Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
Thanks guys. It's all helpful information. I'm not looking for sympathy just some solid real world experience in or around the Fresno area. As a marketing guy I'm always trying to gather good info and I trust the opinions of most of the people here because we often share the same values.

I grew up very poor and worked a lot of hard jobs to get through school and get a masters degree. At the time I graduated everything I owned fit in my car. I came to Rexburg and the area has been good to me. I feel very safe here and would trust any of my neighbors with anything. Many neighbors have had the keys to my home at one time or another and have gladly taken care of things while I've been away. I couldn't ask for a better place to live so Fresno sounds like the complete opposite of where I am now.

Bb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Leanwolf
You will have to register all your guns with the police.

L.W.

You don't have to register schit. Only if you want it on your CCW.

Sean
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

I'd definitely not want to raise children in Fresno ... or much of Calif.

Just my opinion, based on living 36 years in Los Angeles, and having a vacation home up in the Sierra above Posey, in Tulare County, for 30 years.

L.W.

I've lived in Northern California all my life.
I was born here, and through desire and a very mediocre income found a way to have a great outdoor life.

https://www.instagram.com/grizzskinner1/

I despise the state politics and the overall liberal culture of the state, but there are worse places to be.
You don't need to be wealthy to enjoy great hunting and fishing.

Based in Fresno, you would certainly have to travel a long way to do it, but it's not impossible.

Proud NRA Life Member
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If you were in a leadership position in Rexburg and unaware of the office closings, you should have serious concerns about what the Company truly has in mind for your future in California.

I worked for a Fortune 500 corporation for 33 years and was pressured on several occasions to move from North Idaho to California. My family and I decided that we would all get tin beaks and pick manure with the chickens before we would move to California. CP.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
you can make between $5-$10k by buying handguns that we can't buy from dealers , for example see how much he is asking for Glock G40 :

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1403927&highlight=g40

please check before what you can/can not bring to California , for example all threaded barrel handguns are considered assault rifles !

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We've all got to live where we can make a living but if I was in your position I'd make every effort not to move to Fresno or California. I'd work for less money somewhere else before coming here. Fresno is a basically conservative area compared to the coastal areas of the state but it's subject to state laws and they've made an impact. I've lived in Fresno for over 40 years and seen the population go from around 160,000 to over half a million and all that goes with it. Plenty of homeless people, gangs, etc. If you end up having to move here strongly consider living in the Clovis area or the parts of NE Fresno which are in Clovis School District. No way I'd consider letting my kids go to Fresno Unified schools today. Their policies reflect the changes of our population growth, demographics and the state of California's liberal influence. I'd pay for private or parochial schools if it came to that.

Over time I've done alright here; live in a good area, developed some good friendships and have access to some decent private farmland bird and varmint hunting. I tried deer hunting here the first few years but eventually ended up going out of state most years. The fishing can be good but weekends involve too many people to be worth it. At my age as far as hunting and fishing go I try to make the most what we have for where we are.

I'd think the lack of rainfall and snow here over the past five years wouldn't be good for the fertilizer business. Last year was our first decent rainfall year after four years of drought. Unless something changes in the next two months we'll be back to an even more severe drought year. We might have had two inches of rain and very little snowfall in the Sierras since the start of our "rainy season", Oct. through April. It's probably going to be another bad year for a lot of agriculture related business. Farmers I know who don't have riverfront property are not optimistic.

Last edited by 43Shooter; 02/16/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Clovis is actually kind of nice with all the big older homes and giant oak trees lining the old residential areas. It also has some good Italian places to eat and drink vino.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Grew up in the Bay area, and have been through Fresno a few times. The impression I had of Fresno was, why would anyone want to live here. It's hot, dry, dusty and basically just a podunk town. Any of the things you might want to do in California are 1-3 hour drives, without traffic. But any of those things you might want to do are going to be crowded as heck.

I've long had the opinion I'd work in any chithole if I could retire after working there for 2-3 years. If you have that sort of opportunity, than consider it. But if it's just a job and you're taking a serious standard of living hit, politely decline the transfer and find something else. Life is too short to stuck living somewhere you don't want to live for a job that isn't going to set you up for life.

Having been laid off two years ago after having just had a custom home built I understand where you are at. My wife was all freaked out and wanted to sell the house but I told her we're in a down market and will loose our shirt so lets give it six months. Things hadn't quite turned around in six months but we were able to pay the bills, and in a few more months I was back in full time employment.

Don't make a short decision that could have long term negative consequences.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by broomd
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I also own two other rental homes I Rexburg. Both 4 bed 2 bath and around 1800 square feet. I'm probably better off selling the new home and living in one of my rentals. I've been living in one while we built because our last home sold in 3 weeks. I should probably just sell the new one and stay. But I think I'll go ahead and move in it first. After all the work I'd like to enjoy it even if it's short lived. Fresno crime rates are making my decision for me. I just found out today and I have until June 1 to decide.

Bb

Never feel sorry for a guy that owns an airplane or three homes..
Screw the job and raise your family where you know you should. Sounds like you shouldn't be pressed for cash.

And can retire to the comfort level you have planned for.

Some things (eg. our children and their well-being, MS-13-free neighborhoods, etc.) are far more important than our preconceived retirement 'comfort level' ......it shouldn't even be a conpromise. Our kids are everything; money is what it is. And *most* of us here know that.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Even with crap politics, there are great hunting, fishing and outdoor opportunities in California, incredible scenic beauty as well.

Unfortunately Fresno isn't close to any of them.

Ouch. smile

I admit to being born in Ca.........
and to being glad we left in 1968
back to Idaho.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by calikooknic
You will have to register all your guns with the police.

L.W.

You don't have to register schit. Only if you want it on your CCW.

