Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
My father despised me & died when I was 12, my mother tolerated me at best.

My few friends think it is strange that I prefer to do things alone.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I envy those of you who have fond memories of your fathers. Mine was an abusive alcoholic and a miser who charged me for my room, board, clothing and school supplies from age nine until I left home at age 17.

Bill Quimby

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had wonderful parents . . . a gift from God. Same for my grandparents and aunts and uncles. Have tried to pass it along to my children and grand children. All founded upon the blessed gospel of Jesus Christ.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Thank you sir. That reminds me that my dad, too, is 10 feet tall.
That's funny that you should say that. I've always said Dad was 10 feet tall and bulletproof. He went to heaven with a chunk of German shrapnel lodged near his spine, and the scar of a machine gun round that hit him in his belly.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
RLA Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
thanks for posting, my dad has been gone over 40 years, and you brought back some good memories.

IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
I had wonderful parents . . . a gift from God. Same for my grandparents and aunts and uncles. Have tried to pass it along to my children and grand children. All founded upon the blessed gospel of Jesus Christ.

why do you think jc favored you over the rest of us hard working tax-payers? were you privileged, or did you possess a special knowledge?

not to be combative, but you seem to be quite arrogant in your viewpoints of your special blessings?

i'm blessed, but god allowed me to do it on my own, as his special blessing to me.

it appears that being subsidized in an unfair way is not fair at all?

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Redneck
Nice post sir... Good thing to have had a father..

I had a boss.. We never did much together..

+1

Same here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This has been a good Thread and Hanco, hats off to you!

I just called my dad! Thanks everyone! God Bless

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Simoneaud
This has been a good Thread and Hanco, hats off to you!

I just called my dad! Thanks everyone! God Bless

Count your blessings again! Wish I could call mine but he's been gone forty-nine years now. I was twenty-five then and he is still my hero today.

Thanks to all for the memories.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ate lunch with mine today. We go at least once a week and sometimes breakfast on sat. I always pay. He rarely told me what to do, rather he showed me what you do. He lives his life as an example of how a man should live. Mother the same.
Other than the emphasis he placed on religion and his abstinence from alcohol (old school Baptist) I've tried to live up to his expectations of me. Feel fortunate Everytime I think of my parents.

Last edited by jackmountain; 02/22/18.

IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
This is a good thread!

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've got a good one, I've tried to follow his example with my own kids.

Dale

This space for rent

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My Dad is very much like the OP'S Dad. And I expect to lose him at any time.he is on oxy 24/7/365 now, and was told to get his affairs in order years ago. He is a decon in the church, an engineer, suma cum loude from Purdue, a life long hunter, and my role model. I hope to be the man he believes me to be.
When I grew up, I thought every kid learned electric, plumbing, drywall, concrete, carpentry, painting. I had no idea we did it, because we were too poor to hire it done. I ate meals I had no names for, and learned to play Dog for dad by the age of 5-6. I remember helping to clean long guns by 9.
Hunting and working along side my father has always been a bonding thing, and he had to give hunting up several years ago. He just could not do it any more.
I hope to pass his knowledge on to my grandson (@1yr) soon enough, but I could never replace him.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dale K
I've got a good one, I've tried to follow his example with my own kids.

