Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by rovert
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by WRO
Originally Posted by John_Gregori
Looking for a long range scope that is under 32 ounces. Ideally, that isn't too big that it looks terrible on a Model 70 hunting rifle and lighter, as in 20-28 oz better but not required. Reliability, repeatability preferred. FFP preferred, but not required. Either has turrets or a ballistic reticle that I can use with my Leica Geovid HD binos.

The choices I am considering are night force ATACR, S&B Polar or Klassic or PMII with turrets, Swaro z8, Leica Magnus BDC scope, Zeiss.

I'd prefer to be at 1.8-4x on low power range and Max 16-20x on high.

Max distance I will be shooting at the range will be 800 yards; Max distance in the field, less than 650 yards.

300 win mag cartridge.

For the spec's listed above, I'd choose the Z8. It'll do everything you are asking better than your other choices. Right fit, 7 mils of adjustment, and i doubt you could find better glass on the market.

Typo? 7 mils is a little light for long range.

7 mild is 24 MOA which will get the opening poster well past the range he wants to get to.

Sure, if a bases or rings are used to give the full use of that 7 mils. Anyone that buys a scope with 7 mils of travel and intends to shoot 800 yards is nuts. I'd be willing to bet the Z8 actually has more than that, probably double.

I suspect it has more than 7 mills also.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by WRO
Looking for a long range scope that is under 32 ounces. Ideally, that isn't too big that it looks terrible on a Model 70 hunting rifle and lighter, as in 20-28 oz better but not required. Reliability, repeatability preferred. FFP preferred, but not required. Either has turrets or a ballistic reticle that I can use with my Leica Geovid HD binos.

The choices I am considering are night force ATACR, S&B Polar or Klassic or PMII with turrets, Swaro z8, Leica Magnus BDC scope, Zeiss.

Max distance I will be shooting at the range will be 800 yards; Max distance in the field, less than 650 yards.

300 win mag cartridge.

For the spec's listed above, I'd choose the Z8. It'll do everything you are asking better than your other choices. Right fit, 7 mils of adjustment, and i doubt you could find better glass on the market.

Typo? 7 mils is a little light for long range.

7 mild is 24 MOA which will get the opening poster well past the range he wants to get to.

Sure, if a bases or rings are used to give the full use of that 7 mils. Anyone that buys a scope with 7 mils of travel and intends to shoot 800 yards is nuts. I'd be willing to bet the Z8 actually has more than that, probably double.

Also, "well past" might be a little generous. I'm at 7.9 mils at 1000 with my 300 and a 200 yard zero. I would have to bottom out the scope and use Signature rings to zero it at 100 yards just to get to 900 yds with a 7 mil scope. Doable? Yes, but it is not an exercise in scope mounting that I care to participate in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
The bushnell LRHS I am sure is a great scope (no direct experience) but to assume its in the same class as a Hensoldt, Tangent, S&B, and to refer it over these three is not the best advise IMHO. Are these three 2k better - maybe not, but not everyone that gets on this forum has to penny pinch. If the orignial poster can afford 3k for a scope, then great for him - get the best money can buy! I think the S&B PM II 3-12X would do him quite well. Usually, if someone can afford 3k for a scope, money is not the biggest issue, so he that person can probably still afford to build more rifles or buy tons of bullets to shoot.

I personally am not in that financial class as 1k optics are my ceiling, but if I had the money and could afford a 3k scope that fit my needs for the rifle it was going on, I would buy it over a bushnell in a heartbeat.

For the given requirements, I recommend the LRHS despite the price. If he was looking for a little heavier scope then I’d be recommending the ATACR or TT.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A single turn PMII will give you 13 mils on the turret.

It takes less than 7 mils to get to 1000 with my 6.5 SAUM...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Hiaring8
The bushnell LRHS I am sure is a great scope (no direct experience) but to assume its in the same class as a Hensoldt, Tangent, S&B, and to refer it over these three is not the best advise IMHO. Are these three 2k better - maybe not, but not everyone that gets on this forum has to penny pinch. If the orignial poster can afford 3k for a scope, then great for him - get the best money can buy! I think the S&B PM II 3-12X would do him quite well. Usually, if someone can afford 3k for a scope, money is not the biggest issue, so he that person can probably still afford to build more rifles or buy tons of bullets to shoot.

I personally am not in that financial class as 1k optics are my ceiling, but if I had the money and could afford a 3k scope that fit my needs for the rifle it was going on, I would buy it over a bushnell in a heartbeat.

