Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Thanks, Ed T.
Yes, I would steal a clue from the bigger tipi's and go with a multiple-segmented and overlapping pole system for the paratipi to give it more strength. At least 3 or 4 sections.
The other thing that I would like to see, eventually, is one of these stoves in a cylinder shape. The box gives a little more cu. in. in the same basic size and shape but I like the looks and feel of the cylinder--no sharp corners. But it is harder for metal shops to work with circles, especially if they are going to make multiple, duplicatible, units......they like straight lines and sharp corners. The box utilizes space better in the backpack too.

rz

GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
wyoelk

I don't think the paratipi/pole stove would work out. It would reduce the adjustment of the pole. May take up space in the front. I like to hang out in the front. You can move the stove all over the shelter due to the collar system of the Kifaru stove.

I do like it for the larger tipis but never found the stove in the center to be a bad thing. In the paratipi it is the more center pole that eats up space.

Razor.

Just roll the body. That is what I did for my stove. I would not know how to make a side door etc in a round upright stove.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Razor- What's that stove weigh?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Ken,
With hardware and pipe I think it weighed just less than 7 lbs. Those "Z" brackets, which attach to the pole, are simply a heavy shed door handle cut in half. The door handle happened to be dished out along the handle and so mated with the pole pretty well. Anyway, its thick and heavy. Could be swiss-cheesed to lighten it.

I have found with the tipi poles that, once setup, there are two basic positions that I find myself adjusting to at any given pitch site. There is the high and low temp settings. That is, air temps. At night, or during a storm, the tipi sags and I bump up the pole. When warm the tipi shrinks and so I return to the original pitch setting. But I don't adjust the pole. I use a peg or rock to slide under the pole. Once I have something to shim the pole I just leave them by the pole and use them as needed. Its so much faster and easier to slide something under than to try to spread the pole segments. So I don't have a problem with the stove hindering pole settings.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Awesome...that is one interesting stove.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Ed. T is a man of his word. I got the new front for my Kifaru small stove.

[Linked Image]

The old front still worked fine but the flap came lose. I got the stove in '04 and have burned it 100's of times. Betting my issue is very rare but Kifaru backs their products. Thanks Ed. T

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,662
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.