Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
djs Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
The USAF plans to retire the B-1 and B-2 once the new B-21 is in service. But, the B-52, the octogenarian, dump-truck of an aircraft, will continue in service. Those slide-rule Boeing engineers of the late 1940's certainly got the recipe right!

see: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...idate-bomber-fleet-to-b-21-and-b-445845/

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
The strategic bomber fleet exists for urban renewal purposes these days, right? Anybody going through Janesville WI has to know that. Paul Ryan's from that part of the US. Let's all write him and petition to roll in the B's.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
[Linked Image]

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still cant figure out why they dont re-engine with 4 turbo fans.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

I would say that there are, primarily, 3 reasons..........

1) Safety, in general, 8 is better than 4, although failures with HB Turbo-Fans are rare these days.
2) Ground clearance
3) Assuming ONE would replace TWO, in the event of a single engine failure, ie. two on the same pylon in the present configuartion, adverse yaw/rudder control might be compromised beyond acceptable limits............ If you will notice the size of the rudder on a buff.... my guess is it isn't there for show, or just to write numbers on.

beyond that I don't know.............. any Buff Drivers out there????

A military pilot called for a priority landing because his single-engine jet fighter was running “a bit peaked.” Air Traffic Control told the fighter pilot that he was number two, behind a B-52 that had one engine shut down. “Ah,” the fighter pilot remarked, “The dreaded seven-engine approach.”

Last edited by muffin; 02/13/18.

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When you think about it, the basic high-subsonic jet platform hasn't changed significantly since the 1950s. One can see the lines of the B-47 in every commercial airliner built and still flying. Even a C-17 still looks "that way." As long as the wings stay attached to the fuselage, and as long as a long-range bomber requirement exists, something like the B-52 will be in the inventory.
Wouldn't be surprised to see an eventual evolution of something like a hopped up C-17 with a skinnier fuselage and lots of racks, both internal and external, be proposed.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by djs
Those slide-rule Boeing engineers of the late 1940's certainly got the recipe right!/

If someone would have told them to design a plane with a 90 year lifespan. The engineers would put that person in a straight jacket.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Amazing airplane

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I read an article that said the Air Force plans to keep the B-52's in service into the 2040's.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Buff illustrates the thought that sometimes simple is the best answer. And they do one helluva job on site prep for new construction.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And they're fun to watch. Used to work at the now gone Griffiss AFB that had a wing of Bufs. Pretty much everything stopped to watch when the wing came back from an exercise. Huge particularly for a war machine. First you get amazed that they can make something that big fly and again when you consider the potential weapons load.

Must be a hellofa airframe to tolerate that many hours and rebuilds.

The Aero Club shared hangar space with a U-2. A pretty impressive "glider" too.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by djs
The USAF plans to retire the B-1 and B-2 once the new B-21 is in service. But, the B-52, the octogenarian, dump-truck of an aircraft, will continue in service. Those slide-rule Boeing engineers of the late 1940's certainly got the recipe right!

see: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/a...idate-bomber-fleet-to-b-21-and-b-445845/

Just think, if your gal had won, those B-52s would be flying for the commies. Now, the Russians still have to consider them.

She had already taken huge donations as Sec of State for her foundation to clear Boeing to rebuild the Russian air force. How much was it that Boeing paid her?

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/13/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And they're fun to watch. Used to work at the now gone Griffiss AFB that had a wing of Bufs. Pretty much everything stopped to watch when the wing came back from an exercise. Huge particularly for a war machine. First you get amazed that they can make something that big fly and again when you consider the potential weapons load.

Must be a hellofa airframe to tolerate that many hours and rebuilds.

I'm about 45 minutes from Griffiss AFB. My best friends dad used to take us to the air shows there every year. As you said, the base closed in 1995. Now it's Griffiss Business and Technology Park. The Air Force still has a small presences there with NORAD and Rome Research Site of the Air Force Research Lab still up and running. But it's nowhere like it used to be.

NYH1.

Last edited by NYH1; 02/13/18.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Got a hunting buddy who was a navigator on the Buff. His father in-law flew them and his son flew them, making the son the third generation on the same airplane. News did a story on them awhile back.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Obviously one badass machine. Years ago got into reading all the military and techno-thrillers ala Tom Clancy...a fellow named Dale Brown wrote some good fictional stuff about B-52s.

I was always struck by the appearance of a slight nose-down attitude the B-52 takes on. Anyone else notice that?

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
last B-52 crew hasn't been born yet

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Also worth noting that the C-130 has been IN PRODUCTION for 64 years with no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Obviously one badass machine. Years ago got into reading all the military and techno-thrillers ala Tom Clancy...a fellow named Dale Brown wrote some good fictional stuff about B-52s.

The Flight of the Old Dog. Loved it.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Also worth noting that the C-130 has been IN PRODUCTION for 64 years with no signs of slowing down anytime soon.

And we dropped bigger bombs in RVN ....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The concussion would catch up to us, and shake the plane at 12,000 ft.

[Linked Image]

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,773
Posts18,515,633
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.