Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bugs4
I will say that I am vehemently opposed to any 19 year old kid being able to walk into a gun shop and plunk down 4-5 hundred bucks and walk out with an AR. Looking forward to any and all comments on this.

I don't know about that. Seems to me that if he/she's old enough to join the military and die fighting for our freedom they should be able to buy a semi automatic rifle.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
i was kind of explaining it this way
a ar15 bullet .224 diameter usually about 55grain, until you get into some of the other stuff.
about 3000fps give or take.

a .22lr 224 bullet mayble 1500fps out of a rifle.
people are conditioned to this ar's are bad, because of the way they look, not much comment about a ruger mini 14

but take a ruger 10/22 with two 25 found mags strapped on it, it can do a lot of damage., totally unreported.
Mostly i do't shoot ar's much, because i am too cheap to burn up ammo that way. I have a bolt action in that caliber i prefer for popping tin cans.
most people have no idea what a true battle rifle in a 30caliber is like.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Klik,

Ooh. Hacking self-driving cars? wink

Last edited by nighthawk; 02/18/18.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I never thought I would own one, but it’s fun to shoot pigs with!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ok, . I will say that I am vehemently opposed to any 19 year old kid being able to walk into a gun shop and plunk down 4-5 hundred bucks and walk out with an AR. Looking forward to any and all comments on this.

So,Mr. Bugs, you are OK with all the 19 year old United States Marines packing around the M-16's over in the sandbox? United States Army troopers too, along with lots of USAF airmen and quite a few US Navy sailors. I suppose these are just kids to you, Mr. Bugs? Bad enough when they get home they cant buy a beer.

You, Mr. Bugs, are what is known in the trade as a Fudd. It's perfectly all right for you to go out and bust clay pigeons, poke holes in paper targets, etc, but you in your sanctimonious rightousness want to deny others the right to exercise THEIR 2nd Amendment rights in a manner they see fit. Disgusting.

Last edited by jnyork; 02/18/18.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Ok, here goes. . . . . . I shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays and 5-stand. I also shoot in a .22 gallery league (indoors) in the winter time. I also am a very serious long range benchrest shooter. I also hunt deer and pheasants. I actually shoot (a lot) and am not some internet cowboy. Point is, I don't really NEED an AR15 to do any of the shooting things that I enjoy. I do own a couple of AR's and do shoot them occasionally but, if they weren't there, it wouldn't be a terrible inconvenience to me. I simply throw this out there to see what the dialog is on the whole matter. I will say that I am vehemently opposed to any 19 year old kid being able to walk into a gun shop and plunk down 4-5 hundred bucks and walk out with an AR. Looking forward to any and all comments on this.

It's your opinion and you are entitled to it. Would you still be opposed if the kid were 20? How about 21?
About these 19 year olds, are you opposed to them joining the military and being deployed?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
In the right circumstances the 5.56 is adequate for elephant. And it has an advantage when facing those of small stature in combat.The M16 was a good platform IMHO.

Never shot an M4 or AR of any persuasion, don't have any use for them. Did carry a CAR15 for about a year and have always considered it the genesis of the M4. Did not get to use it on ele, but it's adequate for those persistent small statured people that make my tee shirts and furniture these days.

So the Army saw fit to give me all that stuff (and more) before I was old enough to vote and here I am. I guess it worked. There is nothing unique about the platform in any of the AR iterations and what the left says about the evil black rifle is BS. As was suggested previously, an evil mind can do bad things with a 22 RF.

Does any of this really matter? Nope. Provide a motivation and society will attempt to right a wrong. I doubt any success will come from the effort for many reasons. First and foremost is that society does not want to recognize that guns don't kill people, even though there are countries in Europe where this is well understood and a gun in every closet or damn near it. Thinking that Cowboy Tim covered that fairly.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Gus
back in the day, under the reign of terror of the war criminal johnson, i was introduced to the m-16 5.56 (or something like that) combat rifle.

we learned to operate it, clean it, and place it back into the armory with the other full-auto equipment.

later, after ETS, i priced a colt semi-auto .223, and the price was too high.

now, basic .223 guns are a dime a dozen, garden variety.

what does ar-15 mean to the average citizen?

not assault rifle, not automatic rifle.

let's start or begin there.

One of the best, most versatile platforms to come along in a long time. It does nothing by itself, just like vehicles, spoons, pencils and the like.

