Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am thinking about using a peep sight on the Lithgow but I can't seem to find one.
You got one Ingwe. Can I ask where?
Any leads?

Last edited by szihn; 02/06/18.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by szihn
Jorge, I am a gunsmith. It's my full time job.
So yes, I cut them myself and engrave the bottoms so they look very much like the ones that came from Birmingham and London.
If you have a 10 shot military mag that you'd like cut down let me know. I could probably do it at the same time I do my 2 for these 2 rifles.
https://image.invaluable.com/housePhotos/holts/13/565013/H1121-L75012862.jpg

The link above shows a Lee with a magazine made in London. It's about that same shape as what I make.

Ingwe, what load and bullets did you use? I am looking at what is available here in the US and most if not all are made with fairly thin jackets. One possible exception may be the Remington Core-Lokt. I have yet to test them. I have shot them and I like the accuracy I got, but I stupidly didn't section any or shoot any into my test trough. I will hunt deer and antelope with the Irish Lee, but I also may use it for elk and I would like to fins a bullet that I can trust to go through and break big bones. I hope I am not asking too much of the 303, but I don't think so. In the old days it was very popular for moose in Canada, but I am told these were mostly shot with 215 grain CIL bullets and those are not made anymore.

Whast are your thoughts?

THanks! I would love to engage you for that. It's a NoI MKIII so it has that little "button" on the magazine if that makes a difference. PM me please and we can get this going!

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by stxhunter
bang flop with a wait for it.....270. and cows are much better eating not nearly as tough as an old bull.

[Linked Image]

MMMMMMMM, and in a nice salt water brine too. cool

Good stuff KW, that looks like a young one, good to know the little 303B has the starch to get it done on nilgai.

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I am thinking about using a peep sight on the Lithgow but I can't seem to find one.
You got one Ingwe. Can I ask where?
Any leads?

Mine was on a Mark IV Number 1 ( or is it Mark I Number 4? can never keep that straight...) But at any rate it has a flat sided receiver, and it was easy enough to D&T for a Williams peep that would usually go on a M94 Winchester...

Not exactly a Lee Speed kinda rifle , but pretty cool nonetheless.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well heck, I may not find one for my 100 Irish Lee Medford or my No 1 Lithgow.

Anyway...........how about telling us about the bullets and load you used?

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well heck, I may not find one for my 100 Irish Lee Medford or my No 1 Lithgow.

Anyway...........how about telling us about the bullets and load you used?

OK..you might hate me for this, but the rifle would shoot .308 diameter bullets, so I stoked it up with 180 NPTs and I forget what charge of powder but Im pretty sure it was IMR4895 and off we went! ( It has ben a few years since I hunted with that or any other iron sighted rifle...)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Good stuff, KW! They're some of the best eating I've ever had.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Well now, that may be an idea.
My 2 rifles that I am making both have .310 groove diameter barrels. I re-barreled them both. In fact the Lithgow came to me with no barrel in it.
So maybe a 30 cal would be ok in these also. I'd use a 165 or 180 grain Nosler partition is they shoot well with them.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Thought some of the brethern here would get a kick outta this. One of the brothers who owns the ranch in Kenedy county where we hunt came up upon this bull today. Having never shot a nilgai he thought it time to bust one. Dunno the range, but it was a boom flop DRT , one shot with his trusty old #1 Mk III SMLE sporter he's had for years. Knowing him, Im sure it was the cheapest factory ammo he could find and it was probably 10-15 years old! laugh

[Linked Image]

Huge beasts.
That Enfeild looks like a kids toy gun beside it.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well now, that may be an idea.
My 2 rifles that I am making both have .310 groove diameter barrels. I re-barreled them both. In fact the Lithgow came to me with no barrel in it.
So maybe a 30 cal would be ok in these also. I'd use a 165 or 180 grain Nosler partition is they shoot well with them.

JB and I have a theory about those NPTs....thinking that because of the rear core being exposed they might obdurate to fit the bore......just a theory...but it worked in my rifle!

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I cut one mag down today. It's not polished or engraved yet, but the Irish Lee is coming together nicely.
I got the sight installed too.
The Lithgow will be close behind it I hope.

[Linked Image]OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA by Steve Zihn, on Flickr

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Well heck, I may not find one for my 100 Irish Lee Medford or my No 1 Lithgow...

Steve, pardon my ignorance, but is the receiver radius on those Enfields close enough to an '03 Springfield that an aperture sight for one would work?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's a bit smaller so you can hollow out the base for a Springfield sight and fit it beautifully, but the "L arm" is longer for the Springfield so you can't bring the windage adjustment far enough to the left to make it work if you did mount one up.

Looks good but you can't zero it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

OK, Today I made the front sight base, sight, barrel band swivel mount and ball-head rear swivel stud. I zeroed at 100, 200 and 300 yards with the express sights.

Now I am ready for sanding of the wood and metal polish. I will engrave the metal before I rust blue the gun. Checkering comes at the very end of everything else.

I hope to find time for finish work on this rifle in the next 2-3 weeks. This one is for me, so there is no pay-day. I have to work on it a few hours a week, and do the paying jobs the rest of the time.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Now that's Spiffy Steve!! I like it!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Sharp!!

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
But we have no Nilgai in Wyoming.

I'll probably just have to substitute an elk, antelope or deer.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 264mag, 1911a1, 260Remguy, 64 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,202
Posts18,524,171
Members74,030
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.