Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
MAKAIRA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
For the brain trust here on the Campfire.Curious why no bids on this particular pistol.I am more into shotguns and rifles and not knowing pistols thought gun broker would find its value.
Thanks
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/748000550

Last edited by MAKAIRA; 02/15/18.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I usually skip over items that have a reserve price. Don’t like playing a guessing game. Good luck with your sale.

"Not everyone needs four tons of smashing power, but for those that do, there's only one choice."
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
for me, if i were in the market, maybe $700/$750 or thereabouts...

============================================================

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would say because there is a reserve on the auction. I will not bid on an auction that has a reserve.

Last edited by wildfowl; 02/15/18.

The lion and tiger might be stronger, but the wolf does not perform in the circus.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You've sold stuff on GB before so you know most of the action happens at the end of an auction. This auction doesn't end for five days...

NRA Life Member
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Do a Penny auction! lots of people, including me, will not bid on a "Reserve" auction. Do a penny auction with no reserve, and you should get what you want.

M
MAKAIRA Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
It has been up before and the reserve is $650.The others sold easily and was just curious if it isn't a very desirable model.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Akpilot
I usually skip over items that have a reserve price. Don’t like playing a guessing game. Good luck with your sale.

Yep it's just like when I see an ad, call for price. I don't have time for that nonsense.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Also, would suggest that your description is very bare bones.....This is a prelock Model 48 8 3/8" barrel, would have to think they are not that common. Original grips numbered to the gun? When was it made? original box? etc, etc.
Tim

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I'm with the others - bare bones ad (makes me think, what's NOT being said?) and don't like reserve auctions.

If things were as obvious as they initially appear . . . then men would be riding horseback sidesaddle . . . and not women. - Will Rogers
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Always thought it was funny GB charges sellers extra to set a reserve, then offers a prominent button for buyers to exclude auctions with a reserve from search results. Like the others said, if your reserve is $650, start the auction at $650 with no "hidden" reserve.

Last edited by InternetGuru; 02/15/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
GB does not charge to set a reserve....... You might be thinking of eBay.

Last edited by John_Boy; 02/15/18.

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
description is very thin.
best of luck wish i had the $$$$$

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
B
Additional info to help your sale. State the exact model number in the ad (Model 48-?), it’s a 48-4 I presume.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by GunGeezer
I'm with the others - bare bones ad (makes me think, what's NOT being said?) and don't like reserve auctions.

I agree with this. Too many people out there trying to rip you off. So, I am automatically suspicious. Virtually no description makes me suspicious. Lack of model # with dash # makes me leary. I don't like to play guess the reserve. Would rather not play the game at all. On the other hand you have no idea how it's going to come out till the last couple of days, down the the last several minutes. At the very least Put in a descent description. Include what the reserve is in, the description. With out this, expect to readvertise it after it doesn't meet reserve. You are wasting time IMO could have put it here with a price and not be wondering on pins and needles for the next few days.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I would agree, the description. No model number 48? no barrel length 8 3/8" pinned etc. If one was looking for a Model 48 8 3/8" the normal search would never find your add. Reserve also does not always bring bids.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
I agree that there is a lot of questions

I bet it goes for more than most here expect

I think in general the gun buisness is slow but those looking for Blue pre lock Smiths never go away
The Kids run out of gas but the old guys with cash dont

Hank

Last edited by boatboy; 02/16/18.

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I never understood why sellers put a minimum bid and a reserve on an item.
Why not just put your bottom price as minimum bid and go from there. If it doesn’t sell and your willing to take a little less then lower the minimum.
I was bidding on a S&W 29 Classic this past weekend. Had been watching it all week with a starting bid of $550 and $25 shipping. No one bid on this thing till their was 6hrs left. I think it sold for $615 plus shipping, $640.
Which I’m sure was a good deal. I stoped at $600. The thing I didn’t like was some of the pics weren’t to good and their wasn’t an inspection period. I did contact the seller about the bad pics and he said the lighting and oil was to blame. But never sent me any good pics, which is what I would have done. My thinking would be to post the best pics you possibly can to start with.

Then I was going to start bidding on a 5” 629-6 Classic. But the guy had it listed as a 629-6 nickel plated 4” Classic. Which got me thinking if you don’t know what your selling can I trust you. I contacted him too and told him what he had. He said I might be correct.
And he had a buy now on it but the price plus shipping was only around $80 less then a new one.

I just looked at the above 629 and he did change it to stainless but put the barrel length at 4 7/8”

Last edited by HeavyLoad; 02/16/18.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by lightning
Do a Penny auction! lots of people, including me, will not bid on a "Reserve" auction. Do a penny auction with no reserve, and you should get what you want.

I sell a decent amount on GB and a $1 start with no reserve gets the most attention and the highest price.

If you really have a price you won't go below start at that price not a reserve.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by smithrjd
I would agree, the description. No model number 48? no barrel length 8 3/8" pinned etc. If one was looking for a Model 48 8 3/8" the normal search would never find your add. Reserve also does not always bring bids.

There's a lot of discussion about what's wrong with the ad - but IMHO, you did a very good job with the pictures.

Too many of the GB ads are using the four picture limit - it's very limiting in helping the sale, hard to get a full picture of the condition.

I'm in the reserve-adverse crowd, I have to guess what you really think it's worth, what the market is, and if you are wasting my time with an over-priced item.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 1234, 1lessdog, 1minute, 60 invisible), 1,789 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,069
Posts18,521,584
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.