Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Why?? It's the cheapest insurance you can buy.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What really amazes me is that all these tough guys can handle the flu without needing a kleenex, but are sure to be permanently disabled by a vaccine.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
My question is, Why NOT take it?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by djs
Why?? It's the cheapest insurance you can buy.
Not really insurance. They missed again this year. They're preparing next fall's vaccines already, and the virus is mutating like crazy. Since flu swabs were instituted in the ER 8-10yrs ago, fully half the positive test results (indicating the flu virus) have been from people who have had the vaccine. I don't get it, and I've worked in healthcare since '74.

Last edited by shootinurse; 01/23/18.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got the shot yesterday and it gave me a headache and made me tired. I was talking to a med student in my class today and he said that is normal reaction. He said the best guess on the flu is usually 60%, but it is still worth getting it.

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Most people have.never had the flu. Most people think they have had the flu. It's kinda like seasickness. Once you've been there, you'll do everything you can not to repeat it.

Yep....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Most people have.never had the flu. Most people think they have had the flu. It's kinda like seasickness. Once you've been there, you'll do everything you can not to repeat it.

This^^^. People get the crud in their head and it moves to their chest. They miss 3 days of work and take 3 or 4 weeks to get completely over it and proclaim they whipped the flu when they had a bad cold.

I remember having had the flu at age 14. Dayom i wish i had had the innoc before that.

I had influenza in 1979. Was part of a task force in Zaire, and several of our team came down with high fever, n ausea and vomiting. By the time we left Zaire those ill had respiratory issues and were pretty sick. We were rerouted through Livorno where doctors boarded the plane and examined us all, and then to Rhein Main, where we were quarantined for about 3 weeks. During those weeks almost all of us fell ill with the same symptoms.

Figured out years later that they likely quarantined us for fear of a hemorrhagic virus. But influenza was no cuddly kitten either. I was glad to be on the ground with real medical care for my illness.

Edit; As bad as the flu was, the swine flu vaccinations of 1976 were worse. And I believe the actual numbers bear that out. I saw both up close and personal.

Last edited by johnw; 01/24/18.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
the flu shots arent perfect, they should work on something more effective.

A True Leader knows the way, shows the way and goes the way.
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by las
Well, then, I've probably only had the flue twice.... Not enough to bother with the needle I guess.

I consider "having the flu" corresponds with. " two days into recovery you are beginning to hope you will die" - before that, one is too sick to care.

I would not know about seasickness - if I start to feel a little queasy, I eat something and it goes away. Now, admittedly, I haven't been in anything too rough - just a 32' fish strangler in Bristol Bay. If it was an opening, we fished!

Either that, or my bung was so puckered, nothing could go up! smile

When you have the flu you alternate between fearing you will die, not caring if you die, kind of wanting to die. Floating in the air looking down on yourself dying isnt fun.

I will get the shot every year, if possible.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/10/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by las
Well, then, I've probably only had the flue twice.... Not enough to bother with the needle I guess.

I consider "having the flu" corresponds with. " two days into recovery you are beginning to hope you will die" - before that, one is too sick to care.

I would not know about seasickness - if I start to feel a little queasy, I eat something and it goes away. Now, admittedly, I haven't been in anything too rough - just a 32' fish strangler in Bristol Bay. If it was an opening, we fished!

Either that, or my bung was so puckered, nothing could go up! smile

When you have the flu you alternate between fearing you will die, not caring if you die, kind of wanting to die. Floating in the air looking down on yourself dying isnt fun.

I will get the shot every year, if possible.

I take it you're just now getting over it? Yeah, it sucks. So far so good for me, and no shot. I just try to keep my hands away from my face, avoid coughing people, and use lots of hand sanitizer.

IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
No TRH, i havent had the flu in about 30-35 yrs, PTL. Ive had it twice. I remember the helplessness and nearly dying from when i was about 14- 15. I dont want it again. I got the shot.

My son, strong as a horse and a bit over 35 didnt get the shot this yesr and it was his first time being very badly sick for many days, and to the point i was worried for him.

Normally he can put 15-20 miles a day on a piedometer chasing quail in the sandhills, mesquite brush and high thick love grass of west Texas, which would be a lot more difficult than covering the same on normal ground.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/10/18.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by CharlieFoxtrot
F*ck me, people are stupid.

YOU CANNOT GET THE FLU FROM THE FLU SHOT. IT'S DEAD VIRUS OR THERE IS NO VIRUS IN THE VACCINE. PERIOD.

Sorry to hi-jack jag, but people who put others at risk because of mis-information drive me crazy. Please go back to your regularly scheduled program.

No hijack and you are right.

I Dindo Nuffin
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (257Bob, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 160user, 21, 260madman, 48 invisible), 2,655 guests, and 1,300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,357
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.