Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by Yondering
That round is one of the dumbest things to come along in the gun world in quite a while. Seating the bullet deeper to restrict powder capacity is great if you intentionally want mild loads and want to use smaller powder charges. Otherwise - it's a marketing gimmick for a defensive load. Doing that in pursuit of a +P load is completely backwards.
Not at all. The .38 Special is a black powder era case (although it was rarely loaded with BP), and it has much more case capacity for the SAAMI pressure levels of the Special. So by reducing the case volume, you can actually make the cartridge a bit more efficient. The Special is often best with fast burning powders similar to the 9mm, so this give it 9mm type case capacity.

The only real downside to such a load is reloading with a speed loader; this round would be a bit of a challenge since it has nothing cone shaped on the front to "funnel" it into the chambers.

Kevin, then how about them making a load that uses .38 S&W brass, but seating the JHP bullet normally?

Liability concerns would preclude a hot load in an 38 S&W case.

Anyway, who cares about saving a few tenths of powder for the sake of efficiency when there's nothing impressive about the velocity or energy of this load.
Maybe the load contains a "magic bullet". Maybe not.
Meanwhile, buy something like Buffalo Bore or roll your own.

Last edited by night_owl; 01/17/18.

abusus non tollit usum
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe

I wonder if seating the bullet so much deeper also gives the effect of a bit more barrel length. It's all just academic speculation, I know - but interesting just the same.

Yeah, if it starts moving further back, it should have more time to pick up velocity before exiting the barrel.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by night_owl
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Kevin, then how about them making a load that uses .38 S&W brass, but seating the JHP bullet normally?

Liability concerns would preclude a hot load in an 38 S&W case.

Yeah, that actually occurred to me before reading your post, and I made a modification of my post with that in mind.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
130gr .38 Special load. Ha! There's a sucker born every minute.

Don

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
That round is one of the dumbest things to come along in the gun world in quite a while. Seating the bullet deeper to restrict powder capacity is great if you intentionally want mild loads and want to use smaller powder charges. Otherwise - it's a marketing gimmick for a defensive load. Doing that in pursuit of a +P load is completely backwards.
Not at all. The .38 Special is a black powder era case (although it was rarely loaded with BP), and it has much more case capacity for the SAAMI pressure levels of the Special. So by reducing the case volume, you can actually make the cartridge a bit more efficient. The Special is often best with fast burning powders similar to the 9mm, so this give it 9mm type case capacity.

Think about what you said there. Yes, it makes the round more "efficient", meaning it uses less powder to reach a certain velocity. Or in different terms, it can't make use of as much powder within pressure limits. As I said, that makes sense for plinking loads, like typical wadcutter loads and Bullseye, not for a defensive load.

Any time you reduce case capacity, you reduce power and velocity potential. Why market a +P load that is intentionally restricted to lower velocity because of less powder capacity? It would make sense if it was designed as a reduced recoil load, but it's not.

I'm pretty sure Federal's marketing department is either suffering from cranial rectal inversion, or knows that a lot of people really are that dumb and will believe this is the next best thing.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Think about what you said there. Yes, it makes the round more "efficient", meaning it uses less powder to reach a certain velocity. Or in different terms, it can't make use of as much powder within pressure limits. As I said, that makes sense for plinking loads, like typical wadcutter loads and Bullseye, not for a defensive load.

Any time you reduce case capacity, you reduce power and velocity potential. Why market a +P load that is intentionally restricted to lower velocity because of less powder capacity? It would make sense if it was designed as a reduced recoil load, but it's not.

I'm pretty sure Federal's marketing department is either suffering from cranial rectal inversion, or knows that a lot of people really are that dumb and will believe this is the next best thing.
They're not getting less velocity though, so that kinda kills your argument...or did you not catch that?
Additionally, lets say they did things your way. You would have to use large charges of much slower burning powder. That's fine if your ONLY criteria is making the chronograph tick a few numbers higher, but it comes at the expense of more recoil, but much more significantly for a defensive load; massive muzzle flash.

