Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
DS certainly has issues that show with his sentiment on LEO's. Yes, there are "bad cops" and bad tactics that get them hurt and killed. But to use a statistical argument solely as a basis for his statements relies on a false premise. Those who are hurt or killed in the performance of their trade usually are found to have had inadequate training, equipment, took shortcuts and possibly complacent. While some of this can be true for LEO work, one aspect is a game changer. The extreme level of interpersonal contact and the emotional underpinnings of such encounters can't be measured. If you haven't been in that position that necessitates split-second decisions, then you cannot appreciate that pressure. When heading to a call, you have no idea as to its accuracy, the mental/physical state of the person(s) you are about to meet. You don't know their intent, whether they are high, drunk, suicidal or willing to escape custody at any price. None of the other "trades" are met with cell phones poised and ready to capture your every move. Body and squad cameras are ready to document too - the good and the bad.

The tradesman doesn't face shingles, bricks, lumber, fishing nets, shipping containers or trash cans that have an ulterior, sinister motive. While they are just as "dead" and the family just as devastated, there is a difference. None of these intangibles had the intent to hurt or kill a LEO. Those you meet at the call location may have a different agenda. While training and experience is meant to increase your survivability, there remains one other factor to consider. The LEO is the only force standing between society and chaos. None of these other valuable tradesmen will get summoned when you call 911.

Last edited by bigwhoop; 02/11/18.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Like I said, I did not fully understand his position.

He figured that if you were killed doing the job you were paid to do....you were not a hero.

I think that his train of thought was that anyone who died doing his or her job would then have to be considered a hero.

Hero garbage men, hero fishermen....so forth.

Hell, a garbage man is a hero whether he lives or dies....to me anyway.

Wow.... someone actually got the jist.

But that excludes the military? GMAB.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If the gun is pointed at the cop, then yes, absolutely, they should get shot at before returning fire. I believe that whole heartedly. That’s what they signed up for. I couldn’t do that.... that’s why I’m not a cop (one reason). We ask our soldiers to do just that, and they’re in a F’n war zone for christ’s sake.

If the gun is pointed at another “civilian”... then I believe they are justified in shooting first.

Protect and Serve the general public.... not yourself.

Wow....If you wait until you get shot, before returning fire, your tactics suck.

I asked my brother in law cop once why cops use lasers. Does it aid in accuracy or speed?
"No. It's because no one sane keeps fighting once that red circle lands on thier chest."

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Like I said, I did not fully understand his position.

He figured that if you were killed doing the job you were paid to do....you were not a hero.

I think that his train of thought was that anyone who died doing his or her job would then have to be considered a hero.

Hero garbage men, hero fishermen....so forth.

Hell, a garbage man is a hero whether he lives or dies....to me anyway.

Wow.... someone actually got the jist.

But that excludes the military? GMAB.

You saw my thoughts on the Military.... they’re ALL heroes, alive or dead, still serving or not, ALL heroes. That isn’t/wasn’t their job.... it was their life.

PS.... I thought you were done with this?

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cops do it for life, as well.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have absolutely no fear of being killed by any law officer. However, I have very much a right to fear being killed by thug like urban types, melanin or not. Stop catch and release. Stop catch and incarcerate. Start catch and bury.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Heart attacks, suicides, and driving accidents kill the most firefighters.

The firemen killed in building collapse or in a flashover while conducting a primary search get the headlines.

Its actually kind of a disservice.

The emergency services has struggled for years to recognize ways to lower LODD's.

Some of the reasons we have kind of plateaued are cultural, some tactical, and some are just because.

A few years ago a couple firemen responded to a structure fire.

The fire had been intentionally set in order to lure emergency responders to the scene so they could be murdered.

One fireman was killed, one was seriously injured...by gunfire.

Something like that is not going to be stopped or avoided. There was big talk about arming fire fighters.......that went by the wayside.

It was treated as a huge problem....but statistically it was not.

Yes, sometimes schit happens....no way to beat that.

Thats not to say that there are not ways to prevent or lower LODD's though.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by kellory

Nope... it’s a job.

When a cop from Texas gets “deployed” for 15 months to Chit-cago.... and his wife and kids are left at home to fend for themselves.... I might buy part of that.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I just love the flip view here. We have another expert from Colorado, with minimal exposure to the knuckle dragging hordes of savage apes just looking to destroy YT making self proclaimed views. Spend a bit more time in Chitcongo or Detoilet before thinking the world is all legal grass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heart attacks, suicides, and driving accidents kill the most firefighters.

The firemen killed in building collapse or in a flashover while conducting a primary search get the headlines.

