Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
dogsled Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
I am in the process of downsizing. I have a Savage 1899 takedown model that I am thinking about selling. It has been a safe queen as long as I have owned it. The serial number dates it to 1923 from what I have found online. It has a Lyman rear peep sight as well as a flip up sight and a Lyman front sight. Bluing is thin on the receiver. I am pretty sure that the case is handmade and not a factory item. I am guessing that it's value is in the 2K range, just looking for a sanity check.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
GB1

D
dogsled Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
More pics....

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Caliber?

"Rhetoric is no substitute for reality." -Thomas Sowell
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O

Reality can be found by searching for more than one bid completed auctions at gunbroker.com. It may hurt your feelings but is the best source of unbiased information. GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hate to rain on your parade but that front sight didn't come out until 1926 with the introduction of the medium weight barrel. A 1923 rifle would have the lightweight barrel which means the forearm would be later if it has a later barrel. The receiver's serial number is stamped on the forearm near the rear of the barrel channel. It is also stamped on the buttplate and the rear of the buttstock. You have to remove the buttplate to see the numbers. The first three digits of the serial number would be helpful. You also need to post the caliber. The case isn't factory.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

IC B2

D
dogsled Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Caliber is 300 Savage. The 1923 date came from an online serial number database here

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.html

NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nice looking rifle!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
You need to confirm that your gun has matching serial numbers on the components as described above. Value is greatly affected if their is a mismatch.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Neat looking case, despite not factory as stated. Nice rifle.

Bruce
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../savage-99g-in-300-for-sale#Post12578223
The fact this hasn't sold yet both surprises me and can be used as the sanity check you requested as well.

IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gregintenn,

In fairness to the OP, this is the only place I have it posted. Pictures help, and I don’t have them.

I am just a poor salesman, or, I really want to keep it. Even though I have THREE 99Gs in 300. Lol.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To the OP,

You will know what it is worth when you actually sell it. Other than that time, we are all hot air. At $2K, I would expect for you to own it for years. And “years” was meant to be plural. At $800-900, a matter of weeks to months. Just depends on how fast you want to sell....

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If it was me, I'd first take it to the nearest Cabelas and hope to find the same buyer who thinks a 99G and 410 barrel without a case is worth $3K. grin

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
2K?

Stayin out of this one...

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Dogsled,
Looks like you have a nice 99G. And the case is nifty as well, probably meant more to the fellow that made it, but probably doesn't add much value for that reason.
The pics look pretty good, although a crack or a hole somewhere would affect the value.
What is the serial number on the belly of the rec'r?
You type 1923, but wouldn't be the first time someone mis-dated a rifle. I've done it numbers of times.
The reason the serial number/date of manufacture is important is that the 1923 date and the raised ramp front sight don't jive. At least as we understand it today. If you would confirm s.n.'s (rec'r, forearm, butt & butt plate)and that they match that would help. (some 99G's have 3 digits of s.n. stamped on the underside of the barrel as well).You may have a 99G with an earlier raised ramp than previously known.
There are some knowledgeable folks here and add good questions & comments. Sometimes one of the challenges is weeding out the comics, gun snobs and hot air. smile
The balls in your court. Provide s.n., which match and whether or not the barrel is s.n. marked and we'll go from there.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
D
dogsled Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks for all the feedback. There is no serial number that I can see on the inside of the forearm. I looked on the barrel and do not see a serial number either. I have not pulled the butt plate. The serial number on the bottom of the receiver is 251XXX. My guess at its value is based that on a gun digest book of gun values that is several years old that puts a 99G takedown in VG condition at $1400 with a plus up for peep sight. That said there are about 4 pages of 1899/99 models listed and I assumed the G model since that was the only one that listed a pistol grip and the serial number is in the range listed, so I could be off there. Just trying to understand what I have before going forward.

Last edited by dogsled; 01/28/18.

NRA Life Member
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dogsled,

I will be frank. If someone offers you $900 for the rifle, I would seriously think about taking it. Above that $, you may find it hard to sell. Even at $900, it may be hard. A takedown model G is nice. But it is in 300 Savage, which is or near the most common cal out there in that model. The case isn’t worth much.

It’s your rifle, so good luck in whatever you do.

RAS

D
dogsled Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by RAS
Dogsled,

I will be frank. If someone offers you $900 for the rifle, I would seriously think about taking it. Above that $, you may find it hard to sell. Even at $900, it may be hard. A takedown model G is nice. But it is in 300 Savage, which is or near the most common cal out there in that model. The case isn’t worth much.

It’s your rifle, so good luck in whatever you do.

RAS

I appreciate your candor. The Savage is outside my area of expertise, which is why I came looking as I said for a sanity check.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Well, Gun Digest and blue books are only a guide. Gives you an idea of potential value, current value could be plus/minus, it's all dynamic. But you're on the right track. Bear in mind perfect condition is rare, medium and lower are more common.
251xxx appears to be ~1923. The raised ramp front sight is still a mystery as they are "known" to have been several years later as noted previously. Could be an early raised ramp?? or the barrel could have been changed at some point?? That's why the s.n.'s are important. May give a clue as to whether or not the rifle has been changed or modified over time.
You can perform searches on gunbroker for example to see current sale prices.
If I was to guess a value now, I'd get my butt shot off 'cause some info is still missing.
I think I can safely say it is more than $500 but less than $1500. Doesn't narrow it down much, but that's where I'm at.

"Every day above ground is a good day."
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The buttplate shape and marking on this rifle are correct for 1923. A 1923 rifle should have a lightweight barrel. The earliest date I have seen for the medium weight raised ramp barrel is 1926. Hard for me to believe Savage had any of those kicking around in 1923. Look at the bluing on the barrel compared to the rest of the rifle. To my eye the wear on the barrel is not commensurate with the wear on the receiver. The OP states there is no evidence of a serial number on the forearm. The forearm channel would have to be enlarged from the lightweight diameter to the medium weight diameter which would obliterate the serial number stamping in the forearm. I believe this rifle was rebarreled. When was it rebarreled? The OP has not said anything about the barrel address. What is the barrel address? The second picture is the only one that shows the top of the barrel, and the picture is not very clear, but from what I can see it does not look like a typical Savage address. A close up photo would help.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

685 members (160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,064
Posts18,501,323
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.