Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
so when I first read this headline I was like - man it must suck to lose a large amount of money like that

then I read the story.....

---------------------------------

A Colorado couple said they sold everything they owned to buy a sailboat and set out for the open seas together.

Within two days, their dream became a nautical nightmare.

On their way to Key West, Tanner Broadwell and Nikki Walsh's voyage abruptly ended in John’s Pass off Madeira Beach, Fla., when their 28-foot sailboat struck something underwater Wednesday night.

"We hit something in about 8 or 9 feet of water and it stopped the boat completely," Broadwell told TV station WFTS.
Tanner Broadwell holds his dog with Nikki Walsh at Madeira Beach, Fla., on Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2018. The couple who abandoned their workaday lives to buy a sailboat for a once-in-a-lifetime adventure instead lost almost everything when it sank on day two of their journey off Florida. They escaped injury when the 28-foot boat hit something and capsized Wednesday in the Gulf of Mexico near Madeira Beach.

Water flooded into the cabin, starting to sink their fantasy life. The couple grabbed social security cards, cash, IDs and their pug Remy as they called for rescue.

A ship arrived about an hour later, the Tampa Bay Times reported, but the water was too shallow for it to approach.

So the couple and Remy jumped in, leaving their dream vessel behind to capsize.

"Everything I've worked for, everything I've owned since I was a child, I brought with me. It's just floating away and there's nothing I can do," Walsh told WFTS.

Broadwell and Walsh left Colorado last year after selling off all their belongings, including a car, to buy Lagniappe for $5,000. It took a year and another $5,000 to get the boat ready to sail, Tampa Bay Times reported.

Now, it could cost thousands to remove Lagniappe from the channel.

Even with no savings and no place to live, the couple said they're not giving up on sailing again one day.

"The boat sank," Walsh told WFTS, "but our dreams didn't sink with the boat."

------------------------

now not to belittle the amount, but you sold everything you own to buy a boat you were going to live on ....and its a $5,000 boat?

I have a feeling they were headed for bigger troubles had they got out in the gulf with that thing. They may not believe but fortune may have been smiling on them that day.

Last edited by KFWA; 02/11/18.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
So they are looking for 10k on a fund-me page yet says " money isn't everything". Seems to be everything to them at the moment. Time to go back to work.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
probably shoulda thought that one out a little more.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If my entire net worth was involved, there'd be this thing called insurance.

Sounds like they were in over their heads anyway.

If they both get to work it should take them like 8 months to recover.

Last edited by 1minute; 02/11/18.

1Minute
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Sunk in only 8 feet of water?

That's not very deep.

What were they doing playing around in the shallows?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Going thru a cut, they move with the tides, they are lucky they sunk it so close to shore, because they would have done in a much more unforgiving spot a little later. Idiots !

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
9 feet of water.......... Being their sail boat probably drafts 7-8 feet I'd be surprised if they didn't hit something.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think this will be used as an example in boating safety classes, for years to come. Cost is relative. They didn't have much but they lost what they had. Tough lesson.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Damn, they are only out 10k and probably zero debt. They are in better shape than the average American.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wait...so they sold everything they had, including a car, to buy a sail boat for $5k?

I bet Taco Bell really misses them...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My first thought was "Two Colorado snowflakes. Had a romanticized vision of sailing - and little else."

I'm glad they were rescued - provided they don't breed.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Its not just these two, just go to a boat ramp this spring, you will see a bunch more idiots that used their tax refund to buy a boat, a boat that they have not a clue how to operate.

The earth is 2/3 water, plenty of room for dummies to practice their trade.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"Nikki Walsh, 24, and boyfriend Tanner Broadwell, 26, decided nearly a year ago that they were tired of working.

However, the couple, who has been left with just $90 in cash, no jobs and no boat insurance, say they are still hopeful for their world-sailing plans and have started a GoFundMe begging people to help them 'not give up on [their] dreams.'

You only have one life. Why spend it doing what you don’t love. Money isn’t everything!"

Only 24 and 26, tired of working already. Must not have been too much work considering everything they saved and sold bought them a $5,000 boat and they have $90 to their name. Didn't get insurance, don't want to work, money isn't everything... but give us your money that you work for so we can get another boat. Another case of LibFlakes

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Today's version of the 1960's hippies, they just bought a boat instead of a VW bus, and better weed.

No one ever told them the truth about boats, and that being " A boat is a hole into the water that one throws his money"

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Imagine how they'll fare once out on the open ocean. I like reading Hal Roth books who encountered adversity at every turn, yet just he and his wife overcame, innovated, or made do. These two sound helpless without external assistance.

Where I used to live on a canal on Lake St. Clair, Michigan, there was this arrogant young neighbor that HAD to buy a muscle cigarette type boat to wake everyone up with...even at an idle. Dipwad never even owned a boat before. It barely fit in the slip when delivered, and upon the first outing, said neighbor backs the thing out of the slip directly into another neighbor's Bertram Cruiser, which sunk after being holed while moored. By the end of the summer, I heard this kid muttering, "I hate this Fng boat!" Cover wasn't water tight, and batteries were always dead from pumping out rainwater. It was a one summer wonder.

Last edited by littlecmonkey; 02/11/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, you all can call me a coward now.

I have never owned a rowboat.
I know basically nothing about boating,
especially in the ocesn.

There ain't no freaking way I would take my wife
and decide we were going to sail the seas.

It would be easier to just try to be a roadblock for a Freightliner.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
That’s not much for a boat.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I bought a 32’ sloop at about that age too, sailed her for two years through the Bahamas without hitting anything more solid than sand. As I read the story, trying to enter a cut at dark, in a fog, it just isn’t too bright a thing to do.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Ok, you all can call me a coward now.

I have never owned a rowboat.
I know basically nothing about boating,
especially in the ocesn.

There ain't no freaking way I would take my wife
and decide we were going to sail the seas.

It would be easier to just try to be a roadblock for a Freightliner.

I would call you a man of great common sense.

A spent a great deal of my childhood on a commercial fishing boat.

Loosing friends was part of the way of life.

The ocean is not kind to fools. The shallows, even less so.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
The news here is saying he got confused and disregarded the buoys marking the channel because they were in a different location than on the several year old chart he had

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

665 members (007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 78 invisible), 2,377 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,718
Posts18,494,638
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.