Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Antelope hunting in a very remote area in eastern Montana, I sneaked up a hill to get a shot at a buck I had been stalking for half an hour or so. I shot the buck, ejected the spent case, and watched to make sure he was down. Satisfied that he was down for good, I went looking for my 30-06 brass, and found it lying right next to-- practically on top of-- an old 303 hull that was green with oxidation. Sometime, perhaps many years ago, another hunter had fired at something from that very spot. Still have the 303 brass.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I found a grapefruit tree out in the middle of nowhere in a swamp. It had fruit on it . I took a few home and they where sour as heck.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I discovered if you sit real quiet on the ground or a log and call, sometimes moose will come right up to you. One moose belly at 15 feet looks pretty much like all the others... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The Texas Hill Country, near Jacobs well, around 1955, my father, using a metal detector unearthed the remains of a covered wagon abandoned in the woods. We recovered a military sword that I later dated to the 1820s. Also what today we would call a machete and lots of minor metal objects. Indian attack?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Funniest Thing I ever read on here in a similar thread of finding stuff in the woods was someone on here posted they found a Mossberg 930 (?) auto shotgun wrapped around a tree!

laugh laugh laugh

Found a Marlin 336 30-30 with the stock broken off and the barrel bent laying at the bottom of a tree next to a bush blind. Brought it out and gave it to an old buddy of my dads. He carved a new butt stock out of a block of cherry and straightened the barrel on a hydraulic press. Shoots great. I couldn't believe he got it straight enough to shoot.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
When I was 12y/o I got a Murray bicycle and a Winchester Mod50 shotgun for Christmas. The day after I took the bike and shotgun and went down the gravel road by the house to go squirrel hunting.

Down the road was an old house where a moonshiner was known to live. As I passed there, was a fully naked blond girl about 15y/o sitting in a chair near the road with a FOR SALE sign around her neck!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Talk about a dandy Christmas!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad, walking a deer trail on a West Virginia mountain, had to crap. He stopped under a pine tree on a point that offered a good view.
He started kicking a cat hole.

He found that he was the second person to like that spot! frown

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
N
A couple years ago I was camping and took a dump on the side of a hill, and sooner or later someone is gonna find my leupold binoculars.

You better bring yours if you come to take mine
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was 18 and I found a Glock 17 9mm with two mags of Hydra-Shoks on a leather belt with nylon holster and Buck knife. I kept it in my car for a couple months until my friends told my Boss and he called the Police. The Officer took the gun and told me the State Police would be in contact with me and I could be facing jail time. I never heard another word about it.

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Many of the modern trail runners and bikers never see what's there. Their noses are glued to the trails.

Yes, but the paths used by walkers, joggers and bicycle riders were created decades ago by people who had first dibs on anything worth taking home. To truly search for treasures you need to go where few others have been in at least fifty years, or better yet, a hundred years.

Bill Quimby

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
not hunting but going to our cabin is now, long before it was our cabin, there's an old half track stuck in a creek. Kind of an eye opener first time you see it.

best have been hidden cabins, really hard to see, one just saw something horizontal or angled (turned out to be just a smidge of the roof line) went and investigated it, long walk due to it being on the backside of a lil lake. Nosing around, found an old receipt, had initials on it and the outhouse had guy wires and a poured concrete foundation. Lots of bear activity there. In the concrete were imprinted first names of several people. Came back to town and called a pharmacist I know, sure enough they'd built that cabin on ground they didn't own, called a squatters cabin locally.

He was amazed we'd found it, he said you can't see it from the air. Told him no, that's not how we found it, he was amazed we could get a boat that far up the river.

another we found is on a bluff above a river, this is old school. The journal in there was really cool. again just a part of the roofline peeking out. Can't imagine how many people float by it and never realize it's there.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike74
I was 18 and I found a Glock 17 9mm with two mags of Hydra-Shoks on a leather belt with nylon holster and Buck knife. I kept it in my car for a couple months until my friends told my Boss and he called the Police. The Officer took the gun and told me the State Police would be in contact with me and I could be facing jail time. I never heard another word about it.

Sounds like a cop got a free pistol.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
SandBilly,

As a retired LEO, such things make me GAG. = "Taking a firearm" is NOTHING less than STEALING.
(Being a peace officer is NOT a free pass to steal/lie/cheat/etc.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
This lava rock sits on a ridge 40 or 50 miles from any volcanic activity. It's about 6' high. I can't imagine the force needed to throw it here from anywhere that it could have possibly come from. However, I'm no geologist so maybe there's a reasonable explanation that I'm not aware of.

[Linked Image]

This tree must have had a rough childhood.

[Linked Image]

Friend of mines parents own 100 acres in the way northern peninsula of Michigan. There is a boulder in their woods that is probably 20 feet across and 15 feet high just sitting there in the ceder woods. Our guess is the glacier dropped it off.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
not hunting but going to our cabin is now, long before it was our cabin, there's an old half track stuck in a creek. Kind of an eye opener first time you see it.

best have been hidden cabins, really hard to see, one just saw something horizontal or angled (turned out to be just a smidge of the roof line) went and investigated it, long walk due to it being on the backside of a lil lake. Nosing around, found an old receipt, had initials on it and the outhouse had guy wires and a poured concrete foundation. Lots of bear activity there. In the concrete were imprinted first names of several people. Came back to town and called a pharmacist I know, sure enough they'd built that cabin on ground they didn't own, called a squatters cabin locally.

He was amazed we'd found it, he said you can't see it from the air. Told him no, that's not how we found it, he was amazed we could get a boat that far up the river.

another we found is on a bluff above a river, this is old school. The journal in there was really cool. again just a part of the roofline peeking out. Can't imagine how many people float by it and never realize it's there.

Straight lines are the Mark of mankind. It's what they look for when searching for ruins or shipwrecks.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I was sidehilling a steep mountain following elk all morning my feet were aching from the constant angle. I came across the only little flat spot I had seen all morning and stopped for a drink and to rest my feet. Low and behold above me on the tree were 4 old horseshoes on a limb, 2 of which were grown into the tree. Had obviously been there for decades.

[Linked Image]

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Mike74

Sounds like a cop got a free pistol.

That's what I've always figured too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was out deer hunting,noticed a burned out tree stump. Last fire there ,and last logging, was in the early 1900's.
Noticed a ring attached,it was stapled with a old bent wire fence post staple.
The ring had a chain attached,when I pulled it,it had an old trap attached, buried in the leaves, still set,but the spring had long since lost its "spring".
I kept it for years,but lost it in multiple moves.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I am surprised guys here haven't mentioned airplane crash sites. I've come across 2 in Texas and 1 each in AZ, NM and AK. It's been interesting researching the causes and results....

Page 6 of 15 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

425 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 257wthbylover, 58 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,824
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.