Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Some think the 7 Mauser can be handloaded to = the 7-08. Seems likely, tho I haven't tried it."

I have to some degree. Been playing with 150 gr. grain bullets and Re17. I get 2700 FPS with the 150 gr. Nosler Partition with good accuracy I have reached 2880 FPS with that powder and bullet but accuracy was a bit erratic. I also tried Re17 with the 150 gr. Nosler ABLR andRe17 for a top end of 2920 FPS. Accuracy was lousy. To be perfectly honest, that bullet hasn't shot worth spit in three 7x57 rifle and a .280 Remington. The 7x57s are a Ruger #1A, Winchester M70 FWT and a custom based on an FN Mauser.
The Mauser is a bit problematic regarding pressure though and shows high pressure signs way sooner that the other two rifles. I did a test run with the three rifles and the 175 gr. Hornady round nose. I loaded to duplicate the original 1893 load that the cartridge based it's reputation on. The M70 and #1 were spot one and accurate at 2320 and 2330 FPS respectively. The Mauser ran almost 100 FPS faster with the same load. The chamber is very tight as the pressure/expansion ridge is almost non-existent. The throat is the standard for the 175 gr. bullet at my request when I had the rifle built. Accuracy is very good with factory and the few handloads that were not giving problems with pressure signs. Guess I'll still have to figure that one out.
PaulB.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Dirtfarmer,

I posted way back in this thread about how the .280 sold all right the first few years, when Remington promoted it pretty well. In the beginning it was never intended to compete with bolt-action .270's. Instead it was meant as a ".270 equivalent" cartridge for the Remington semiauto, because the .270 operated at too-high pressures.

It didn't "fail" as a bolt-action round because of Remington's poor promotion. It failed because it wasn't intended to primarily be a bolt-action round. If Remington had intended the .280 for bolt-actions, they would have been even dumber than many Campfire members believe, because it was so similar to the .270, which was already well-established--and there wasn't any noticeable difference in the field.

.280 nuts like to argue that their cartridge is vastly superior, but I've hunted a LOT with both the .270 and .280, and for the sub-500 yard big game hunting most people actually do, there isn't any difference--except you can buy .270 ammo and brass easily, almost anywhere. Except for shooting beyond 500 yards, where the wider availbility of high-BC 7mm bullets makes some difference, the claimed "superiority is based on tiny differences in bullet weight, velocity, etc. If loonies couldn't weigh bullets or lacked chronographs, the differences would never be noticeable, whether in the field or by simply looking at one of the rounds.

Remington knew the 7mm Remington Magnum would just about kill off the .280, but they gambled that the 7mm would be a hit. It was, far more than any other post-WWII non-varmint cartridge until the 6.5 Creedmoor came along in 2007. Due to the enormous success of the 7mm RM, I sincerely doubt Remington regretted the semi-demise of the .280.

This thread is yet another example of how the longest Campfire rifle-cartridge threads are almost always about stuff that doesn't make any difference, except in the minds of loonies.

And yet we find out that the winner of the sales contest has too short a neck, combined with too shallow a shoulder angle !
Leading to inconsistent pressure perturbations, Gasp !

I'll keep my .280's thanks, and fondly remember my first 7x57 ( a well hunted BRNO ) that broke me in gently, and fed so, so slickly. wink

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I think the SA appeal of the 7mm-08 is the reason. My wife also hunts with and adores it. It fills a niche that the 280 doesn’t. After all, we already had the 270.

Other than shorter bolt throw, a LA can be made into a very light rifle.

I guess it's just the idea of a SA.

I wish there were more 3" actions, which would be good for rounds like .257R, 7x57, 6 mm Rem, etc., give more bullet room for .243, .260, etc.

DF

^ This ^

Not too Long, Not Too Short, But Just Right.

I dream of a NULA 20 in 6mmAI , or .260 ; and of course the Mauser actions were designed around the x57 case dimensions & taper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
inconsistent pressure perturbations

I think there's a pill for that!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
would the old grandad 30 have the popularity it now has.
[/quote]

Why of course! its an '06, which I bet almost everybody that hunts has used or seen used or seen the ammo in Podunk Texas! ha

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
would the old grandad 30 have the popularity it now has.

Why of course! its an '06, which I bet almost everybody that hunts has used or seen used or seen the ammo in Podunk Texas! ha
[/quote]
grin

Just way too boring for Loonies...