Its actually kind of a disservice.

The emergency services has struggled for years to recognize ways to lower LODD's.

Some of the reasons we have kind of plateaued are cultural, some tactical, and some are just because.

A few years ago a couple firemen responded to a structure fire.

The fire had been intentionally set in order to lure emergency responders to the scene so they could be murdered.

One fireman was killed, one was seriously injured...by gunfire.

Something like that is not going to be stopped or avoided. There was big talk about arming fire fighters.......that went by the wayside.

It was treated as a huge problem....but statistically it was not.

Yes, sometimes schit happens....no way to beat that.

Thats not to say that there are not ways to prevent or lower LODD's though.

I remember that.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nope... it’s a job.

When a cop from Texas gets “deployed” for 15 months to Chit-cago.... and his wife and kids are left at home to fend for themselves.... I might buy part of that.

They "deploy" firemen, because the job rarely comes to you. And servicemen have failed, if the war comes here.

Edit: my son is a new fireman, and worked the Montana wildfires. He is employed here locally. He ain't dead, but he is clearly a hero.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Nope... it’s a job.

The obtuse nature of DS's comments confirm his lack of rational thought. But hey, he has the right the say whatever he wants no matter how inaccurate.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...ic-drop-in-police-officer-deaths-in-2017

Of course even 1 is 1 too many. I do think the term "Hero" has been widely abused. Just showing up for work does not make one a hero. The problem is the Hero language is being used to suppress any reforms within the policing community, being used to turn the police into a military organization, being used to justify the salary and pension abuses within the system. The word is being used to push propaganda and has watered down what it really means and should mean. That being said, these two LE Officers are indeed hero's and deserve to be remembered as such.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Here's the typical example of the useless apes LEOs have to wrangle each and every day. Yeah, police must be the problem. Stick your head in the sand a bit deeper libtards.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESid6IUliGc

Last edited by littlecmonkey; 02/11/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Harry M

Of course even 1 is 1 too many. I do think the term "Hero" has been widely abused. Just showing up for work does not make one a hero. The problem is the Hero language is being used to suppress any reforms within the policing community, being used to turn the police into a military organization, being used to justify the salary and pension abuses within the system. The word is being used to push propaganda and has watered down what it really means and should mean. That being said, these two LE Officers are indeed hero's and deserve to be remembered as such.

Wow! That is a lot of mileage you got there for the "abuse" of the word hero. Care to add a little context and justification to your wild statement? Or are you just flapping your keyboard with your own agenda?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Originally Posted by Harry M

Wow! That is a lot of mileage you got there for the "abuse" of the word hero. Care to add a little context and justification to your wild statement? Or are you just flapping your keyboard with your own agenda?

You do not believe the term "hero" has been over used and abused in this country?

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Nope... it’s a job.

The obtuse nature of DS's comments confirm his lack of rational thought. But hey, he has the right the say whatever he wants no matter how inaccurate.

How am I incorrect?

Cop punches in at 9:00 leaves at 5:00... works his 40... just like the next guy. Goes home, sleeps in his bed, takes his kids to soccer practice, eats home cooked meals, etc. That.... is a job.

Is his job “harder” or more “volatile” than most? Probably....

Is it more dangerous? The statistics clearly show that it is not.

Every time a cop is killed should we fly the flag at half-mast and shut’er down for the day? No

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nope... it’s a job.

How am I incorrect?

Cop punches in at 9:00 leaves at 5:00... works his 40... just like the next guy. Goes home, sleeps in his bed, takes his kids to soccer practice, eats home cooked meals, etc. That.... is a job.

Is his job “harder” or more “volatile” than most? Probably....

Is it more dangerous? The statistics clearly show that it is not.

Every time a cop is killed should we fly the flag at half-mast and shut’er down for the day? No

Yes, you are incorrect. Cops are never fully off duty. They're just paid during thier shift, but never completely off grid. Any more than a soldier is off duty in a war zone. If the chit hits the fan, he will be in the thick of it, with or without body armor, backup, or your good opinion.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Dogshooter,

It might be a good idea, if you find yourself in a hole, to stop digging.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
It ain’t a hole.... it’s a soapbox.

Just because I don’t think we should offer up every dead cop for Sainthood.... I’m the azzhole.... I’m good with that.

I’ve been “wrong” before.... but WAY more often than that, I’m guilty of being correct... and an azzhole.

Funny that y’all think I have to be “wrong” and “delusional”.... though I’m sure, to most folks (though obviously not here) , I’m far more correct than you guys.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 43 invisible), 2,210 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.