For the given requirements, I recommend the LRHS despite the price. If he was looking for a little heavier scope then I’d be recommending the ATACR or TT.

I put my money in NXS and S&B and never regretted it. In my opinion the S&B is top of the line, but I’ve never used a Hendsholt.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is a good article regarding what scopes are seeing the most use and success among the top PRS competitors. The site has a lot of good info on top equipment in general. Much of this is geared towards that type of competition, which has some cross over with tactical use and too less of an extent hunting. For instance the top of the line Vortex scopes are reputed to be excellent but they weigh a bunch and I wouldn't carry one on a hunting rifle.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2017/03/03/long-range-scopes-pros-use/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of good options out there. I’ve got limited time behind Hensoldt’s, but they’re pretty wicked. Guys that I respect, and who use it all, are extremely impressed with TT over the other top dogs...

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Lots of good options out there. I’ve got limited time behind Hensoldt’s, but they’re pretty wicked. Guys that I respect, and who use it all, are extremely impressed with TT over the other top dogs...

I also have a US Optics, but to my eyes what sets the S&B top of the heap is their low light ability that beat everything that I’ve looked through if there is something better I’d like to have one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If a guy could live with a fixed power, the PMII 10x is a sweet scope, and would be right at home on a Mod 70 hunting rifle...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I also have a US Optics, but to my eyes what sets the S&B top of the heap is their low light ability that beat everything that I’ve looked through if there is something better I’d l8e to have one.

The PMII 5-25x’s I’ve used were definitely alpha class, but I wouldn’t put one on a Mod 70 sporter...

IC B3

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
If a guy could live with a fixed power, the PMII 10x is a sweet scope, and would be right at home on a Mod 70 hunting rifle...

I really like the 4X16 PMll I keep it on 8 or 10 power a lot but occasionally I need to turn the power down or up as the case may be. In good light the others that I have work very well including a Meopta 4X16 with target turrets.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Or a 700 clone...

[Linked Image]

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
For carrying and simplicity PM II. Single turn turret, mil dot reticle, fixed power, at 21oz
[Linked Image]

But a SWFA in fixed 6 or 10 would work well too, for less.

Last edited by Farming; 02/22/18.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just for clarification, the Swarovski Z8 has 7 MILs in one revolution. The OP will be able to reach beyond his intended distance with ease and in style.

I hunt, therefore I am.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

300 win mag cartridge.

Have you shot at long range yet? The lack of conviction on certain features like FFP/SFP and turrets/BDC makes me think that perhaps you should buy a less expensive but reliable scope to figure out what exactly you want before dropping over three grand on one.

Yep, see these types regularly, they have all the gear but no idea, go to a range and borrow stuff, you will soon work out what works.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Schmidt and Bender scopes were still topping more rifles than any other this year. This probably comes as no shock. Although the design is now a decade old, the Schmidt and Bender PMII 5-25×56 continues to be the king in the long-range scope world. This was proven once more in a 400+ hour data-driven scope field test I conducted recently focused on the best 18 scopes money can buy. Apparently, it took me 400 hours to figure out what most of these guys already knew! Although you may have to sell a kidney on the black market to be able to afford one … it might be worth it. The scope is near flawless. Don’t you really only need one kidney anyway?

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2014/10/24/best-tactical-scopes-what-the-pros-use/

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
The link you provided is 4 years old. Below is a link to the current breakdown. Schmidt and Bender is now #4.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Or a 700 clone...

Or a NULA, or a GAP, or a.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Hondo64d
The link you provided is 4 years old. Below is a link to the current breakdown. Schmidt and Bender is now #4.

John

I realize that and I’ve rea$ all of them. S&B are very expensive and thr6 do not sponsor to my knowledge. I’ve used a lot of different scope and S&B has been the best for me especially in low light hunting situations. I own 6 of them at present. I very reluctant to spend the coin on them at first bu5 once I did nothing else measured up.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I can't see how suggesting all of these PRS favorite scopes is helpful. This thread is mainly asking for a hunting scope. I can't imagine using a Vortex EBR-2C (the most poplar reticle from the last article) for a big game hunting rifle. The parameters were up to 650 yards hunting and 800 yards target. 18 mils between the (not quite heavy enough) horizontal posts is way too much if the lights go out. The reticles available would rule out many of these scopes for me. The S&B P3 reticle is probably the best available from the scopes mentioned so far. I'd rather see hashes than dots, though. I think the Bushnell G2H would be similarly useful, but still a little wide.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (219DW, 204guy, 1minute, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,600
Posts18,511,453
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.