Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
bja105 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I am new to AR's, but not reloading. I have never had to remove a primer crimp. I won't be doing high volume. What tool do you recommend?
Can I chuck this in a cordless drill? Is it what I need?
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/501588/hornady-primer-pocket-reamer-tool-small

I have .223 dies from my bolt gun. Is that all I need? No small base?

How do I set up my die to work my brass enough, but not too much? Do I bottom out the die and plan on loosing the brass before I wear it out. On a bolt gun, I know how to test if I sized the brass enough, and if I have some jump to the rifling. How do I do that with this AR.

If it matters, this is a cheaper Palmetto State Armory upper with a .223 Wylde chamber.

Thanks
Jason

Jason
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Get a case gauge. Size just enough so that a case goes in and out of the gauge without difficulty. Very doubtful small base dies are ever needed for an AR.

If you are not doing a huge volume of brass, the standard and inexpensive RCBS crimp removal tool works fine. It takes some trial and error adjustment. Once adjusted, set the lock ring and you needn't adjust it again. Many who bellyache about the RCBS tool never adjusted it properly and may have bent the punch. I think newer tools have a beefed up punch anyway.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To use a reamer, or any tool with 8-32 threads in a drill, get this: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/314848/redding-primer-pocket-uniformer-tool-power-adapter

Reamers are also sold without the handle if you don't need it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hornady or RCBS reamer chucked into a drill with the above mentioned Redding adapter.
Bump shoulders back 3-4 thousandths when resizing.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty much any of the primer crimp removal tools work. I've even used a chamfer and debur tool in a pinch. I have a Dillon super swage for removing crimps that I use when working in large batches.

The best way, only way for me, to setup dies is with a bump gauge and calipers. Sinclair makes them and Hornady also sells a inexpensive kit. You can measure a fired case and then resize until your shoulder has been bumped .003"-.004" back. You can do the same thing with a case gauge as long as you have the right measuring tools. Unless you can measure it, your just guessing.

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/02/18.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Do you have a countersink bit already? Something like these will work almost always and you can chamfer the mouths with it also.

https://www.amazon.com/MMdex-3-Piec...r=8-2&keywords=countersink+drill+bit

Probably won't need small base dies.

The advice most people here who reload for AR's is to bump the shoulder back about .003".

If you still have the bolt gun, try the rounds you've already loaded for it, they'll probably work fine in the AR. I'm sizing all of my .223 to fit my CZ 527 and using them in my AR's without issue.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
rcbs case master trim mate, I put a primer pocket thingy on one of the stations. I bought 1000 cases from brass bombers they are supposed to already come deprimed and swaged but I find a few cases there and there need a touch up. so I just run the primer pocket on it for a couple seconds.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I prefer swaging. Even though you can chamfer the pocket, many primer pockets have a slight out round hole from crimp processes. Swaging leaves a round pocket. I have two RCBS tools for swaging pockets. My preferred is:

http://rcbs.com/Products/Case-Preparation/Accessories/Primer-Pocket-Swager-Bench-Tool.aspx

I have it mounted to a board and swage while watching TV. I can do 10 to 12 cases per minute. In December of last year i swaged 4000 cases.

I normally decap cases with Frankford Arsenal hand decapper, next clean cases via sonic cleaner and then swage pockets.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I have the RCBS case master. Works fine if you are just doing a few. If you decide to start gathering up range brass then the Dillion Swager is the way to go.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 03/03/18.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like swaging better. If I was going to buy a tool, I'd buy a Dillon case primer pocket swager. I always seem to mash my fingers with the RCBS swager.
Otherwise, just use a chamfer tool that you'd use to deburr the case mouths.

Politics is War by Other Means
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Get the Dillon case gauge, I full length size, cause I have more brass than I could possibly shoot. My sons best friend is in the army, he brings a couple 5 gallon buckets every time he drives home on leave. Make sure your resized brass will fall in and out of the case gauge like a factory round. Trim every piece to length. I had 500 rounds the bolt wouldn’t close that I loaded. It was factory Remington, I had to shoot it all in a bolt rifle. I use small base dies. Good luck

Last edited by hanco; 03/03/18.
B
bja105 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks all.

The shop I ended up in today had the RCBS swager kit, so I bought it.
I need to find my dial calliper. I will get a case gage.

I remember there are primers with harder or thicker cups, to prevent slam fires. Is that something I need. I shot some ammo from my bolt gun with no problem.

Jason
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I've used thousands of CCI, Federal, Winchester, and Remington small rifle & small rifle match primers in my AR's without having a slam fire.

The one I settled on as my favorite is the CCI BR-4 primer.

I've never crimped and I've never found it necessary to use small base dies.

Wishing you the best in your adventure! AR's are FUN!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never had an issue with most primers. I would avoid WWSR though, per others issues that I trust. And the federal SR because we did have maybe 2 slam fires with them.

BR4 and Rem 7.5s are standbys but shot a LOT of 450s when moving to N540 powder, more accurate. Found nothing more accurate than BR4 with Target. Then started moving to the M41s as they shot just as well as 450s, harder cup, with N540 which is not a bad thing, with a floating pin.

No crimp, no small base. Did have to use small base in custom M1As, but never in an AR. In fact a buddy neck sizes lots of his ammo for at least a few firings before bumping it back.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd add to the list of primers to avoid the Rem 6 1/2 and the CCI 400. Not that they are guaranteed problems, just that there isn't as much margin.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'd add to the list of primers to avoid the Rem 6 1/2 and the CCI 400. Not that they are guaranteed problems, just that there isn't as much margin.

CCI's have a hard cup. It's a much harder material when compared to something like Winchester or Federal primers.

I've shot plenty of CCI 400's in AR's. Never had a problem. Of course, typically I only use them with stick powders, the 450's typically produce smaller groups with ball powders.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
400s don't hold pressure like the 450s or the BRs.

That said, I've shot several thousand of them in 5.56. But they aren't my first choice. They are behind a lot of other primers like 41s, 7 1/2s and Wolf/Tula.

B
bja105 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Thanks guys. I have mostly cci primers, 400, 450, and BR.
I shot 22s with my 3 boys today. My oldest (almost 11) is really enthusiastic. We shot the AR and a single shot .44 Magnum last week. He wants to shoot more rifles. I have everything from .243 to .458. He'll get a chance at the .243 and 30/30 this year. He's too short for most of my rifles. I have some youth shotguns.

I am so glad I have someone to share this with. The last few years, between farming and work, I have not made time to work or shoot. This year will be different, and we are starting now.

Jason
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I always uniform the pocket & remove any trace of a crimp that might be present, even on non-military brass..................just makes primer seating so much easier & uniform, not necessarily for any gain in accuracy.

JME, YMMV.

MM

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I have some rifles that would run fine with reloads from standard dies. I have other rifles, due to a tightly cut chamber, requiring SB dies. My advice, put a few rounds together and run them. This avoids the pitfalls of a bunch of reloads you have break down and redo.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 74 invisible), 3,099 guests, and 1,392 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,255
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.