Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Been buying almost all of our milk at a local Walmart for a good while now typically priced at any where from .88 cents to $1.25 a gallon due to a discount grocery store that opened in the same town and started selling milk at .99 cents a gallon and continues to keep it within a few cents +/- of that price.

Times sure have changed..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joken2

Used to be pretty common back in the day when cows had been eating the green tops off of wild onions even store bought bottled milk smelled and tasted like wild onions.

In the spring of the year, when the onions first began to grow, that was a common thing. It was also the only time I didn't have to drink milk. I loved it when my grandpa came in the house..."the cows have been in the onions again." I also could dodge drinking milk if we had fish to eat, because the old folks had a superstition about that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hanco
Probably a few babies came from the milkman

And, supposedly, from the mailman as well.
grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
I can still remember his name, Marvin Marsh.

Ditto. "Mr. Jackson". The milk was packed in crushed ice and sometimes in the summer he'd give us kids little chunks of ice to eat although most times we'd just throw them at each other.

Our dog Candy bit him on the ankle one day. He was at the kitchen door talking to my mom and he stepped toward her to hand her the milk and Candy lunged and nipped him good. I was a few yards away and remember he said a bad word and wasn't real happy about that, but this was before the days of lawsuits for everything so nothing came of it.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
So you're old enough to remember ice delivery, then? smile

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
We had all kinds of delivery people in our town. The milk man, egg man, the local laundry would pick up and deliver your dry cleaning. The Charles' Chips guy was weird. He would let himself into the house whether anybody was home or not. Also, the local clothing and shoe stores had people who would go around collecting for the suit, dress, & shoe clubs. You gave them a dollar or whatever a week towards credit in their stores so when you needed something it was already paid for. I used to deliver groceries for my Dad's little market too. I wish we could go back to those days.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Talus_in_Arizona

No. I grew up in the 1960s and '70s. Americans had been using electronic refrigeration and freezers since the 1940s. My folks remembered ice deliveries, though.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes I was one!! Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Heck, we still have milk deliveries in our neighborhood. We had a hot divorcee living two doors up who used to get "the service" on Mondays around 8 p.m. every week. Funny thing is, Johnny the Milk Man finished his route at 7:00. 'Guess he had to stop back to drop a load of non-dairy creamer!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Our local dairy stopped door to door delivery in the late 60's, was the beginning of the end for our small town dairy.

Ted
IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

No. I grew up in the 1960s and '70s. Americans had been using electronic refrigeration and freezers since the 1940s. My folks remembered ice deliveries, though.

No,I meant Jim.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Interesting that there were so many people who'd fix things back then, like umbrellas. That was before we became a disposable society. Today, umbrellas are made so cheaply that you expect them to fail after a couple of years, and they're cheap enough that you throw it away and get a new one. Same with just about everything. Toaster stops working? Toss it and buy a new one.

Back then, keeping things running was a way to make a living. Everybody wasn't chomping at the bit to get the latest version of everything. Telephones were made to last, basically, forever, for example. In the 1960s, we bought a GE upright freezer unit, and it was still working well into the 1990s. I don't recall anyone ever coming to repair it, either. It spent the second half of its existence in the garage, but still plugged in and still used. I don't think 30 years of operational life is typical anymore with these units.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

My grandfather used to go apechit ballistic if you had the refrigerator open for more than 5 seconds. Hahaha

My have been some psychosis held over from the "ice days"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Pelican Creamery. They had ice cream on the trucks. That was a rare treat.

I don’t remember the glass bottles, just the cartons.

I remember the bottle. My mother used to pour off the cream on top to use for coffee.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We still have a small local dairy that sells milk in glass bottles although they don't deliver. Bottles are no longer made so when he can't get used ones, he has to switch to plastic.

This is a huge dairy area. We have over 1/2 million cows within 75 miles of here. Some dairies have as many as 10k cows and 5k dairies are common. They milk around the clock, using a very large amount of illegal labor. Now they breed the cows with what you might call GMO semen. They've genetically altered the semen so only X chromosomes are present. A heifer calf is worth $500 or while a bull calf is only worth about $50.
Almost all the milk goes into cheese and other manufactured foods. Needless to say, they don't deliver door to door.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Interesting that there were so many people who'd fix things back then, like umbrellas. That was before we became a disposable society. Today, umbrellas are made so cheaply that you expect them to fail after a couple of years, and they're cheap enough that you throw it away and get a new one. Same with just about everything. Toaster stops working? Toss it and buy a new one.

Back then, keeping things running was a way to make a living. Everybody wasn't chomping at the bit to get the latest version of everything. Telephones were made to last, basically, forever, for example. In the 1960s, we bought a GE upright freezer unit, and it was still working well into the 1990s. I don't recall anyone ever coming to repair it, either. It spent the second half of its existence in the garage, but still plugged in and still used. I don't think 30 years of operational life is typical anymore with these units.

Myself and my entire family, in-laws included are part of that generation. Build anything, fix anything, won't pay anyone to do any type of repair work.

Guess that's why I butt-heads with imbeciles on here that question me when about building a custom home for less than $100 sq ft. Because we do most all the work ourselves inside the family with several licenses among us.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
We used to get milk in small milk cans that had a rubber hose at the bottom. Bring it into the house and put into the “milk machine”. It was a small refrigerated cabinet that held two cans and when you needed milk you took a pitcher, pulled out the appropriate knob and filled said pitcher. Think they switched over to the glass gallon containers in th mid 60s. Funny how some things still stick in your mind. Dave

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Family lived in Southern California during the war years. There was a popular song then "MILK MAN, KEEP THOSE BOTTLES QUIET!"

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a milk man up until 1982 or 83.

Still have an old McColl's Dairy truck deliver milk to the little old lady down the street once a week.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Here's what they looked like when I was little.

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 61 invisible), 2,483 guests, and 1,209 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,397
Posts18,488,893
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.