Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I met Matt DiBenedetto through one of his high school friends that I work with in the USAF at Vegas a couple years ago. That dude is just plain cool and is really loving his racing career. His team is growing (GoFas) and has recently partnered with Wood Brothers. I am very excited to see what that small team may be able to pull out.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Lot of driver/ car changes this year
Daytona will be a demolition derby.
Anyone watch the ARCA race?

Last edited by TBREW401; 02/10/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
An old Coast Guard buddy of mine has been working on pit crews since he got out. In 14 he won a championship with Harvick, and last year he won a championship with Truex. He's with Kurt Busch this year, so I am pulling for them. His name is Tony Cardamone. He was a mechanic at our SAR station and LOVED to put a wrench on things. He's living the good life now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Also, 1st time w/o an Earnhardt in the race since around 1980 or so............and that's sad.

Dale Sr. was the best to ever sit behind a wheel, like him or not.

MM

Actually, there is an Earnhardt in the race. Jeffrey Earnhardt, grandson of Dale Sr, is driving the 0 car for StarCom Racing.

I agree that senior was arguably the best ever!

GK

sawbuck Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I still think of Dale at times and his many post race interviews explaining how some driver he was racing managed to wreck, or if he happened to be in victory lane the way he always thanked Speedy and the Boys back at the shop. After he passed you might say NASCAR kind of drove off and left me. Partially because there had been a spate of fatalities in NASCAR preceding Dales fatal crash including Adam Petty and Kenny Irwin Jr both at Loudon and serious life changing injuries for Ernie Irvin, Ricky Craven and Steve Park.

With nobody left to torment Jeff Gordon and the added influx of young talent, it was easy to slowly step away from watching the sport over the next couple years. About 5 or 6 years ago I started getting back into watching. NASCAR is loaded with talent, the cars and tracks are safer, the points system having been tweaked several times makes sense and is more fair in rewarding performance and helps keep the races compelling.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Your right Sawbuck. There is more talent in NASCAR now then there ever was. The racing is so much better and the cars are better.
In the good old days there would only be a dozen cars left on the tack by the end of any race and two or three on the lead lap. Most cars dropped out because of mechanical faliure. Nowdays only a couple will have a failure. There was only 3 or 4 drivers that had a chance of winning a race. Now there are 20 drivers with a good shot at winning.
I've never been a huge Jimmy Johnson fan but you have to give him credit for being in the top three drivers to ever climb into a cup car. It's amazing how him and Chad can make a car that's a slug at the start of a race and by mid race have the fastest car on the track.
The kids coming in are unbelievably talented. Look at Chase Elliott. At his age he is a much better driver than is father was. Ask his dad, he'll tell you.

Music washes away the dust of everyday life
Some people wait a lifetime to meet their favorite hunting and shooting buddy. Mine calls me dad
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by jimy
The Winston cup was what racing was about, the schitt show you watch now is the big time wrestling of wannabe's, what kind of man could raise not one but two of the biggest hemorrhoid host's in the world as the elder Busch?

I think I would rather floss the neighbors cats teeth, than watch today's version of Iroc racing Daytona 7 1/2 mile race!

You're pretty much on target..............WWF at it's best.

Also, 1st time w/o an Earnhardt in the race since around 1980 or so............and that's sad.

Dale Sr. was the best to ever sit behind a wheel, like him or not.

MM

The King was much better than the Intimidator. Same number of championships and way more wins.

I remember one year Dale was racing toward the finish with Terry Labonte at Bristol. Jeremy had the lead with a lap to go. Dale did what Dale did best when he couldn't find the speed to pass. He spun Labonte out, and he was just rattling his cage a little bit. At a Pocono race shortly thereafter Dale found himself in the lead late in the race with none other than Jeremy Mayfield behind him. Jeremy pulled an Intimidator on Dale and won the race. Crybaby Dale didn't think that Jeremy was "just rattling his cage a little bit." I have to admit to laughing pretty hard when Mayfield made him eat his own words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C79DaWrMD70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wF-VhY6fitU

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem
Your right Sawbuck. There is more talent in NASCAR now then there ever was. The racing is so much better and the cars are better.
In the good old days there would only be a dozen cars left on the tack by the end of any race and two or three on the lead lap. Most cars dropped out because of mechanical faliure. Nowdays only a couple will have a failure. There was only 3 or 4 drivers that had a chance of winning a race. Now there are 20 drivers with a good shot at winning.
I've never been a huge Jimmy Johnson fan but you have to give him credit for being in the top three drivers to ever climb into a cup car. It's amazing how him and Chad can make a car that's a slug at the start of a race and by mid race have the fastest car on the track.
The kids coming in are unbelievably talented. Look at Chase Elliott. At his age he is a much better driver than is father was. Ask his dad, he'll tell you.

Don't know how much racing you've been around,but to call today's NASCAR as the best ever is a huge reach at best. There are some talented drivers but the racing is pathetically boring. The tracks are mostly one-groove, the cars so aerodynamically sensitive that the racing is unending follow-the-leader. In the name of safety the "car of tomorrow" was introduced in 2008. The outspoken drivers all called it a POS. NASCAR has declined ever since.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Bristol night race is the best race of the series. Short tracks under the lights is what it's all about. And there's always someone bumper to bumper and fighting for position somewhere on the track.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kroo88
Don't know how much racing you've been around,but to call today's NASCAR as the best ever is a huge reach at best. There are some talented drivers but the racing is pathetically boring. The tracks are mostly one-groove, the cars so aerodynamically sensitive that the racing is unending follow-the-leader. In the name of safety the "car of tomorrow" was introduced in 2008. The outspoken drivers all called it a POS. NASCAR has declined ever since.

Then there's the overload of commercials, and never ending caution laps......10 yellow flag laps for a spring rubber on the track, bunch everybody back up for a monster pileup and a red flag.....

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by aalf
Originally Posted by kroo88

Then there's the overload of commercials, and never ending caution laps......10 yellow flag laps for a spring rubber on the track, bunch everybody back up for a monster pileup and a red flag.....

The spring-rubber cautions are how NASCAR superficially injects some actual racing back into the one-groove monotony.

I retired from the Johns Manville asbestos pop tart factory in ‘59, and still never made the connection.—-Slumlord
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
88 car on the pole. Alex Bowman filling some big shoes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't hate NASCAR but I like road racing better.

The good news is that Road America is starting their season with an AER race on the 16th.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I bet there is a lot of pretty women there.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by whackem_stackem

Her and Ricky slit up. She's doing Arron Rodgers now.

Does his boyfriend know?

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nascar must have issued that magic plate again like they did for Dillon in the 3 and Danica in the 10, and many others in the past.

sawbuck Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Car owners control their number(s).

Poor Jimmy. Bring on Thursday!

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sawbuck
Car owners control their number(s).

Poor Jimmy. Bring on Thursday!

Yeah, but I was talking about that magic (oversize) plate that delivers extra speed for selected racers to qualify

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glad to hear NASCAR is starting back up. Perfect napping sport. Can watch the start and a few laps, take a couple hour nap and wake up for the ending.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The homeless bums in Daytona will eat good.
Damn that place is schithole.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (10Glocks, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 76 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,456 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,678
Posts18,493,839
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.