Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I am considering options for a 22 LR that would work somewhat universally for the family. IE, adjustable LOP for my little ones.

I am looking at either an AR-15 style 22 (S&W M&P-15 22) or an adjustable stock option on a 10/22.

I am not looking for tack driving accuracy as this will just be a "tin can plinker" mostly just for S&G's.

I realize there are more refined options available, but that is not the niche I am looking to fill.

Thanks for your advice.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a Ruger American Rimfire for pretty much exactly the purpose you specify. The one I bought was called a “new shooter’s kit”, as I recall. It included four different stock inserts to adjust for length of pull and use with/without scope, and a cleaning kit. It only cost a couple of hundred bucks. I put a Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire scope on it. It also has a pretty short barrel, which makes it handy. It is very accurate and quality is good. It uses the same 10-round magazines that the 10/22 does. The only complaint I would have is that the barrel is maybe a touch heavier than need be, which makes the gun a little heavy.

The kids actually kind of prefer my “standard” 10/22 carbine, but the length of pull is a bit long. I have a Leupold 4x28 rimfire on that. I don’t necessarily think that a semi-auto is the best way to start because it spoils them a bit, but they sure like it. 10/22 = instant gratification. Pulling the trigger is awfully easy. RARimfire makes them work at it a little more and it is more accurate.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If you Ruger makes a 10/22 with an adjustable LOP 10/22, I doubt that there is any rifle the kids would enjoy more. Just buy lots of ammo and be prepared for a sore thumb if you are doing the loading.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
before the smith at 22 became available I started my kids out with a colt 9mm carbine. no real recoil and a collapsible stock to fit them. it was a little heavy but they shot it off rests. when the smith 22 became available.i got them each one. it is light and they have a blast with it. it is more than accurate enough to plink with especially grass hoppers in the weeds on the backstop.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I don't think I'd go the auto loader route if it were my little ones.Having the ability to take repeated shots without a pause would make me feel like the little ones weren't learning the value of patience and fire arm control.Having to reload after very shot would, IMHO, create a better shooter with more respect for the sport.Id start mine out with a Savage combo gun probably 20ga /22mag or even a 222/20 that could be a real " lets go hunting with dad piece".

IC B2

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

kids will luv a lever action of some sort...........

safe......easy to use & load with tube magazine....

Henry is great choice.......octagon barrels are a tad heavier.........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by savage2400
I don't think I'd go the auto loader route if it were my little ones.Having the ability to take repeated shots without a pause would make me feel like the little ones weren't learning the value of patience and fire arm control.Having to reload after very shot would, IMHO, create a better shooter with more respect for the sport.Id start mine out with a Savage combo gun probably 20ga /22mag or even a 222/20 that could be a real " lets go hunting with dad piece".

I absolutely agree with the above. A semi-auto is too much like the video games that are way too prevalent. The Ruger American with the various stock options is a great choice.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by eblake
Originally Posted by savage2400

I absolutely agree with the above. A semi-auto is too much like the video games that are way too prevalent. The Ruger American with the various stock options is a great choice.

So a Ruger American can be changed on the fly? Or are there tools needed to do so...seems much more intensive than depressing a lever.

Also, one point seems to be missed greatly here. There are ways to attenuate the rate of fire of the semi-autos. Such as limited loadings in the mag and using subsonics that won't cycle the action.

I was asking for advice on the platforms mentioned.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Pahntr760

I was asking for advice on the platforms mentioned.

Then in that case, between the two you mentioned, I'd go with a 10/22 and get an adjustable stock. They have several on Midway and other sites. That way, once you no longer need the adjustable stock, you can customize the 10/22 if so desired in the future. But, that's just me.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
M&P 15-22. My kids love it.

I had one and sold it a number of years ago. I found a rifle I wanted and needed the funds. It was the only rifle I've ever regretted selling. I later bought a 10/22 to replace it and made and adjustable stock for it. It worked well but I bought another 15-22 last year and haven't regretted it for a second.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Slope77
I bought a Ruger American Rimfire for pretty much exactly the purpose you specify. The one I bought was called a “new shooter’s kit”, as I recall. It included four different stock inserts to adjust for length of pull and use with/without scope, and a cleaning kit. It only cost a couple of hundred bucks. I put a Leupold 2-7x28 rimfire scope on it. It also has a pretty short barrel, which makes it handy. It is very accurate and quality is good. It uses the same 10-round magazines that the 10/22 does. The only complaint I would have is that the barrel is maybe a touch heavier than need be, which makes the gun a little heavy.

