Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#12582984 01/25/18
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have been considering getting an 85 Grey Wolf in 30-06 but I have been reading about the ejection issues and it makes me concerned about buying a gun and then finding out it has that problem. Anybody have that gun and have thoughts? I really don’t want to put on the high mounts. Should I cross it off my list and move on?

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have passed on a few great deals on Sako 85 in 30-06 length action.

I have heard too many horror stories from credible sources.

Some apparently were able to fix theirs with a new ejector spring.

Sounds like Beretta won't offer any help at all.

FÜCK Jeff_O!

MAGA
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Only issue I’m aware of is if your running a scope with large turrets. The ejected case can hit the turret and fall back into the chamber. I don’t get why would anyone want a target scope on a hunting rifle anyways. Search this forum for any gun ever made and your going to find haters.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
It has nothing to do with hate for Me, I like many things about the Sako 85 rifle ( not the cheesy clamp-on scope mounting system though) I have owned a dozen or so model 85's in one configuration or another but mostly Finnlights, i have also experienced the dreaded Sako 85 ejection issue on most of the 30-06 length actions I had and Beretta CS was zero help, I have dealt with CS from several gun companys and I would rate Beretta and Kimbers as the worst and Smith Wesson and Ruger as the best...My advise on buyin a Sako 85 is "Caveat Emptor" as that is a lot of money to invest in a rifle that likely will have an ejection issue but its your money spend it as you wish and good luck.....Hb

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Nateknight
Only issue I’m aware of is if your running a scope with large turrets. The ejected case can hit the turret and fall back into the chamber. I don’t get why would anyone want a target scope on a hunting rifle anyways. Search this forum for any gun ever made and your going to find haters.

They don't hit because of big turret scopes. That's just an excuse.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Agreed turrets have nothing to do with it. I’ve had ejection issues with 85’s in 270wsm, 270 win, and 30-06. They all contacted the bottom of turret housing. The wsm would fall back into the action. The other two would clear every time bit ding off the scope. The only one I tried to fix is the 30-06. A different spring and extractor fixed it but it just barely clears now. I’ve got a 7mmRM that has always ejected perfectly. Ejection isn’t this models strong suit but can be perfectly acceptable or corrected if need be.

Last edited by Horseman; 01/26/18.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I have a new 85 arriving today in 30-06. Fingers crossed I didn’t jinx myself by talking about this issue.

Last edited by Nateknight; 01/26/18.
V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
My Kodiak in 375 nailed the scope on ejection every time, scope was a Leupold 2-7x. Sold it and bought a Winchester M70. I recommend something else for that kind of money.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Too many nice older ones out there for me to take that leap of faith. The two-lug Sakos are classic, fine rifles, if a bit heavy by current standards.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Fierce actions are Sako clones. You might talk it over with them. But, don't expect a cordial response from them. They got their panties in a wad when I mentioned its likeness to the Sako 85. I am simply suggesting they may be willing to fix it if it does happen. They couldn't stay in business if their actions did the same.

My 85 Finnlight 300 WSM cycles like a dream. I wonder if anyone has contacted Sako on this matter?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by wiarcher
I have been considering getting an 85 Grey Wolf in 30-06 but I have been reading about the ejection issues and it makes me concerned about buying a gun and then finding out it has that problem. Anybody have that gun and have thoughts? I really don’t want to put on the high mounts. Should I cross it off my list and move on?

My suggestion would be, if you're more of a one gun guy, purchase the best custom build you can afford & be happy with it the rest of your life. I have a Remington 700 in 308 that was/is incredibly accurate out of the box. That gun cost me $400. It could have been my lifetime hunting gun......if I were happy with one gun. But, I'm not.

I have two Sako 85's. I love them, really. But, if they exhibited the ejection problems I would not still have them.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
. I wonder if anyone has contacted Sako on this matter?

I have read that plenty have and the problem was never resolved. This very issue is why I never purchased a Sako despite really wanting one. One would think if the ejector is the same on all then they would all exhibit the same issues.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Reyn

I have read that plenty have and the problem was never resolved. This very issue is why I never purchased a Sako despite really wanting one. One would think if the ejector is the same on all then they would all exhibit the same issues.

The issue isn't the same on all 85's because case length and weight affect ejection angle. Eject a 85 slow and watch the case go straight up until the extractor takes over and turns the direction of the case almost 90 degrees. It's asking a lot of a bolt action mechanism and a minor difference in case length changes things sometimes enough to cause problems. Also how fast you operate the bolt makes a huge difference on this action. More than other rifles with standing ejectors IME.

Last edited by Horseman; 01/26/18.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Sample of one, but I have never had a problem with my only Sako 85, a 6.5x55.

Mathew 22: 37-39

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by cra1948

Plenty of them work just fine and when they do they're hard to beat. Great little rifles.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by Horseman

Plenty of them work just fine and when they do they're hard to beat. Great little rifles.

Agreed........Hb

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I have an 85 in 300win mag. Never had any ejection issues.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Originally Posted by Horseman
Originally Posted by Reyn

The issue isn't the same on all 85's because case length and weight affect ejection angle. Eject a 85 slow and watch the case go straight up until the extractor takes over and turns the direction of the case almost 90 degrees. It's asking a lot of a bolt action mechanism and a minor difference in case length changes things sometimes enough to cause problems. Also how fast you operate the bolt makes a huge difference on this action. More than other rifles with standing ejectors IME.

Yeah, I remember it being more noticeable in longer actions it seems. There are some videos on Youtube of folks showing what it is doing. There was one video where one guy kept asking questions in the comments because he was considering one and was concerned with it. I messaged him and asked if he ever bought one and he linked me to a video he did where he also had the problem.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O

I will add my samples of two. Both Sako 85 finnlight's one 300 WSM and the other 25-06 both with Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 Z600 scopes.

Never a problem with ejection.

Ted
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
I haven't had any ejection problems with my short action Finnlight in 7mm-08. Running a Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 using low Sako Optilock Ringmounts (S1701900).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 16penny, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,398 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,501
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.