Dale
I have met Dale K's father, and they don't come much better.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kellory
My Dad is very much like the OP'S Dad. And I expect to lose him at any time.he is on oxy 24/7/365 now, and was told to get his affairs in order years ago. He is a decon in the church, an engineer, suma cum loude from Purdue, a life long hunter, and my role model. I hope to be the man he believes me to be.
When I grew up, I thought every kid learned electric, plumbing, drywall, concrete, carpentry, painting. I had no idea we did it, because we were too poor to hire it done. I ate meals I had no names for, and learned to play Dog for dad by the age of 5-6. I remember helping to clean long guns by 9.
Hunting and working along side my father has always been a bonding thing, and he had to give hunting up several years ago. He just could not do it any more.
I hope to pass his knowledge on to my grandson (@1yr) soon enough, but I could never replace him.
Dad had me cleaning the guns at about that age too, Kellory. He trusted me to hunt on my own when I was 12. It wasn't much of an option, as money was very tight, and I was expected to put food on the table. My brother and I hunted a lot. Squirrels and rabbits mostly and the occasional pheasant. We fished, trapped, tended the garden, and I was always hustling odd jobs to help out. We knew no other way, and although things were very tight, we never felt like we were not well off. As long as there were a few shotgun shells or a handfull of 22 ammo available, we just went about our daily affairs. I think Dad started us young out of necessity. Growing boys need to eat, and while a fox squirrel certainly ain't filet mignon,in the capable hands of my mother's cooking, it ate pretty good. It's just the way it was.

Last edited by gophergunner; 02/23/18.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Father was killed when I was two.
Five years later my mother started to date my step-father (Dad).
He has been wonderful to my siblings and I, considering us his children.
We have called him Dad since almost the beginning, and people often call
him by my last name or he by mine, not knowing we are "steps".

I know he is pleased with much I do, disappointed in some.
Pretty much what one would expect. But my real father also
pops up in my thoughts.
I am not able to remember him, many people tell me about what a good man he was,
there are those who still get watery eyes talking about him, 45 years later.
Do I live up to his legacy? Would I be a disappointment to him?
I hope not too bad. Just something to ponder of an evening.

Last edited by Dillonbuck; 02/23/18.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I literally was just on an antelope hunt with my dad(in a dream) he’s been gone almost 2 years. He couldn’t hunt in the dream either, lol. My dad was a complicated man, Vietnam vet and for most of his life a functional alcoholic. But he was never mean, except on very rare occasions( aren’t we all). He loved his family like crazy is his own way and gave all he could to give my sister and I the best we could have. He considered me his best friend and would tell me anything and likewise I to him. He had lots of bad habits as do most of us down here and never professed his belief in God but I know for a fact he went on to be with the Lord. He went with me anywhere I would go, hope to follow him there.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Winter's dragging on here. Seems like it's a pretty long one this year. Leaves me too much time to think about things. Dad comes to mind. He's been gone a long time now, but the memories still endure. Dad loved a good pot of soup. On a dreary day like this, he'd pull a venison roast out of the freezer and get a pot of soup going. We'd retreat to the basement, and just do what dads and sons do when they bond. All the guns would get a thorough cleaning weather they needed it or not. We'd sit around the work bench. Dad would have his coffee, I'd have a pop. He'd talk to me about when he was a kid, or stories from deer camp. The ones they got, and a few they didn't. Once it a while he'd talk about his time in the Army. Not real often, as he saw a lot of action, and it was a tough on him. We'd get out all the fishing gear. Clean and lube the old Pfleugger's and Mitchell's. There was always something to tinker with as I listened intently to what he was teaching me about the out of doors, and life in general.

I often wonder if he's satisfied with the man that I've become. I will never thing I could possibly live up to his expectations. I just hope that once in a while I bring a smile to his face. This weekend, I think I'll take my son down to the gun room, drag out the rifles and clean everything. I'm sure there's some fishing gear that needs attention too.

Miss you Dad. See you soon, but not too soon, I hope.

I do the same with my son now in our gun room, so long after I'm gone he can write the same words as you. This past January my son crossbow hunted for the first time using my grandson's playhouse as a shooting house. I was watching him from my daughter's deck and as dark approached I text him saying "Don't leave until you can't see 30 yards". Two minutes later he has a Doe down. When I went to where he was to help him track he was PUMPED. He said to me " I was getting ready to leave when you text me to stay until dark...dark. He will always remember that text... don't stop hunting until you can't see below your stand.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (44mc, 2UP, 470Evans, 375TN, 35, 15 invisible), 1,563 guests, and 1,006 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.