When you look at what they have produced, I'm not seeing that reducing case capacity has hurt the end product one iota. It's a balanced round.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Would have been nice to see a side by side comparison through the chrony (a believable one) with some other common loads. Kind of hard to say whether there is a velocity penalty or not, otherwise.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Shaking my head GunGeek. This is a very basic reloading principle and for all the experience you claim, you should know better. Pressure, capacity, and velocity are all related, you can't reduce capacity without affecting the other two.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Shaking my head GunGeek. This is a very basic reloading principle and for all the experience you claim, you should know better. Pressure, capacity, and velocity are all related, you can't reduce capacity without affecting the other two.
Yondering... I get your point, and you're correct on a technical level. My point is, for the round they're trying to create; there is no down side to what they're doing (ballistically speaking).

You're absolutely right on your principles of reloading; I'm not trying to dispute that and I'm sorry if I gave off that impression.

But specific to the cartridge they're trying to produce, reducing case capacity isn't a liability, and could have some advantages.

Their finished load has very high velocities for a 135gr .38 Special...so they haven't really left anything on the table that's to the detriment of the load.
Had they used all the case capacity, used a much slower burning powder; certainly they could have ticked the chrono higher. But for a self defense load, you have to consider muzzle flash. And by using faster burning powders, muzzle flash is greatly reduced, and that's more important than a theoretical extra 50fps or so.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Sounds like they are simply making use of the excess space in the case, chosen powder/charge weight/volume is giving optimum velocity numbers without increasing pressure beyond their set limits. Velocity IS a pressure sign!

Wonder if the load is compressed?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Don't think I quite believe 9mm +P velocities in a snub nosed .38 .. That'd be a handful for sure.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Anybody want to take a guess at the velocity (roughly) of the middle 158gr hollowpoint fired from a snubbie?

Don
[Linked Image]

Attached Images
Hollowpoint Testing.jpg (73.68 KB, 20 downloads)

NRA Certified Metallic Cartridge Reloading Instructor
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
850. Do you cast those or buy them. I'd like to get some.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is an awful lot of dialog over data from a busted chronograph.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JOG
This is an awful lot of dialog over data from a busted chronograph.

Exactly. Everybody else other than Guns.com seems to be clocking them in the low to high 800's, which is to be expected.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
This is the original H-S Wadcutter that was made by Albert's Bullet Co. for H-S before Federal bought them out.

This bullet was shot from a Model 36 2" at a row of 1-quart paper oil can filled with water. A typical HP would explode the first 1-2 cans and come to rest in the third to fourth can. This bullet at 950 fps exploded the first two cans, split the third can and the the base didn't stop till the 6th can. GREAT expansion and penetration all in one bullet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I still have a 50 Cal can full of various H-S bullets as it was one of the main ones I loaded for LEOs in the DFW area back when I was in the business. There are two .357 bullets, one jacketed and one straight lead...

[Linked Image]

The whole story about H-S bullets is in Chapter 22 of the M&S book STREET STOPPERS. The chapter was written by Tom Burczynski who invented the H-S concept...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Savuti
Velocity 300 fps FASTER than Federal's specs. Time for a new chrono.

LOL. "The bad news is, the round is traditional .38 Special slow. The good news is that I know a guy with a "fast" chronograph. Let's do an article."

Last edited by Cheyenne; 01/19/18.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
My point is, for the round they're trying to create; there is no down side to what they're doing (ballistically speaking).

Sure there is. They're getting standard pressure velocity at +P pressure. If the goal was a mild load, they succeeded, but is that what you expect when you buy +P ammo?

You seem to be placing a lot of faith in some obviously bad chrono data. You're also downplaying the effect of larger case capacity on velocity potential and pretending it would have to create a lot more flash. Both are false. Frankly, it's funny that you'd defend something like this as a good idea. It's marketing aimed at the uninformed, pure and simple.

As a side note, do some research on your theory of slower burn rate = more flash. Powder choice has a lot more to do with that than burn rate.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Originally Posted by Savuti
Velocity 300 fps FASTER than Federal's specs. Time for a new chrono.

LOL. "The bad news is, the round is traditional .38 Special slow. The good news is that I know a guy with a "fast" chronograph. Let's do an article."

Haha, you nailed it!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (1936M71, 007FJ, 2500HD, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 1badf350, 58 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,441
Posts18,489,489
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.