Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Can anyone recommend a good outfitter?...I have never hunted out of my home state of Pa. and have always thought of a Caribou hunt.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated....Thanks, T

"an armed society is a polite society"
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I can't recommend an outfitter but bring lots of money!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I hunted in Quebec in the early 90's great trip lots of game, but things have changed I believe.. Didn't care much for the French..

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I hunted moose with Red Indian Lake Outfitters this past Sept. I saw caribou almost every day. The caribou are not particularly wary and you can get fairly close to them for some good photographs. We had two hunters in our camp who had combination tags (moose/caribou). They both tagged out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sport hunting for caribou in Quebec ended with last year's hunt. Herds had crashed for a variety of reasons. Woodland caribou in Newfoundland experienced a population decline over the past 10 to 15 years and restrictions were placed on the number of tags and locations they could be hunted. Consequently prices went up as demand continued and supply diminished.
Central Barren Ground can be hunted in Northern Manitoba but I hear it is highly dependent on the migration moving that far South during the season.
Mountain caribou can be hunted in the Yukon, NW Territories and I believe Northern BC if you can afford a second mortgage on your home.
That leaves Alaska for the Western Barren Ground. Several herds, several options to get to them.
The days of reasonably priced caribou hunts with two tags per Hunter are gone, possibly for our lifetime. Glad I hunted Alaska in 1997 for $1500 for a week and hunted Quebec in 2002 and 2003. Saw an estimated 12,000 caribou migrate through camp over several days in 2002.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Woody, I'm glad you had some great experiences with caribou, the glory days may be over for good! I remember when the outfitters advertised fully guided 2 caribou hunts for $2995 and I couldn't afford it! Maybe it will come back.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Newfoundland Woodland Caribou are a pricey hunt because of limited the numbers. Having been to Newfoundland 4 times for Moose, I personally have no desire to hunt them. They seem kind of easy targets to me. I hunted Moose with Red Indian Lake also and can speak only of their moose guiding, but they are a class act. Charlie, my buddies were up this year the end of September too. Bunch of loud guys from Pennsylvania, not sure if you might have been there when they were. I was scheduled to go, but my son was born 9/21.

Labrador is pretty much shut down from what I've seen. Did a late fall/early winter hunt for them. Wasn't a trophy hunt, but we knew that going in. We tagged out for 8 guys.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, used up, worn out, bottle of Jim Beam in one hand and a .45 in the other, loudly proclaiming WOW-- What a Ride!"
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The porcupine herd here in Alaska is doing very well. Latest counts over 210,000 in that herd. Also the 40 mile herd is doing very well and fish and game has that herd over 70,000. The problem those are pretty much Do it yourself type hunts. Sitkadeer might know of folks who guide for caribou for those two herds. I think the central arctic herd has stabilized so you can fly out of happy valley, but with that I gotten qoutes from those air services charging $2,000 per person.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
I hunted in Quebec in the early 90's great trip lots of game, but things have changed I believe.. Didn't care much for the French..

I used to hunt Quebec in the early 90's. Hunting was great up there

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I have a name of the name of an Parsons Pond Outfitters is located in Newfoundland, Canada. I know a couple that I hunted with in Wyoming. he scored a Boone and Crocket record bull. I will B mail you.

Tom
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.