-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I could never understand how when we went to a different store or restaurant, they always had a set of Mom and Dad's money-because we sure wouldn't want change made with somebody ELSE'S money!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
My oldest sister was klutzy unfortunately for her I thought the word was slutty.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by gophergunner
I could never understand how when we went to a different store or restaurant, they always had a set of Mom and Dad's money-because we sure wouldn't want change made with somebody ELSE'S money!

LOL, at about 8 years old peering over Grandpa Jones, Jr and that damn Redbone hound at what was sprawled across that front porch caused me real confusion. shocked, still does ;]

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Heym06
Why dimes were smaller than nickels, when all other coins were worth more as they got bigger! What the hell was four bits!! I had fifty cents not four bits!

Nice to know I'm not the only one.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My co-worker was on a conference call with our India center and the Indians would stop and speak Hindi with each other. His young daughter happened to hear them and ran up to the phone and said "I want to talk them!" and started making up her own version of Hindi. He said he couldn't hit mute fast enough.

Quando omni flunkus moritati
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rebels and Yankees.

I knew from a very early age that Rebels were from the South and were the good guys and Yankees were from the North and were the bad guys.

But then on the Revolutionary War movies the British guys would say "that Yankee" and then later "that rebel" when referring to Francis Marion from S. Carolina, who was obviously a Rebel since he was from the South, so how could he be a Yankee? Or they'd sometimes say "those Yankees" and at other times "those rebels" when referring to the same group of people from Connecticut or Boston or someplace in Yankeeland, so how could Yankees be Rebels? Which were they???? It took me a while to figure that one out.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Rebels and Yankees.

I knew from a very early age that Rebels were from the South and were the good guys and Yankees were from the North and were the bad guys.

But then on the Revolutionary War movies the British guys would say "that Yankee" and then later "that rebel" when referring to Francis Marion from S. Carolina, who was obviously a Rebel since he was from the South, so how could he be a Yankee? Or they'd sometimes say "those Yankees" and at other times "those rebels" when referring to the same group of people from Connecticut or Boston or someplace in Yankeeland, but the people they referred to were good guys in the movie so how could Yankees be good guys? And why did they call Yankees "rebels"? Which were they???? It took me a while to figure that one out.

The Outlaw Josey Wales clear it up for ya?

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No, I figured it out about 15-20 years before that movie, but as a five year old it was one of imponderables of the Universe.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Southerners talked funny..

LOL
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Until I was in first or second grade, I did not understand that my grandparents were actually my parents' parents. They were just people we went to visit or in my dad's parents case, people whose house we vacationed at. Didn't help that dad's parents were called Missy and Pop and not grandma and grandpa.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought physical abilities were linked with ones age. A buddy was 5 months older than I, so he hit 6yrs before me. He was also able to out run me. When I hit my 6th birthday I figured we would be of equal abilities and challenged him to a race. He still outran me, and I could not figure out how that was possible.

Also, as a youngster, I did not have the concept of a "view" figured out. We'd crest a mountain in the rig, and all would start raving about the view. My responses were: where, how far, how big is it, what color, which way did it go, etc? Don't remember how old I was before I finally saw one.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/29/18.

1Minute
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
At the crusty old age of 7, I had the concept of “Life” all figured out....

Either you were born a baby, or you were born 30 years old, ‘cause NOBODY could possibly live more than 30 years.
After all, look how long it took me to get to 7.

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Summers eve douche commercials. I couldn’t figure out what they were trying to sell.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Beavers.

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Southerners talked funny..

The south shall rise again!!!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I distinctly remember a time when I was confused about whether WWI was still going on, and whether or not you could drive over and see it. WWI , at least in my mind, seemed to be going on just east of town. My guess was in the spring of 1961 or thereabouts which would have put me slightly less than 3 years of age.

It also kind of worried me that the TV and the radio kept having people coming in and out, but you couldn't see them coming and going. Eventually I got the handle on radio waves, but there was a time there where I was examining the back of the set to see where they were going. One day, watching Skipper Ryle on TV, I stuck my finger into a hole on the set and found myself suddenly transported across the room. Wow!

Shortly after this, my Grandfather died. There was some confusion there too. I knew he'd gone to heaven, but I didn't know why we couldn't visit him. The whole thing was forever immortalized because I was watching John Glenn's liftoff on TV and I asked my Mom if he was going to go past Grandpa on his way to space. Mom thought it was cute and sent it into the Cincinnati Enquirer.

I also remember watching TV and listening on the radio and wondering if this was all being done live. I knew some of it was make-believe. However, I hadn't quite grasped the idea of recording. Did the disc jockeys actually invite all those groups into the studio to play? Were all the actors on Gunsmoke doing this live? It took me a while, and I finally figured it out. Part of what helped was that Dad showed me his reel-to-reel recorder and they started letting me use the 45 record player. This fascinated me. A decade later, I was running an underground radio station, and my first degree was in Broadcasting.

However, there was one episode there which really blew my mind. Dad volunteered to take me to my first haircut. I was 3. He took me to his barbershop in Clifton on a Saturday. I was cool about it all until Glenn Ryle showed up. For those of you who don't know Cincinnati, Glenn Ryle was a local TV personality best known for his morning children's show. In those days it was all in Black and White. Glenn came into the barbershop. My Dad knew Glenn. Dad knew all the TV and radio people in those days. Glenn came up to me and said hello. Now, if you knew Glenn, you'd know he was the nicest guy in the world. You'd also readily agree that he was absolutely the greenest man you ever met. Glenn had a dark olive complexion that rivaled the WIcked Witch of the West.

[Linked Image]

Of course I'd only seen the Wizard of Oz in B&W, so Glenn was the greenest. That freaked me out. It freaked me out that this guy I'd only seen on the TV was in the middle of the barber shop, and he was waaaay to big to fit into the TV. A whole bunch of things swirled in my head and I found myself screaming at the top of my lungs, not fully knowing why. Dad had to take me home with half a haircut. I got to know Glenn while I was in college. Glenn remembered me.

Last edited by shaman; 01/30/18.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A few come to mind.

Said to my dad that the cows were playing piggyback. "They're humping boy!"

Regarding the highway signs that say lodging... I told dad, "there's sure a lot of logging going on." Mid-70s Oregon there sure was.

Couldn't understand why our purchases were limited because mom had a bunch of checks.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Two things I remember very well

We were on a family road trip and stopped at a resturant in a nearby surburb

In the window there was a sign "Waitress Wanted" I was so scared to go to the wash room I was sure that the law was looking for her and she was hiding in there and she was going to get me

I cant believe it now but thats truth

I went to wash my hands in Grandmas bathroom I thought I did a great job because all the dirt was in her wipe towel so I showed her I was so proud

She beat my azz

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I guess I was a bit hard of hearing as a kid too..

I'd hear that old jingle about Bluebonnet margarine, and wondered why in the world...

"Everything's better with blue vomit on it".... sick

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
From two friends," I thought the trees made the wind blow". "I thought dogs were the daddy's, and cats were there the mommies".
I thought the county road grader was going backwards all the time.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

506 members (1234, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 1badf350, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,472 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,016
Posts18,500,347
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.