Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Hi All, Have had an itch to hunt Impala for a long while and an curious as to your thought as to the best place. I know there is Impala hunting in the US and have looked at several sites in Texas but most of animals I see taken look somewhat different than African Impala. Is there a big difference between the African Impala and the exotics raised in this country?

Most of the sites I see are talking 7,000.00 US to hunt Impala in the lower 48. Is an African hunt he only serious option and what is your experience as to the price to hunt Impala in Africa?

I do not have a great deal of interest in hunting other plains game the Nyala looks interesting but I don't have an itch for hunting them.

Thanks for any response.

Bob

GB1

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
For $7000 I could put a 10 day hunt in South Africa together for you with about as many impalas as you want to shoot! That is a crazy price, typical price for trophy impala is around $450.

Last edited by TrophyGameSafaris; 01/28/18.

David Tenney [email protected]
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never looked into chasing them in the US, but I would have to assume you'd be looking at a high fence, possibly canned hunt in Texas. At 7 grand, I'd just as soon buy plane tickets to Africa and shoot a whole schitload of other critters while I am at it. I have no idea if they're any different in the US vs Africa, but for 7 grand they better run from that feeder right to you and be trained to suck dick for a few minutes before they get shot.

Impala are the whitetail of southern Africa....they're everywhere. Pretty much all safari operations in RSA and Namibia and elsewhere have impala on the menu and as mentioned above, significantly cheaper than what you're looking at.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I have never looked into chasing them in the US, but I would have to assume you'd be looking at a high fence, possibly canned hunt in Texas. At 7 grand, I'd just as soon buy plane tickets to Africa and shoot a whole schitload of other critters while I am at it. I have no idea if they're any different in the US vs Africa, but for 7 grand they better run from that feeder right to you and be trained to suck dick for a few minutes before they get shot.

Impala are the whitetail of southern Africa....they're everywhere. Pretty much all safari operations in RSA and Namibia and elsewhere have impala on the menu and as mentioned above, significantly cheaper than what you're looking at.

Haha oh shiit I'm crying!!

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This. We did a family trip in 2012, three hunting sons and a non-hunting wife and had a great time.

*New* South Africa Hunt Special for 2018:
This hunt is offered for groups or solo hunters. I am one of the US Agents for Kei River Hunting Safaris, owned by Andrew Renton. The price quoted here includes all taxes, food, lodging, guide fees, area transfers, drinks, catering, laundry/maid services etc.
Not Included: Airfares from US to East London, RSA, taxidermy fees, shipping fees, airport meet and greet in Jo-berg, tips or excess baggage fees.

Hunt Special $2950 USD per person
5 days of hunting 6 nights (1x1)
1 Gemsbok or Wildebeest
1 Impala
1 Blesbuck
1 Springbok (Common)
1 warthog
Non-hunter $180 per day
This is not a culling/management safari.
I have enjoyed many hunts with Andrew and his family over the years, as have many of my clients. I am happy to answer any questions you have and/or provide references. *Custom Packages also offered* Andrew is also active and responsive on AR. Good Hunting all and Happy 2018

Cross Hair Consulting
PO Box 864
Oakley, Ca. 94561
925-437-8644 (Mobile)
925-679-9232 (Office)
www.crosshairconsulting.com

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by TrophyGameSafaris
For $7000 I could put a 10 day hunt in South Africa together for you with about as many impalas as you want to shoot! That is a crazy price, typical price for trophy impala is around $450.

Exactly correct.
I arrowed one in Zim and two in SA. Was on plaines game hunt and don’t recall the trophy fee but believe it was $400 each.

NRA Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PM JJHACK - For that kind of money and a plane ticket you could have a life enriching adventure rater than just a hunt. you'get more than an impala while your at it.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Scottishkat,
Don't listen to these guys. Once you go to Africa you'll be hooked. HOOKED I tell you! You will forever dream of going back. You will build a trophy room in your house. You will drool over double rifles and buy every Africa hunting book you can find. Don't start. Impala are the gateway drug!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by Blacktailer
Scottishkat,
Don't listen to these guys. Once you go to Africa you'll be hooked. HOOKED I tell you! You will forever dream of going back. You will build a trophy room in your house. You will drool over double rifles and buy every Africa hunting book you can find. Don't start. Impala are the gateway drug!

Good one and true!

David Tenney [email protected]
US Operations Manager
Trophy Game Safaris
Southern Africa
Tino and Amanda Erasmus
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Never had the urge to do a safari, th commander wants to go see Africa, so I might as well make it a hunting trip. Thinkin sable and kudu would be cool.

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A small package in Africa could easily be done for that and the experience would be infinitely better than shooting one in Texas. There are allot more expenses involved but it could be done turn key for $7k if you don't go crazy with the taxidermy. Plus you would be hunting some additional animals. The quote by EdM is a good example of what can be had under your budget. Impala were $275 in Africa when I went 2 years ago and were just about everywhere. The PH also did game capture and said they usually sold for about $20-40. I had to show him websites of ranches in Tx for him to believe what they cost here.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do suggest you call Wade Derby as I have noted above.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Looked for anything impala related for the wife at safari conventions -- reminder in jewelry/ear-ring form of her own success.
It became clear that the cultural equivalent in Texas would be to hang something chicken related around your neck. Impala are food.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Go to Africa! Hunting paradise. Animals of every variety in countless numbers. Realistically I saw 200-400 Impala every day. Shoot to your budgets limit. Drinks around the fire at night. You could shoot a lot of impala on a $7k trip. Highly recommend Kudu hunting. Closest thing to elk I've found. Damn things can really hide in the bush.

Last edited by prm; 01/30/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also don't be afraid to bring your wife/girl friend or whatever. Africa offers some very "civilized" hunts especially in SA. Mrs Blacktailer was very impressed with one of the lodges we stayed in that had an all marble bathroom. Of course, you can also get to the other end of the spectrum if you wish like the camp we stayed in that had an upside down elephant jaw to sit on for the privy.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
+1 for Wade Derby at Crosshair Consulting and for Andrew Renton at Kei River.

Last edited by TBREW401; 01/31/18.
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for all the info Guy's. They must be feeding the Impala in Texas with gold plated corn flakes or something I guess. This is just what I needed to know.

Good luck and shoot straight.

Bob

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some quick math, you could hunt for 5 days @$450/day ($2250), shoot an Impala ($350), Springbok ($450), Kudu ($2400), and a Gemsbok ($1750) all for $6900. Of course there's tips and airline tickets, but the point is hunting in Africa is really a pretty good deal. If you REALLY like Impala, you could shoot six more Impalas instead of the Kudu! grin Good luck whatever you choose!

Last edited by prm; 01/31/18.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Impala were rutting when I was there.
That was fun. They are much spookier, therefore more challenging, than a whitetail.
Plus there are other animals around, like bushbuck, that alarm them.
It was a hoot!

Last edited by TBREW401; 01/31/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I am with you on impala. Beautiful animals that make beautiful trophies. If I ever get to Africa, my main goal will be to get a matched pair.

Go and shoot a couple of impalas, a springbok and a warthog. All these scream “South Africa” to me and should fall within your budget.

Or, splurge a bit and try for something like an impala, bushbuck, kudu, zebra and nyala. This is what I would do.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

98 members (260Remguy, 257_X_50, 450yukon, 79S, 300_savage, 6MMWASP, 12 invisible), 1,641 guests, and 953 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,756
Posts18,476,383
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.