And I just realized the bigger horror, my vehicle will go above the speed limit... and I'm trusted to receive prescription RX ....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jnyork
Ok, . I will say that I am vehemently opposed to any 19 year old kid being able to walk into a gun shop and plunk down 4-5 hundred bucks and walk out with an AR. Looking forward to any and all comments on this.

So,Mr. Bugs, you are OK with all the 19 year old United States Marines packing around the M-16's over in the sandbox? United States Army troopers too, along with lots of USAF airmen and quite a few US Navy sailors. I suppose these are just kids to you, Mr. Bugs? Bad enough when they get home they cant buy a beer.

You, Mr. Bugs, are what is known in the trade as a Fudd. It's perfectly all right for you to go out and bust clay pigeons, poke holes in paper targets, etc, but you in your sanctimonious rightousness want to deny others the right to exercise THEIR 2nd Amendment rights in a manner they see fit. Disgusting.

+1 I don't own one, don't really like them, but it would diminish ALL our rights to deny someone the right to own one. I'm older and "short for my weight" and don't want to chase the brass, not even a little bit. They make a great coyote gun, and a tolerable prairie dog rifle (are you against that, too?)
It's already against the laws. country-wide, to kill people, so what would another law, infringing on the rights of law-abiding gun owners, do to curb that? Better to fix this issue where it starts, with the lunatics who do such things, and leave us regular folk alone. This is strictly a mental health issue, and some in gov't's attempts to control people, not a gun issue. Wake TFU.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Although I have one, and it is a fun rifle to shoot, I could easily live without it.
I love to hunt and shoot shotgun sports. I had a bunch of bolt actions and scatter guns right up to the boating accident.
In my eyes, the fact of the matter is this.
The Second Amendment was added for one very simple reason.
That reason has zero to do with hunting or shooting trap.
The founders recognized the fact that every government in every form eventually grows to take power away from those being governed.
The Second Amendment was made only to combat this fact.
It doesn't protect hunting guns, it guarantees citizens to have a means to protect themselves from out of control government.
If anything, it protects civilian ownership of the same rifle used by the military.
I would say it is the right, and possibly the responsibility, of every American to own and be proficient in its use.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=CowboyTim]I

Banning this gun, that gun or a whole group of guns won't solve a damn thing.

The problem is that, once you allow them to ban "this gun or that gun", they will continue to insist that we ban ALL guns.

Last edited by 308ragincajun; 02/18/18.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I really enjoy it when DD pops up on an AR/ M-16 thread to answer the bashers w/ a dose of reality. Uncle Sugar gave me my 1st in 1966, I was 19. When I was given a CAR 15 I thought I had reached the pinnacle of combat arms.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The talking heads and general public call the AR15 a military weapon, was/is the AR15 an issued military weapon?

I thought and have read the military issued an M16, M4 or variants of both.

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Bristoe

I will say that I am vehemently opposed to any 19 year old kid being able to walk into a gun shop and plunk down 4-5 hundred bucks and walk out with an AR. Looking forward to any and all comments on this.

Me too. I think a 19 year old kid needs to build his first AR-15 from scratch.

Right after they build a flintlock rifle.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

they look good on a fence post too

[Linked Image]

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one loaded in every room of the house and all of my vehicles

Waiting for zombies

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by krupp
The rank and file don't want to be educated. They want to be led down the primrose path.

Facts don't matter, only emotion. The best reply to "Why do you need a whatever?" is BFYTW. They ain't going to hear facts anyway.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Understand that the enemy left in this country aren't interested in stopping killers. They are interested in consolidating power over you. Mass killings serve the purpose of the left.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by CowboyTim
We don't have a society with a gun problem, we have a broken society lacking in moral compass...correct that and the problem will quickly get back under control.

Exactly! We don't have a gun problem, we have a people problem.

GK

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
to many, it's an evil doer that exists only to kill people, especially school kids. A war machine that should not be available to the public. That's what I was told yesterday.

I was told the same thing last night, by a customer. She got pissed at the sight of my Friends of NRA hat that I was wearing. I explained the difference between the two organizationsm, but also told her that I am a loyal, Life Member of the NRA. She won’t likely buy anything from me for a very long time. So be it!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1234, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 44 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,641
Posts18,493,248
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.