a gunsmith, or put the scope back on, which I'll probably do. [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Looks nice, always like those Lightweights...never seen one with factory irons. I’d keep it in its original furniture if it were mine.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Joe
Would like to see some pics of that ram if you have any. How far away was he?

He was pushing 300 yards, but the downhill angle was so steep that the drop was likely closer to 100.

If you download the Chrome or Safari add-on to let you see photobucket pics, he should be on these threads:

II
III

FC

- Mrs. FC
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Thanks FC.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's possible that you have a Brazilian Model 1935 with a replacement bolt or, since it would have been made when the Nazi party was in power, the Waffenamt stamp was applied to the bolt on all Oberndorf Mausers, even the export guns. The odd things is that you'd expect an export military Mauser to have the country crest stamped on the receiver ring rather than the Mauser banner. The proof marks on your rifle look exactly like a picture of Brazilian 1935 that I found on the internet.

Page 10 of 11 1 2 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 160user, 1936M71, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 56 invisible), 2,586 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,931
Posts18,498,662
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.