Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Potassium pills every day for prevention. If I skip a few days, I'll start getting them.

GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've been troubled by them for years. Had my right foot lock up on me last night. Jumped out of bed and straighten it. Wished they could all be stopped that easily.
Had a good friend show me the benefits of 800 mg. of Ibuprofen. Hardcore back packers call it "Vitamin I". If I know I'm in for a tough day in the mountains, I take one before starting out and one every -4-5 hrs. And one before I go to bed. Without them, at age 73, I'm going to be in a world of hurt coming out from an opening morning grouse hunt. That hunt is 4.5 miles plus in and a 2700 ft. climb, BTW.
When I'm on my month long hunting trip, I will take one before bed if I've been hiking rough ground much. I sleep much better and never gets cramps. Trust me, after a tough day on the trail, I will get them w/o "Vitamin I". E

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Magnesium, zinc and calcium work for me.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Those lucky enough to not have chronic night leg cramps simply can't understand how painful and sleep depriving they are. I get them often, have had the issue since my mid 20's. I take potassium sometimes, have recently started taking it every day. Hope it helps. A couple of years ago my left calf locked up so hard that it woke me up yelling. I jumped out of bed and forced my heel down, desperate to make it stop. It was cramped up so hard that when I shoved my heel down I tore my soleus muscle (the one that runs all the way to the ankle underneath the bigger calf muscle). About half of it tore off and balled up down near my ankle. My calf swelled up to twice the normal size, I bruised all the way from my foot up to the back side of my knee and was on crutches for a couple of weeks. Doc said that if more of that muscle had torn I was looking at surgery. Took a couple of months to walk normally after that.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Terryk
Lack of potassium, magnesium, or water (dehydration) are often culprits. I had some dandy cramps after pushing deer all day. Lack of water for my case. Drank a few bottles of water and a banana and I was better.

Oranges or orange juice when bananas are not available.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
I get them ALL the time. Magnesium has not helped me. I have heard that antihistamines can help but who wants to take Benedryl at 3 am? I get them worse when I am dehydrated but I get them even when I am not too dehydrated some times as well. I wonder what works that can be taken long-term without ill effects.

I get them in my calves and a lot of times in my quads. Very rarely in my hamstrings. Those will make you cry. I can watch my quad quiver like it's in seizure. Only cure is the get up and walk it out. Sure ruins a good night's sleep.

Dennis, you might try some cheap store brand (WWorld, Walgreens, etc) loratadine. Its a great H1 antihistamine that doesnt make you sleepy.

I have been using Benadryl for many years for cramps, tried loratadine and it does not work anything like as well or as quickly, IME. I usually know when they are likely to come and take Benadryl at bedtime. Very rarely do I cramp in the night after that.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yes (Dr Art)told me the Benadryl trick just need to take them early at night or have a hangover like feeling in the morning.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I get jolted out of bed at least once / week w/ a calf cramp. I will occasionally get a severe cramp in the large adductor muscles in my thigh following hard climbs or snowshoeing in deep snow. I have found that stretching well after exercise and a banana post workout helps a lot. I drink 1 gallon of water daily w/ electrolyte supplements. If you drink reverse osmosis bottled water it is almost devoid of electrolytes. We set the timer on the phone and get up and move and stretch and exercise hourly for 5 minutes, since starting this regimen we have found that mornings are better. Old age sucks and must be resisted w/ exercise.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i forgot in my earlier post to mention soy milk. when i lock up i shotgun about 8 oz of soymilk( get the vanilla flavored and it ain't so bad!) will release my cramps within 30 seconds. ymmv

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pickle juice works for me. They seem to cluster, I'll get foot/lower leg cramps three nights in a row and then go weeks without. Doctor also suggested tonic water. Gives me a reason to drink tater sqeezins.

A government is the most dangerous threat to man�s rights: it holds a legal monopoly on the use of physical force against legally disarmed victims.
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I
So many different solutions . For those of you that yours is not working have some TONIC water with quinine close at hand, Several have mentioned it and I have used it and it has worked every time.

No expensive pills or or or other things that can cause other problems . Simple and not expensive or toxic, if you use moderation .

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kk alaska
Yes (Dr Art)told me the Benadryl trick just need to take them early at night or have a hangover like feeling in the morning.

I took the advice about the Benadryl for my foot cramps after reading about it here yesterday.

For the past several days, I'd get a cramp in my right foot from the big toe back.. That muscle was getting sore as billy goat's pecker, and getting worse with each cramp.

After I took the Benadryl, I only had one more cramp. It sure has been nice to have some respite from all that!

Thanks!

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (16penny, 12344mag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,322 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,820
Posts18,477,783
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.