Just kills stuff, generation after generation, keeps on keeping on.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Teeder
inconsistent pressure perturbations

I think there's a pill for that!

grin

Does sound like a diagnosis...

Should that be considered a flaw in the case design? Rough throats in test barrels, SAAMI pressure ceiling compared to the 7mm Wby...

And the .243, similar situation compared to the 6 mm Rem., which SAAMI allows to run at full throttle, 65K psi.

DF

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Wow. So what exactly is wrong with the 280 again?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Wow. So what exactly is wrong with the 280 again?

.270 based performance perception.

Think of the .280 as a longer 7x57 with a bit less taper, and it all clears up wink

Last edited by 338Rules; 03/01/18. Reason: Punctuation Perturbation

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
"This thread is yet another example of how the longest Campfire rifle-cartridge threads are almost always about stuff that doesn't make any difference, except in the minds of loonies. "

LOL, we represent that remark.

well played.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
The .280 AI has a following, near 7RM performance on a non mag, case. Brass is available, don't have to fire form.

If I didn't have a 7RM, I'd be looking at building one.

DF

D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Horrors... ... hunting with... ... a 270... ... is so.... ... so wrong! for a 280 Looney

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Reloder 28,

If more muzzle velocity was the only criteria for choosing a big game cartridge, then the .280 would be considered mediocre among 7mm rounds.

I do not disagree at all. It’s just that it would be my lowest choice from the top of the chain of 7’s.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
The .280 AI has a following, near 7RM performance on a non mag, case. Brass is available, don't have to fire form.

DF

I was able to steal a 280 AI from Kenai King a few years ago. It is a dream of a shooting iron.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by shawlerbrook
I think the SA appeal of the 7mm-08 is the reason. My wife also hunts with and adores it. It fills a niche that the 280 doesn’t. After all, we already had the 270.

I think that is where the popularity of the 7-08 comes to bear.

Being a 280 fan, I tip my hat to Remington for birthing this stepchild.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
as a gun dealer I always tell parents either buy your son-daughter either a 243 win. or a 7mm-08 rem. reason as has been posted before these two cartridge kick less,ammo is easy and generally cheaper to buy .if they ask me which one I like best to hunt deer with I lean towards a 7mm-08 always, its a cartridge that has very good accuracy easiest and yes again less recoil,many times I help sight the gun in too.in the world of just a regular deer hunting family that does not reload they want easy and yes cheaper too,gun manufactures have gotten down to just a few calibers they chamber barrels for now days and let`s be honest the 280 Remington is not one of them,but I personally do like the 280 Rem., but in the past in my area we you used to have money shoots out to 500 yards and my 7mm-08 with handloads made me a lot of money in those days. I wish gun manufactures would bring back more caliber-cartridge choices again and easier too.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
G
G

DF

I'm a big fan of the .280AI and the 7mm-08.

Handloading is a must to get the most performance out of each caliber, but you can actually find 7mm-08 on the shelf.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
...........280 nuts like to argue that their cartridge is vastly superior....

I once thought that and have engaged in several such arguments only to realize my ignorance. While I assent 100%, I still would never hunt with a 270 voluntarily.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Reloder28

I once thought that and have engaged in several such arguments only to realize my ignorance. While I assent 100%, I still would never hunt with a 270 voluntarily.

I am going to give you credit... for being humorous.

IF you are NOT..... Do you know how ASININE that is ??

Mule Deer posted on P 10......

[/b]"280 nuts like to argue that their cartridge is vastly superior, but I've hunted a LOT with both the .270 and .280, and for the sub-500 yard big game hunting most people actually do, there isn't any difference--except you can buy .270 ammo and brass easily, almost anywhere.

......If loonies couldn't weigh bullets or lacked chronographs, the differences would never be noticeable, whether in the field or by simply looking at one of the rounds. [b]

I admit I have some IRRational views about some things, but THAT is ridiculous IF you're serious.

I sincerely hope you're not.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 175rltw
One thing I’ll tell you. A couple 7mm-08 shells in your pocket while you hike isn’t as irritating as a couple 280 etc shells. The 4 I pull out of the rifle at the end of the day line up perfectly in the ashtray of my Truck but anything 30/06 length (280) and up doesn’t lay in there just right.

can't argue with that !

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 01Foreman400, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,056 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,664
Posts18,512,923
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.