Print Thread
Hop To
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Im interested in heading to other states to extend my hunting and see/do different things. I desperately miss backpack hunting since moving east from Alaska. I currently hunt several eastern states and plan on adding some western states to the list, mainly CO and WY for Pronghorn and Mule Deer. I have zero points in these states and plan on buying points this year in preparation for future years. Once I have some points built up, use them appropriately for a decent area. In the meantime I thought why not NE? Almost guaranteed (mule) deer tag, chance at a pronghorn doe tag?? Good opportunity to hone my mulley/pronghorn skills so when I get some points acquired in neighboring states I know what I am doing. So my question is, why isnt NE discussed more when Mule Deer or Pronghorn is mentioned, particularly for eastern hunters and its closer proximity? Ive been through there and western NE looks a lot like eastern CO and WY. Ive already talked to the bio for the area we are looking at going and the only thing that has me scared is the hunting pressure. Is the hunting pressure for NE that much more than WY/CO? Is it because of the condensed one week any deer season? limited public areas?

Just trying to get a warm fuzzy that my plan is a decent one, or should I shift my focus on trying to secure other/easier tags while I build some points.

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
New Mexico has no point system. The deadline for the draw is March 21st

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I had shy'd away from NM knowing you had to purchase Gen Hunt license to apply, but it looks like if you are un-successful it is refunded to you??? Even if not, its $65 which isnt too bad. Thanks for the tip.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by TomM1
I had shy'd away from NM knowing you had to purchase Gen Hunt license to apply, but it looks like if you are un-successful it is refunded to you??? Even if not, its $65 which isn't too bad. Thanks for the tip.

For about $2500 cost after refunds you can apply for AZ, NM, TX, KS, CO, UT, NV, ID, MT and WY. That includes applying for all species. You will tie up about $15,000 for a while as some of those states like NM require you pay for the tag to apply though odds to draw may be 1 in 400 to draw, for example. You could draw a lot of tags each year but if focus on the more desirable pronghorn, deer and elk units as apply you might not draw any of those most years for the first 5 - 10 years. Drawing a sheep ram, goat or bull moose tag might never happen.

You need to be flexible as you might have 60 - 80 applications out a year and you could end up with an August pronghorn hunt or a December elk hunt. Some tags are under $500 and some over $2000. You can build points with zero chance to draw a tag in a particular year for some species in some states. Generally, you would only do that for pronghorn, deer and elk as the sheep, goat and moose tags are so unlikely to draw you want to apply every year and even then after 30 years might not draw any of those tags. Pronghorn are about half the tags I have drawn.

For around $150 a year can get info re the more desirable tags in the West. I would suggest Epic or Huntin Fool or GoHunt. Any one of those services will be useful as decide where to apply out West. Big Fin over at HuntTalk does a free series of YouTube videos that briefly goes over the application process for most of the states out West.

I have applied for over 20 years in the above states and the most tags I drew in a year are 5 and some years none. Have drawn one mountain goat tag, one bull moose tag, and no ram tags. I focus on great elk and deer units and average pronghorn units. I just drew a nice WY bull elk tag yesterday so I will alter my 2018 elk, deer and pronghorn strategy to apply for points only or only the very best hunts as one hunt this year is plenty for me. If I draw a sheep tag then will be thrilled to have a second hunt, though.

Last edited by LopeSticker; 02/23/18. Reason: Spelling is hard

A computer once beat me at chess. I then won a kickboxing contest with the same computer. So, 1-1 to date.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Awesome, thanks for the info and congrats on the tag. I know the feeling having drawn some nice goat and moose tags as an Alaska res.

Ive been listening to folks from GoHunt since learning how to operate a podcast, been very helpful. I've decided to focus my draw strategy on NM, CO and WY for now. NM and WY have a full or partial random chance, so why not. Ive heard there are good deer units about everywhere in CO, just have to study the draw odds and access.

I have the ability to take the time off, a vehicle, necessary funds for DIY, and a slew of hotel points smile Now just need to learn the application ins/outs and get out there to learn areas in regards to animal density and public access.

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
IC B2

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Got nothing of substance to add but I do love yer sig line!

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Lol...Thx Eric, no worries most of my posts lack substance and I am usually trying 🤪

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Tom, I used to hunt mulies in Neb. often.. The problem with that state is private land.. I had a pal that knew people.. Since he is gone I haven't been back..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're going to tie up a hell of a lot more than $15,000 if you apply for everything like lopesticker suggests. I apply for many of those same states too and NM alone ties up around $8000. Idaho sheep ties up around $2300. Wyoming bison alone will suck $4500 from your credit card for a few months, and applying for everything in Wyoming will run you close to $10,000 as a non resident.

Otherwise his info is spot on---saturate the draw odds by putting your name in for absolutely everything and your odds of drawing something good every year goes wayyyy up. I put in for most everything in NM, MT, WY and AK every year---I quit dealing with AZ and NV as I really didn't feel like buying a license to just get a point year after year, but it may be worth it for you. I was in too deep in WY and MT to quit now. I have been buying a Maine moose point for several years but haven't been participating in the draw yet.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

211 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 264mag, 204guy, 34 invisible), 2,093 guests, and 985 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,975
Posts18,499,471
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.