Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I have no dog in this fight but I have hunted out west for the last 20 years and the Rocky Mountains in Alberta Canada twice. Straight up is straight up no matter where you're at and the less weight I've got to pack in the better.

89-92 7th INF. DIV.
92-93 RASP-Ranger Tab
93-97 1ST BN

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Ya and theres always that fact that many hunters hunt in different states than where they live. Some peoples inability to see passed their own situation is astounding.

And some of us in the east don't hunt out of tree stands and walk far more than 200 yards each day.

What, 300 or 400???

JK, I grew up hunting the GW National Forest in VA. Some steep mtns. back there, and the laurel thickets will rip your clothes off faster than a JMU coed.

And even back then the hunting always got better the further you got away from the road.

Yep. Had to drag one out last year 3 miles. And that's after 1/2mile drag down the mountain.

I have one hanging on my wall with a dollar-sized patch of hair missing off the brisket. Had to drag him about 1/3 mile up the mountain to the foot trail on top. Then loaded him in a wheelbarrow for the trip out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by rovert
This is what I did on my 3-9:

[Linked Image]

No cutting and lost .35"

For those that asked, I removed the turret, o ring, and collar (it's just glued on) so that I was left with the straight cylindrical turret housing. I then cut one of these to fit:

[Linked Image]

Steel wool took the shine off.

It fits very tightly but if I can figure out the thread they use for the turret screw I may mechanically attach it as well.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by EZEARL
Originally Posted by JDK
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
Ya and theres always that fact that many hunters hunt in different states than where they live. Some peoples inability to see passed their own situation is astounding.

And some of us in the east don't hunt out of tree stands and walk far more than 200 yards each day.

What, 300 or 400???

JK, I grew up hunting the GW National Forest in VA. Some steep mtns. back there, and the laurel thickets will rip your clothes off faster than a JMU coed.

And even back then the hunting always got better the further you got away from the road.

Yep. Had to drag one out last year 3 miles. And that's after 1/2mile drag down the mountain.

I have one hanging on my wall with a dollar-sized patch of hair missing off the brisket. Had to drag him about 1/3 mile up the mountain to the foot trail on top. Then loaded him in a wheelbarrow for the trip out.

Up hill drags can make you wonder why you hunt at all. Two of us hunt together so got game cart for next year. I can handle a drag DOWN the mountain to the service roads an then cart it out.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Holy crap people. Look at the thread title and the contents of the OP, then, check out the different paths this thread has traveled. Good grief. It's amazing what one single moronic post can do to an otherwise ordinary thread.

Last edited by Mad_Max; 02/16/18.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
LOL you must be new around here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
questons,

1 how many military s issue 6.5# rifles as their primary bolt action sniper rifle?

2 are military snipers asked to shoot long distances and do it with the first shot?

3 are military snipers loaded down with lots of other gear?

4 would light weight be more important or less important than making the right shot the first time?

5 are heavier barrels less consistent or more consistent than light weight barrels?

6 if your scope has light weight internals is it more or less likely to fail when its bounced around on a 4 wheeler, bounced off a tree because you stumbled, or carried around on a horse?

7 if your hunting animals that are rutting or have been pressured by other hunters are they likely to stay in the same place?

8) depending on your answer to 7, is it more effective or less effective to be able to see more country or less country?

9 if you decide to hunt an area that has extreme or strenuous terrain what is your plan if the animals aren't there?

10 if you drop down into a draw or canyon to stalk an animal what is your time worth on the hunt? how much energy will you have left

11) does remington and remington clone actions have the most accessories or modifications available or is it some other brand?

12) what is the most widely used action based on for a long range hunting rifle?

13) in steep and strenuous terrain is it helpful to be able to shoot farther?

bonus, 14 does pointer ever respond to the substance of the argument or not have an answer and simply attack the messenger when everything else has failed?

there you go answer all 13 questions and come to the conclusion yourself about heavy scopes, heavy rifles, and long shots in real mountains.

16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did you see the picture of the inside of a SWFA scope? It's kinda cool. On page 1.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Mad_Max
Holy crap people. Look at the thread title and the contents of the OP, then, check out the different paths this thread has traveled. Good grief. It's amazing what one single moronic post can do to an otherwise ordinary thread.

LOL you must be new around here.

HEY hunting seasons over and the coffee's good.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

bonus, 14 does pointer ever respond to the substance of the argument or not have an answer and simply attack the messenger when everything else has failed?

I'm going straight to the bonus because it's Friday and my in-laws are visiting again.....

I've enjoyed pointer's posts for a while now, especially regarding his kids and hunting. The substance of his posts are solid. ...concerning attacking the messenger....what exactly were you doing with your post?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

No cutting and lost .35"

For those that asked, I removed the turret, o ring, and collar (it's just glued on) so that I was left with the straight cylindrical turret housing. I then cut one of these to fit:

[Linked Image]

It fits very tightly but if I can figure out the thread they use for the turret screw I may mechanically attach it as well.