The kids actually kind of prefer my “standard” 10/22 carbine, but the length of pull is a bit long. I have a Leupold 4x28 rimfire on that. I don’t necessarily think that a semi-auto is the best way to start because it spoils them a bit, but they sure like it. 10/22 = instant gratification. Pulling the trigger is awfully easy. RARimfire makes them work at it a little more and it is more accurate.

This pretty much nails it IMO. The Ruger American Rimfire is perfect for what you are looking for. All that is required to change the stock inserts is unscrewing the rear sling swivel stud, slipping off the stock insert, put a different one in, re-insert sling swivel stud and go back to shooting. It took longer to type this then it takes to swap out the insert.

Personally I would never start a young shooter off with a semi-auto - there is just too much chance of a mishap. Also a bolt action slows them down just enough that they will concentrate on hitting the target rather than just pulling the trigger until the target is hit.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I will never start another new shooter off without using a semi-auto 22. It is exactly what a new shooter needs. It teaches trigger time without unnecessary loading techniques that can be honed later with an understudy rifle.

A 10/22 or a SW15-22 are equally good. Just get one with an adjustable stock.

Or if you want to run open sighted, an old Nylon 66 is tough to beat.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
An old Nylon 66 is worth maybe a hunerd bucks, but one that aint covered in rust will cost about four times that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get the Blackhawk 10/22 stock, your favorite can of spray paint, and a red dot scope. You'll get the "Dad of the Year" award....

Throw in some steel spinners and LOTS of ammo.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by 16bore
Get the Blackhawk 10/22 stock, your favorite can of spray paint, and a red dot scope. You'll get the "Dad of the Year" award....

I don't dislike the 10/22 but if you go that route you are still going to have a heavy trigger, awkward bolt catch/release, and no hold open on empty. In my experience, the 15-22 does what is being looked for better. I have a 8, 9, and 10 year olds who would agree. They started at age 5 with the 10/22 and all appreciated the move to the AR last year.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by drover

Personally I would never start a young shooter off with a semi-auto - there is just too much chance of a mishap. Also a bolt action slows them down just enough that they will concentrate on hitting the target rather than just pulling the trigger until the target is hit.

drover

It is easy to load one round in a mag and have exactly the control of rate of fire you speak of. I know, I've done it. As the kids advance they enjoy having the semi. It has been my experience that they continue to fire at a rate at which they can hit the target even when handed a full 25 round mag. There are plenty of ways to responsibly start kids on a semi. I have found nothing as well suited to kids of different sizes as a 6 position ar stock.

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I taught my grandson to shoot with my old daisy pump B.B. gun. Then went directly to a lightweight AR15 in 223. He’s stocky but short. The AR colapasable stock and light weight has worked out very well.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
Originally Posted by rovert

I don't dislike the 10/22 but if you go that route you are still going to have a heavy trigger, awkward bolt catch/release, and no hold open on empty. In my experience, the 15-22 does what is being looked for better. I have a 8, 9, and 10 year olds who would agree. They started at age 5 with the 10/22 and all appreciated the move to the AR last year.

The attributes of the 15-22 are starting to win me over. Plus, their first deer will likely be taken with ARs, so starting them on that platform is a good thing, me thinks.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I started my girls with their own 10-22. The youngest would shoot Federal 525 pack ammo until the rifle was to dirty to function, then that night we would tear it down and clean to get ready for the next shoot. Good thing 525 packs were 8 bucks then. Her favorite targets were paint balls hot glue to cardboard and pennies. Golf balls were a lot of fun as well

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by rovert

$30 for a target hammer to drop trigger pull.
There is a simple bolt mod as well.
Never done the bolt release mod on my rigs.
Don't need it IMHO............but I mastered its use in 2nd grade.

The AR stuff w collapsible stock, is nice to fit different sized shooters.
But the plastic upper/lower ones just feel cheap. And I actually prefer reg rifle stock grips to the "pistol grip" type.
Looks...................the AR always loses.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/17/18.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1lesfox, 007FJ, 1badf350, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 1Longbow, 50 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,345
Posts18,506,187
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.