Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
First off, I'm not implying any sort of limit. I'm just purely wondering how many firearms you actually use out of your collections regularly. "Go to" guns per se. Personally I have a couple handguns I regularly carry, and 4-5 other rifles that I regularly shoot. I'm judging on average times I shoot them a year. There are others I pull out and shoot every 1-2 years, and still others I have yet to shoot since I have bought them.

For those that have multiple calibers that are fairly comparable, do you find yourself using a broad range of them, or is there a specific rifle that you always find yourself grabbing without fail?

Just a thought rattling around in my head today.

EDIT: Realized how I typed the initial title was contradictory. The question I'm really looking for the answer is how many of your firearms do you use on a regular basis? I/E more than a couple times a year.

Last edited by codybrown; 03/06/18.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Depends entirely on how broke I am.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Codybrown: The answer to your question is... MORE!
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
What I need today might be different than what I need tomorrow. It’s like money, more is always better.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My father had a 30-06, a 12 ga, and his boyhood 22 rifle single shot.
When he hunted, he threw guns in his car's trunk and they got scratched by vibrating against the car jack.

He never bought me a gun.
When I walk into a pawn shop, I often buy many guns.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Codybrown: The answer to your question is... MORE!
Long live the Second Amendment.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
AGREED!

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by codybrown
First off, I'm not implying any sort of limit. I'm just purely wondering how many firearms you actually use out of your collections regularly. "Go to" guns per se. Personally I have a couple handguns I regularly carry, and 4-5 other rifles that I regularly shoot. I'm judging on average times I shoot them a year. There are others I pull out and shoot every 1-2 years, and still others I have yet to shoot since I have bought them.

For those that have multiple calibers that are fairly comparable, do you find yourself using a broad range of them, or is there a specific rifle that you always find yourself grabbing without fail?

Got everything from .17 Rem to .375HH.. But what I recommend for everyone is to have at LEAST one gun for every window in the house.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by codybrown

That is on a NTKB. Ain't nobody need to know.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
Concealed carry or open carry?

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
How many? I think 3 more. Maybe 4.

How many are useful depends on where you live, what your opportunities are, and how many of those you regularly take advantage of. Choices change as life changes.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Everybody's opinion differs greatly on this. I just recently realized my son' s never hunted with a 30-30. Jeez, I feel like a child abuser for never putting one on his shoulder. We will be correcting that soon. Now my daughter wants to hunt. Now I need a .243. Different guns, for different reasons. My collection's a drop in the bucket compared to many here, but they all hold a special place for one reason or another, Then there's stuff that I wouldn't hesitate to trade. Everybody needs some guns for trade bait.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Iam sitting here thinking I need another one.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Need is a terrible word to use. There is no such thing as "need". The right measure is want. And I always want at least one more than I have.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
What Varmint Guy said...

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One more. Maybe two. Three is possible, but four seems excessive.

At least that's what I said four guns ago.....

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'l know it when I reach that number.

However.................... I believe I have told folks one can't have "too many " guns.

Too many is like that little goody they invented in math to get the square root of a negative number...... "i".

In other words, too many guns is ..............an imaginary number.

Geno

PS, I need an AR, maybe 2 or 3. But we can only have certain ones in this state and I'd rather spend resources elsewhere.

PPS are you sure you're not implying a limit? Have we seen other posts of yours that would assure us you're not?

Last edited by Valsdad; 03/06/18.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
All of them!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
How many golf clubs does anyone need?

What I need is a gun caddy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been thinking on this as I get closer to retirement and downsizing. Honestly, I probably have too many now (if that's possible). As noted before, I have rifle I use regularly, some weapons I shoot sporadically and some that I have yet to fire. When I get to the point and it is time to pick I have a .280 that can kill everything I'll ever hunt. But, I also have a red pad Ruger 7x57 that could do the same thing but is one of the rifles I haven't shot yet. Should I keep the 22-250 that I bought new in 1978 (first firearm I ever purchased new) or the .222 or .223? Don't know yet, but out of the 40 something weapons in the safe I could easily get by with just 4 or 5. This is a really tough question that I'm struggling with.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
"Need" has nothing to do with it right now, they're all wants!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 56 invisible), 2,923 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,486
Posts18,490,298
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.