Yeah......but have you thrown it out of a moving truck and checked zero?

grin

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
questons,

1 how many military s issue 6.5# rifles as their primary bolt action sniper rifle?

2 are military snipers asked to shoot long distances and do it with the first shot?

3 are military snipers loaded down with lots of other gear?

4 would light weight be more important or less important than making the right shot the first time?

5 are heavier barrels less consistent or more consistent than light weight barrels?

6 if your scope has light weight internals is it more or less likely to fail when its bounced around on a 4 wheeler, bounced off a tree because you stumbled, or carried around on a horse?

7 if your hunting animals that are rutting or have been pressured by other hunters are they likely to stay in the same place?

8) depending on your answer to 7, is it more effective or less effective to be able to see more country or less country?

9 if you decide to hunt an area that has extreme or strenuous terrain what is your plan if the animals aren't there?

10 if you drop down into a draw or canyon to stalk an animal what is your time worth on the hunt? how much energy will you have left

11) does remington and remington clone actions have the most accessories or modifications available or is it some other brand?

12) what is the most widely used action based on for a long range hunting rifle?

13) in steep and strenuous terrain is it helpful to be able to shoot farther?

there you go answer all 13 questions and come to the conclusion yourself about heavy scopes, heavy rifles, and long shots in real mountains.

How much does a military sniper tag cost?

How many 60 year-old military snipers do you know?

How many military snipers say that enjoying themselves in the field is the most important thing?

How many military snipers get to choose their rifle build from the ground up?

How many hunters have consequences of their not being able to make the shot include one of their buddies getting killed or letting a dirtbag ISIS mofo get away?

How many hunters do the kind of stuff that military gear is designed to withstand?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by MadMooner

[Linked Image]

No cutting and lost .35"

[Linked Image]

Yeah......but have you thrown it out of a moving truck and checked zero?

grin

I knew I was forgetting something.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Did you see the picture of the inside of a SWFA scope? It's kinda cool. On page 1.

I did indeed. Whoever posted it did his fellow man a tremendous sevice. Very slick. I may have some wallet-sized ones made up.

This has all been very instructive. I even learned that there was something called a "wondering zero". I wander who thought that one up.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Pappy348

This has all been very instructive. I even learned that there was something called a "wondering zero". I wander who thought that one up.

This genius that thinks everyone in the east and south hunt out of stands, on flat ground and a 30-30 is a good choice to hunt this region. As someone else said - this is pure gold.

notice how the guys typically most concerned about weight live back east and in the south, typically its a walk of a few hundred yards on level ground to a tree stand in the areas they hunt.

heck a 30-30 lever open sights probably gets it done

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
So do I put a heavy scope on a light rifle, or a light one on a heavy gun, or light on light or heavy on heavy? And which one do I hunt with in the east, and in the west? North or south?
Damn, I have to re-read this thread again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
So do I put a heavy scope on a light rifle, or a light one on a heavy gun, or light on light or heavy on heavy? And which one do I hunt with in the east, and in the west? North or south?
Damn, I have to re-read this thread again.

If you're out west it must be a Remington or clone and zeroed in at 700 yards 3lb scope.

If you're in the east a 30-30 iron sights and a pile of corn 10 yards from your treestand.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curtaincowboy strikes again!

[Linked Image]

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The internals of a scope (less the lenses) make up the least amount of mass in a scope so designing the rest of it out of lighter wt. materials while maintaining strong/repeatable internals really shouldn't be that hard. I think even the internals could be lightened up as well with proper design and materials. The caveat is whether you can build that lighter, reliable scope to the same price point as the SWFA line. Potentially needing more expensive materials and manufacturing procedures to meet the wt./reliability requirements would run the price up, but I doubt the increase would be enough to scare most people off who appreciate what they would get, considering what many are willing to pay for high end scopes and rifles now.

Last edited by SBTCO; 02/16/18.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by EdM
notice how the guys typically most concerned about weight live back east and in the south, typically its a walk of a few hundred yards on level ground to a tree stand in the areas they hunt.

Nope.

YES look at most guys signature where they are from who want the ubber light rifles. if your a western hunter a lot of times that means long range. a light rifle may not and probably isn't the best choice a lot of the time. if you can't carry an 8# rifle bare with a 25 oz scope added to it your too much of a wuss to hunt the mountains anyways. suck it up butter cup.

You sound like a one track record... anyway our main gun, even though we rarely walk more than half a mile to the stand, is a 700, with an MTU contour 26 inch tube, 3-15 Zeiss HD5 and a Mc Millan A5. But its not what I'd want to pack on a sheep hunt... Plus I know how to shoot light weight rifles also, it takes some dedication to learn that, some do, some don't

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Page 5 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

336 members (22kHornet, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 160user, 1badf350, 21, 33 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,117
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.