You might want to check your current Calif. anti-guns laws re people moving into Calif. with firearms.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Even with crap politics, there are great hunting, fishing and outdoor opportunities in California, incredible scenic beauty as well.

If you were an ardent rock climber, hiker or mountaineer you'd have some pretty good stuff relatively close by. But you'd still be living in Fresno.

[Linked Image]
wishful thinking

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Burleyboy,

Best wishes for you and your family, whatever the results of your decision making process.

My wife worked in Fresno for 3-4 years, I "visited" when off work for the winters. It's not a place I enjoyed, then again, most metro areas aren't. But as others have mentioned Fresno is "special". My wife was in a rental the first year, year and a half, in what mostly could be described as a "decent" area for Fresno itself. There were plenty of issues in that area, folks letting their dogs out to crap on our yard every morning, a murder down the street (wife just got home, tells me there were murders "all around" the 'hood) , thefts of course, Po-Po helicopter flying overhead all hours of the day and night, that sort of city stuff.

Then she purchased a house in an "affordable" area of Clovis. Others have mentioned it, if you do move down there, alone or with family, search out nicer areas like Clovis to set up shop in. My wife's commute to downtown was just about 20 minutes, a little longer coming back. You didn't mention where your office will be. It makes a difference in commute times.

Fishing is pretty good according to my neighbors. I never bothered as I didn't want to pay the non-res license for a few months fishing. Bass in Millerton Lake, one of the lakes had kokanee, catfish all around, the Delta isn't too long of a drive, the Sierras aren't but an hour or so away either.

Excellent food there, especially if you like Armenian food. Very large Armenian population there, and I found them to be very friendly folks. Plenty of Mexican and Italian joints too.

University there, with a big AG program, Good little meat/ veggie market on campus run by the students I think. At least their project stuff ends up there. Excellent raisins, sausages, greens etc.

Medical care is not bad, depending on your issues. I had my shoulder an knee operated on by the team physician for the University's ball clubs. My dentist also did teeth for the Fresno Monsters lower level pro hockey team.

If you like citrus and get a home with your own tree, you'll be happy with finding out what a tree ripened orange or lemon tastes like if you've never had one. The University also has a venue for popular artists, even country ones. Folks here have already mentioned it's a conservative area for Cali.

If I recall, I'd mostly stay away from the West side of the 99. Not a friendly place.

Be aware of the neighborhood you're in, wearing a red "Bulldog" (Fresno State) shirt or ball cap can be taken as a threat in certain areas not associated with the "red" gang colors.

I'll take exception with those saying Fresno is the armpit of Cali. That distinction goes to Bakersfield. Fresno qualifies as nearby.

It can be terribly smoggy there. Prevailing weather patterns push smog from the Bay Area, Sacramento, and other metro areas in the valley to the south. Fresno is not quite as bad as Bakersfield/ Arvin area, but it is on the list of the top smoggiest cities in the Nation almost every year. It's said to not be healthy for children. It wasn't for me either. First couple of winters I couldn't figure out why my eyes were always burning.

CCW from the Fresno County Sheriff is said to be relatively easy to get. There are a few ranges as I recall, not many and somewhat busy at the one I went to.

Again, good luck and I hope you come to a favorable decision for your family. I know how difficult it can be, years ago I worked for a large concern that moved their operation from San Diego to Pomona. My answer when they told me they would have a job there for me.... If I wanted to live in the LA area I'd already be there. I liked SD at that time. I've never liked the LA area.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave

Ouch. smile

I admit to being born in Ca.........
and to being glad we left in 1968
back to Idaho.

and therein lies the rub? grin

Even I don't have that claim to fame.

Geno

PS I was born in another heavily populated communist state on the other coast and left there in '63..............thank the powers that be!

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have lived in bakersfield and fresno and Visalia where is was born. Fresno is by far the worst. Dirty little city filled with gang activities. I have also lived in houston, denver and salt lake only houston is worse. Don't go you will regret it. There is some conservitives but they are out numbered bad by the liberal element. I live in Arizona for that reason alone. See if your company has anything here. Northern Az is amazing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott

If you were an ardent rock climber, hiker or mountaineer you'd have some pretty good stuff relatively close by. But you'd still be living in Fresno.

[Linked Image]
wishful thinking

i almost lost my life at that very spot in 1967. driving home from Hanford to Oakhurst with 3 friends. one of my buddies leaned out the window and called a group of about 15 young dark complected chillins the N word and they started pelting the car with everything at hand.
there was a wreak just ahead of us and the traffic was stopped and blocked.
just as the tribe got to the car we were flagged through. still makes me sweat!

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Holy crap! I'm sure none of this is what Burleyboy wanted to hear; but, I'll bet he's glad he received the honest input. I've visited Ca. many times and have enjoyed it most times. It does have it's beautiful parts. Having visited I can't for the life of me figure out why anybody would choose to live there.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
B
B
I live 30 miles south of Fresno and my wife is a nurse there. Find another job if you can. Most people in Fresno want to move to Idaho. You're already there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

BB, you must be fairly young (age of your kids) and I’m 68 and this post is free though it may nor be worth that.

I’ve not been to Fresno but have been through a lot of southern Ca. I’d first consider your kids who are largely in their formative years still and who are your first responsibility, then your wife and yourself. Lastly, your career path.

This response is at your post’s face value which means I don’t know any details but given that and at first bllush, I’d do anything just short of everything to stay where you are, not that it’s perfect, even though you may have to make some significant sacrifices.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Also Fresno has a pretty high crime rate.

The deer hunting got really bad after the Hmongs did their large group drives in that general area, and shot anything that moved.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

347 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 28 invisible), 2,004 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,088
Posts18,501,767
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.