Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
teesh Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
I’m looking to buy a new rifle and I am just curious to see what others might recommend for a new caliper. BTW I reload. I currently have a 223 in a Remington VSSF II that shoots great! But I need to buy a couple more rifles. Price isn’t necessarily a concern. I intend to use the new rifle for ground squirrels, jack rabbits and prairie dogs mainly. I’ve thought about a hornet in either 17 or 22. Also have considered a 17 Remington or a Fireball of some sort. I’m sort of leaning towards wanting a lighter rifle to carry a little easier than my VSSF. Not looking to build one. Have been looking at the CZ 527 since I’m real happy with my CZ 453 in 22lr. Don’t like the looks of the magazine but may buy the single round Calhoon mag. Thought about a 527 in a 204 Varmint but it’s very similar to what I already have. Do the hornets or fireballs heat up barrels as much as a 223 or 204 or can they shoot more before needing a break?

Any opinions on what would make for a good second caliber for varmint hunting? Also, I’m interested in bolt action.
Thanks.

War does not determine who is right - only who is left.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
teesh, I shoot a 221 Fireball. It's been my go-to coyote rifle for about 25 years. One of the things I appreciate about the Fireball is the trajectory, but not because it's the flattest.

Like most kids growing up, I pushed the limits of the 22LR so I familiarized myself with the looping trajectory. The Fireball seems intuitive to me in a way that makes shooting it reminiscent of my childhood forays afield with the 22. I have killed a coyote at 450 yards, but generally consider it ideal inside of 200 yards.
The barrel does not heat up much at all, but I intentionally keep the loads at 3000 fps. Hopefully I haven' given you the wrong impression about the fireball, I consider it ideal for almost everything I do while knocking around in the desert. It's a great little round and drops coyotes like the hand of God. Usually a small puff of fur and dropped straight down in their tracks.

If you talk to anyone that's spent time with one, I'm confident they'll say much the same. Great fun all around.

LOL
T
teesh Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Thanks FB2. What weight bullet does the fireball shoot most effectively? Do 50 grainers work?
I have TNT’s, Blitz’s, SPSX’s in 50 grns.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think so, but I shoot 40's. Nosler Ballistic tips.

LOL
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
It’s hard to go wrong with the 204 cartridge, accurate, fast, and deadly. I have a Rem 700 heavy barrel and one in sporter barrel also.
On the 221 fireball, I have a Sako custom. Great rifle and cartridge, but very limited guns chambered. The 17 fb seems to be a cartridge that really never took off after being commercialized. I like mine for PDs and have shot a few coyotes with it, but it’s not a “go to” coyote gun for me.
On hornets, I have a couple Anschutz 22 hornets. They are very accurate and fun to shoot. In my view they are an “ok at best” coyote cartridge, but great on rodents out to about 200 yards.

NRA Patron
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Get a CZ American in 17 Hornet.

I have the Varmint model, but an American would make a better walking rifle.

I am saving my nickles for a Howa Mini Bolt in 6.5 Grendel.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by dale06

On the 221 fireball, I have a Sako custom.

That's what mine is too. The Vixen action is pure gold for the fireball.

LOL
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

That sounds about a perfect split between 223 and a rimfire for ground squirrels, jack rabbits, and prairie dogs.

Of course a 22 Hornet wouldn't be bad, especially with some of the newer bullets like the 35 grain V-Max.

Last edited by DollarShort; 01/29/18.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hmmm. Since you have a .223, I would go a step up or a step down- .22-250 or .22 Hornet. Personally I would go the Hornet route.

If I were starting from scratch I would go .221 Fireball or .222, and plan on expanding up and/or down as money/inclination dictated.

Of course, handloading the .223 would expand its usefulness too. I've used .223's for everything from squirrels to deer, with cast bullets, varmint grenades, heavy cup&cores, and TSX's. Quite the versatile platform, as long as intelligent bullet selection is practiced.

Not that anyone cares, but the rigs I plan on toting to PA for coyotes over the next couple of weekends are a scoped AR .223 shooting 55 grain SP's, and an ancient Krag single shot, heavy barreled, 10x Unertl, .22 Maximum Lovell wildcat with 50 grain Blitzes at 3000+ fps for sh*ts-and-grins.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by DollarShort

That sounds about a perfect split between 223 and a rimfire for ground squirrels, jack rabbits, and prairie dogs.

Of course a 22 Hornet wouldn't be bad, especially with some of the newer bullets like the 35 grain V-Max.

I have used some of the 35 grain V max bullets, thinking they would be ideal in a 221.

Darn things are so blunt that they are almost round. Did not seem to increase my effective range much.

At Hornet speeds and ranges I bet they would be just fine. I dont have a 22 Hornet, but I think I might try one of the pointier bullets in one....maybe one of the lead free types?

I am MAGA.
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DollarShort

I have used some of the 35 grain V max bullets, thinking they would be ideal in a 221.

Darn things are so blunt that they are almost round. Did not seem to increase my effective range much.

At Hornet speeds and ranges I bet they would be just fine. I dont have a 22 Hornet, but I think I might try one of the pointier bullets in one....maybe one of the lead free types?

Made for the lever actions I guess

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My gut tells me a 221 fireball is what you have a hankering for.

Some folks get turned off reloading 17 calibers, not me. I rather like reloading the smaller stuff. So I have no problem recommending a 17 Hornady hornet in the CZ 527 action with the single shot follower. choose your preferance light or varmint barrel.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
the 17 hornet is the cat's meow when a guy mentions "not heating up the barrel". When it comes to colony shooting, my CZ 17 hornet is my go to medicine. Not that I don't like my .17 fireball, or my .17 Rem., or my .204. BUT none of them can hang with the little hornet when it comes to fast rate shooting and not over heating too quick. With a suppressor on the end, it's just almost too much fun.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I will probably get roasted for this, but the Hornady dies with the sliding seater make handling those tiny .17 bullets a breeze.

I am MAGA.
T
teesh Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Trnco......is the cz527 threaded for a suppressor?

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Jim I don't mind the sliding seater option. Yet I prefer the RCBS top loading option at considerable more expense. Need to do a little research to find the tall shell holder and the 17 FB seater die. works more consistent for my fat fingers.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Teesh, Do you re-load ? I grew up in the Ogden area, and while you have some great places to shop for ammo, it can be difficult at times to locate some of the odd ball calibers. Take this into consideration. It's no fun having a new .21 Fireball and spending $50 for a box of 20 rounds when you can get .22 hornet, .222 rem or .223 rem for $20 a box. As for a flavor of .17 cailber, seems most around here still with the .17 rem or .17 hornet. But ALL of them reload.

Good luck in your search.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Trnco......is the cz527 threaded for a suppressor?
They don't come that way but I had mine done. It's a hoot to shoot to start with and add a suppressor and a guy can't wipe the smile from his face while he's mowing prairie dogs down.

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This^^^^^^^^^^

I agree with you about the magazine......especially for a walking varminter but if you can stand the price RVB will modify them to three rounders. The cost was $45 back when I had my 17FB done but it's double that now. Still worth it IMO.

http://rvbprecision.com/shooting/cz-527-rifle-magazine-conversion.html

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will probably get roasted for this, but the Hornady dies with the sliding seater make handling those tiny .17 bullets a breeze.

Not by me.......I prefer Forster seating dies but they work the same way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

466 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,174 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,246
Posts18,486,192
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.