Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LOL Jim.

Some of you need new sarcasm meters.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Its outrageous.

They should send three quarters of their money to Haiti...or Detroit.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I once watched Jim Gallagher, a pretty much no name PGA golfer hit five golf balls with a 5 wood and you could cover them with

a towel. This was back in the early 80's with crappy equipment.

I too played college golf for a couple of years. Shooting 75-77 most days. Senior year of high school I played the course in

Madison, Ms the day after a PGA event from the back tees, exactly where the pros played it. Shot 71, the best round of my life by

far. Two 71's would not have been close to making the cut. Two of my classmates that had signed SEC scholarships and one was

all SEC, barely broke 90. Both were eventual State Am Winners. I shot in the 60's dozens of times on normal courses with my low

being 65. My friends that played pro golf average 67 on these courses. None of them made it.

Much respect for the ones that did. They are guaranteed nothing. Except the endorsements they have earned. If you don't play

well, you are done.

Eagle Lake, Mississippi is close to heaven.

"Everything Hipsters touch turns to chit........Period..
Whisky.....Beer.....Tobacco.....Boots....Clothing....Gear......you name it..
Good thing the fuggers don't like firearms.." Fieldgrade

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They do hit bad shots. I watched Jesper Parnevik hit a duck hook that probably went 150 yards and never got higher than five or six feet off the ground in a practice round at the 2000 US Open. It was a very long par four and he was waaaaaaaaay back after that shot.

He made a par, of course. They do hit bad shots, but their recoveries are the main thing that set them apart from an amateur who is a great ball striker. And that is all mental.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For sure. I seem to have an iron-clad rule to never hit only one bad shot per hole, LOL!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
How does their income hurt you, Jim?

All these sponsors could turn the support money back to the employees maybe? I didn't do that math but it looks like Waste Management is spending a half a billion dollars on golf. I know some people that worked at Bass Pro paying employees peanuts with a 10 cent annual raise. Horribly aging computer system running DOS programs. Frequent crashes and the cashier catches all the chit for it. They get told times are tough but BP spends millions in Nascar.

Last edited by smarquez; 01/30/18.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J

It doesn't. I was just joking around.

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

It doesn't. I was just joking around.

Maybe it does with increased costs to the consumer.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I suppose....no free lunches.

I am MAGA.
B
BLG Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
We could always get Bob/Isaac a call and find out what he thinks.

Clyde

P.S. ---for the sarcasm impaired, this is a joke.

The liberal mind is an endless black hole of stupidity.
IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They truly earn every penny of it! I can't even fathom playing that well, let alone in front of a crowd! I was an on-course scorer for a PGA event. TV does not do justice to what they can pull off.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Doesn't John Daly kinda prove everything wrong?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I know a couple of guys on the PGA tour.
As an earlier poster said, the prize money primarily comes from corporate sponsors and TV rights.
As for how much they make in endorsements, the rule of thumb is that for every dollar they annually earn in official money, you can estimate that they make an equal amount (again, annually) in endorsements (clothing, club, and ball manufacturers, etc.).

Last edited by John_G; 01/30/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

I've been close enough to listen to the player/caddie discussion on "they are that good" shots a couple times.

They all come to Boston on Labor Day Weekend and we go down first day, less crowds. First year we went we got in-front of Tiger, Phil and Adam Scott by a few holes and waited, first impression was they really aren't that big. Adam Scott is a skinny little dude.

Jumped ahead to a par-3, about 190, two tiered green, Tiger went first and carried to the second tier, by about a foot, he was pissed, a 190 yd shot and he over hit it by about a yard.

Phil was next, he was between clubs based on the conversation, so decided to hit the ball left of the green, left of the bunker and hook it around, hit the ridge with the spin and it would trickle right down to the hole. I was thinking "geeze, just choke down and hit it straight". What do I know anyway, he did what he said, ball started 20 yards left of green, took a left turn, settled into the ridge and rolled down next to the hole.

Last year my son and I were sitting by the green when someone, some no-name player ,missed the green to our side, he was severely down sloped on the lie, to a down hill green, with a ball that from 5 feet away we couldn't even see. He got there, walked up to the ball, looked at the green and flopped it perfectly 3 feet onto the green where it rolled nicely down the hill. We were amazed figuring he'd be luck to get it in the air and then stop it before the other side of the green.

They are that good, it's not how far (though that's impressive) or how straight, it's the control of distance and curve, then when they do make a mistake they can recover.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
To me, golf professionals are part of a true meritocracy. There is simply no way to fake it in golf. Real pressure, real challenges, real skills.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by smarquez

All these sponsors could turn the support money back to the employees maybe?

Why would they do that? The goal is to be profitable. Paying anything back to employees other than the bare minimum to keep them working at a satisfactory level is simply throwing away profits by raising costs. So, they throw that money to the investors, stockholders, owners of course. The employee only gets more when there is a perceived chance that the employee will work harder or better, generating more income than the increased cost, and thus increasing profits.

Whether endorsements are profitable to companies is arguable. But they are certainly intended to be so, and if they are not, then a company that is better at judging how much to spend on endorsements and advertising, might very well out compete them, all else being equal.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Yes but if the investment of sponsoring players generates more than it costs, they then have more to turn back into the company, and if it didn't, they'd get out of it.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Yes but if the investment of sponsoring players generates more than it costs, they then have more to turn back into the company, and if it didn't, they'd get out of it.

That's always what I figured.

I am MAGA.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

686 members (160user, 204guy, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 16penny, 1lessdog, 63 invisible), 2,283 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,883
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.