Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I've been into guns for several decades but I have never had one of those rifles that Zumbo doesn't like. With the upcoming possibility of the reimplementation of the Assault Weapons Ban, I'm thinking that I really need an AR15 type weapon.

After looking at all of the possibilities (Bushmaster, Rock River, S&W, DPMS, and Stag Arms), I've pretty much settled on a DPMS AP4. Is that a good choice? Are there any options that you would recommend, e.g., Glacier Guards, Harris Bipod, Chrome or Titanium bolt assembly, JP adjustable trigger, or four rail free float handguards, that would make the rifle better/more practical?

Can you get a conversion kit for this rifle that allows 22LR to be used?

Thanks,

Mike

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You can get a kit or a 22 upper for any of them.

Options are up to you. I don't care for a cluttered gun. I can do all I need to with iron sights and a sling. That being said the rest of the stuff is workable and useable, I'd sooner make sure my barrel is free floated than anything else. And the trigger upgrade is a good thing but I've no experience with a JP. Some upgrades are better than factory but still suck. BM is one. Heard that Jard is very good single stage.

Coating on the bolt carrier. I have my combat one coated with NP3 and I"d do it again, this time with whatever Fit 4 Duty would suggest.

BAsically though, get the gun now, you can add and subtract to these guns all day later on...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Namebrand is not what it once was or meant when spending money on a AR. DPMS is top qulaity IMHO along with RR, Bushmaster, etc. Essential arms probably machines more lowers for these guys than the companies themselves. There will always be loyal customers tell you one or the other, kind of like Ford vs. Chevy.

I've think that the Jard trigger is the way to go, but I have limited experience with others.

Probably the two biggest factors you need to look at are:
what size/contour barrel you want
and flat top or fixed carry handle.
This can be changed by getting a different upper later on, but the initial set up should be the foundation to what you are after. I like the flat top with the removeable carry handle and flip up open sights. It's very versitile with scope and open sight capabilities. The AP4 is a nice start.

This is God's universe, and he has a plan. You might think that you have aa better plan, but you don't have a universe.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Rost and goose have given you good advice CR. The AR is one of the most accurate, versatile and enjoyable rifles you can own, the upper and lower sections separate with the push of 2 pins in a matter of seconds, and a variety of alternative caliber uppers in addition to the 5.56/.223 common upper chambering can be added to suit your shooting needs. Whatever manufacturer you choose to buy, you'll find all the help you need along the way on this board, enjoy it!

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Thanks for the advice and insight. Rost495, I think that I will take your advice and just get the gun now, and then add whatever I think that I would like to change later on. Goose2044, your point regarding "flat top or fixed carry handle" Is a good one. I had been thinking about how I could put an Aimpoint on it later on. It turns out that the one that I'm getting has a removable carry handle, so I'm set.

TrophyHunter, I guess that I should have known that you could change the caliber by changing the upper, but I didn't. That is a really good idea! I was having an argument with myself about which of the choices in calibers was the best, and I was leaning toward the 260 Rem so that I could shoot deer with it. I decided on the 5.56x45 as it seemed to be the standard round. I'll get the 260 Rem upper later on.

Anyway, I really appreciate all of you taking the time to provide me with your insights.

Mike

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I may be out of the loop on new calibers available for the AR platform, but I don't think the 260 Remmy is one of them. The WSSM calibers are available as are may others, like various 6mm's, and large bores like 458 Socom and 50 Beowulf. The trait they all share is the case and overall cartridge length that will fit in an AR magazine. I don't believe any of the short action rounds, such as the 260, 308, 243, etc, will accomplish that. That said, the WSSM rounds are a great alternative. I have a 243WSSM and it shoots good and gives me plenty of punch for deer, antelope and pigs. Rost has a 6mm wildcat based off the 6.7 the military was looking at. Of course, that 6.7 is a very popular round these days too. If you want to stay with a 6.5, there's a round called the 6.5 Grendall that interests many, including myself. So many choices......so little money! grin

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Yep, the 260 has to come from the AR10/SR25 big brother platform.

Ricky has answered the questions though, and I'm after a 25 wssm but for some reason when mentioning calibers available I often forget the 243/25 wssm rounds...

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
RickyD,

I am amazed at the caliber choices that are available for this platform. It seems like you can get on in any configuration/caliber imaginable. Here's a link to the info on the .260 Rem; http://www.dpmsinc.com/firearms/260/

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I should be getting the Panther AP4 within 10 days, according to my supplier. So, I've started looking around for components to load on a fairly large scale. I can't seem to find any cheap (Remington or Winchester) 55 gr. FMJ bullets anywhere. I've looked at Midway, Natchez, Graf & Sons and Widener's. No cases of 1000 or 2000 available anywhere.

I've also looked for surplus ammo, and haven't found any. I would prefer to load my own, so not finding the surplus stuff doesn't break my heart.

First, is 55 gr FMJ the way to go? What's the best recipe for loads for a semi-auto. I load for a 22-250, but that's a horse of another color, I suspect.

Brass seems to be in rather short supply also. Where do y'all get your supplies?

Thanks,

Mike

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I believe you'll find that the 260 is built on the larger AR-10 style frame they call their LR for large rifle, I suppose. Those uppers will not fit on a standard AR frame. Many others will. But, hey!....it gives you a reason to buy another rifle. That SAUM is sure interesting!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

491 members (222Sako, 264mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 45 invisible), 17,319 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,930
Posts18,539,130
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.