Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Looking for a long range scope that is under 32 ounces. Ideally, that isn't too big that it looks terrible on a Model 70 hunting rifle and lighter, as in 20-28 oz better but not required. Reliability, repeatability preferred. FFP preferred, but not required. Either has turrets or a ballistic reticle that I can use with my Leica Geovid HD binos.

The choices I am considering are night force ATACR, S&B Polar or Klassic or PMII with turrets, Swaro z8, Leica Magnus BDC scope, Zeiss.

I'd prefer to be at 1.8-4x on low power range and Max 16-20x on high.

Max distance I will be shooting at the range will be 800 yards; Max distance in the field, less than 650 yards.

300 win mag cartridge.

"The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization"-- Emerson

Support outdoor sports and our hunting-conservationist heritage; hunt with high morals and ethical standards
GB1

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
Look no further than the Bushnell LRHS.

It's simply awesome if the weight isn't too much.

Dave

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve had excellent results from the Bushnell LRHS. They have recently been discontinued, but can still be found.

I have also had the same great results from the Bushnell LRTSi. Mine retains zero, tracks accurately and returns to zero perfectly. The glass is far better than its price point suggest it should be. Weight is around 27 oz.

Bushnell 3-12 LRTSi

Bushnell 4.5-18 LRTSi

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
With that kind of money to spend you might take a look at Tangent Theta.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

In my opinion S&B PMll or Hensholdt.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
nightforce NXS 3.5-15x50 MOAR reticle.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

To make the weight that you want the Zies Conquest V6 needs to be considered

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
What about the March Tactical 3-24x42 ? Only 22 ounces.

How do you know a Trump hater? They'll tell you.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Looking for a long range scope that is under 32 ounces. Ideally, that isn't too big that it looks terrible on a Model 70 hunting rifle and lighter, as in 20-28 oz better but not required. Reliability, repeatability preferred. FFP preferred, but not required. Either has turrets or a ballistic reticle that I can use with my Leica Geovid HD binos.

The choices I am considering are night force ATACR, S&B Polar or Klassic or PMII with turrets, Swaro z8, Leica Magnus BDC scope, Zeiss.

Max distance I will be shooting at the range will be 800 yards; Max distance in the field, less than 650 yards.

300 win mag cartridge.

Have you shot at long range yet? The lack of conviction on certain features like FFP/SFP and turrets/BDC makes me think that perhaps you should buy a less expensive but reliable scope to figure out what exactly you want before dropping over three grand on one. I am by no means an accomplished long range shooter but it took me very little time to figure out that I want FFP, mils, a reliable elevation turret, and hashes on the horizontal crosshair for windage holds. Ballistic reticles are ok but absolutely not what I would want on a high price long range setup. The reticle on many tactical scopes is a deal breaker for me to use as a hunting scope. So many are useless in low light without illumination. I'm not against illumination, but I want to be able to see the reticle whether or not the electronics in my scope are working.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
3 grand for 1 scope is insane. buy 2 NXS scopes for 3500 and outfit 2 different rigs. glass good enough to shoot well beyond legal light. dead nuts reliable tracking. spend money on other guns, ammo, gun parts or, high maintenance wives.

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
LRHSi 4.5x18 is my recommendation. Doug can hook you up for <1/3 if your budget. I’d the take the savings and put together a second rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on the LRHS/LRTS

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by elkaddict
LRHSi 4.5x18 is my recommendation. Doug can hook you up for <1/3 if your budget. I’d the take the savings and put together a second rifle.

Or go huntin...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you can go to 36 ounces, we have a demo of the #8704 Steiner M5Xi Military 5-25x56 - Horus H59 coming in at $2399.99 if this is of interest smile

Doug @ Camera Land

[email protected]
http://www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000

Thanks for the support.

[Linked Image from monstermuleys.com]
W
WRO Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W

300 win mag cartridge.

For the spec's listed above, I'd choose the Z8. It'll do everything you are asking better than your other choices. Right fit, 7 mils of adjustment, and i doubt you could find better glass on the market.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WRO

300 win mag cartridge.

For the spec's listed above, I'd choose the Z8. It'll do everything you are asking better than your other choices. Right fit, 7 mils of adjustment, and i doubt you could find better glass on the market.

Typo? 7 mils is a little light for long range.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rovert
Originally Posted by WRO

300 win mag cartridge.

7 mild is 24 MOA which will get the opening poster well past the range he wants to get to.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
The bushnell LRHS I am sure is a great scope (no direct experience) but to assume its in the same class as a Hensoldt, Tangent, S&B, and to refer it over these three is not the best advise IMHO. Are these three 2k better - maybe not, but not everyone that gets on this forum has to penny pinch. If the orignial poster can afford 3k for a scope, then great for him - get the best money can buy! I think the S&B PM II 3-12X would do him quite well. Usually, if someone can afford 3k for a scope, money is not the biggest issue, so he that person can probably still afford to build more rifles or buy tons of bullets to shoot.

I personally am not in that financial class as 1k optics are my ceiling, but if I had the money and could afford a 3k scope that fit my needs for the rifle it was going on, I would buy it over a bushnell in a heartbeat.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by rovert
Originally Posted by WRO

300 win mag cartridge.

7 mild is 24 MOA which will get the opening poster well past the range he wants to get to.

Sure, if a bases or rings are used to give the full use of that 7 mils. Anyone that buys a scope with 7 mils of travel and intends to shoot 800 yards is nuts. I'd be willing to bet the Z8 actually has more than that, probably double.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
The bushnell LRHS I am sure is a great scope (no direct experience) but to assume its in the same class as a Hensoldt, Tangent, S&B, and to refer it over these three is not the best advise IMHO. Are these three 2k better - maybe not, but not everyone that gets on this forum has to penny pinch. If the orignial poster can afford 3k for a scope, then great for him - get the best money can buy! I think the S&B PM II 3-12X would do him quite well. Usually, if someone can afford 3k for a scope, money is not the biggest issue, so he that person can probably still afford to build more rifles or buy tons of bullets to shoot.

I personally am not in that financial class as 1k optics are my ceiling, but if I had the money and could afford a 3k scope that fit my needs for the rifle it was going on, I would buy it over a bushnell in a heartbeat.

I think that was well said. We sometimes forget that $3K to some folks isn't any more than $300,or even $30 to most of us. With resources there's no need to go cheaper to afford a hunt or anything else.

One caveat however is that such a person usually isn't putting a $3K scope on a model 70.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 02/22/18.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

184 members (280shooter, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,639 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,335
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.