Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12704381 03/08/18
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
While visiting with my buddy today, he showed me a rifle he had just taken on trade. It was an FN Mauser with a barrel marked J.C. Higgins/Sears in 30/06. I found that to be a little odd. Would this be a re-barrel? Or is this the way the rifle would have been sold in their stores? It has a 2-7 VX-II on it. It's in nice condition. What would be a reasonable price on it? Also, the safety hits the scope when moving it upward, is there any way to alter that where it would work without hitting the scope? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks-Eddie

PS...I'm not a Mauser guy, know very little about them, but from what I have read on here the FN is a good, solid action...yes?

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
They are good actions.

My wife's Uncle had one in 270 win. and it was a shooter.

As for the safety hitting higher rings or maybe another type of safety.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Not a gun writer but what you describe is a JC Higgins model 50 or 51. These were built for Sears on FN Commercial Mauser actions with I think High Standard provided chrome lined barrels. They were available in 270 and 30-06. In top shape they will bring $550.00, but many have cracked stocks, rust and "bubba alterations" which decrease the value.

I purchased one to use the action on a custom rifle but make the mistake of shooting it and it was very accurate. The only modifications I have done to mine were to have a 2-Position swing safety installed, and replaced the trigger with a Timney. I highly recommend the trigger replacement. This rifle has an odd way mounting the trigger to the rifle. The trigger is actually supported/attached to the floorplate, not the action. When the rifle is assembled the trigger sear engages as the actions screws are tightened. Basically the wood stock is sandwiched between the floorplate and the action with the trigger attached to the floorplate. As you can see something like a loose action screw, humidity/moisture in the stock, and normal wear could compromise the fit causing a dangerous condition. In addition to that the trigger is pinned in the floor plate and this pin is the only thing that holds the assembly together and it has been known to break due to wear and rust. The Timney solves this problem.

I would purchase another in a heartbeat if I could find a good one.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I bought a couple and restocked and reblued them for gifts to two of my grandsons. Both have been accurate, reliable performers.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I was in the market for another 98, I'd pay $600 or maybe a bit more for a nice one of those. The trigger is a bit odd, but easily replaced, although I never had any problem for my use as a hunting rifle.

One attraction for me is that they're perfect for iron sight use; the comb is just right. A Wiliams WGRS or FP fits right on the bridge. Killed my biggest whitetail ever on a WV mountain with one in .30/06 using a Williams Foolproof receiver sight and a Patridge blade I cobbled from a Ted Cash ML sight. The two-position wing safety, a nuisance on a scoped rifle, can be thumbed off like cocking a hammer-gun and the thumb continues down to the right spot on the grip. Very natural.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by VaHunter
Not a gun writer but what you describe is a JC Higgins model 50 or 51. These were built for Sears on FN Commercial Mauser actions with I think High Standard provided chrome lined barrels. They were available in 270 and 30-06. In top shape they will bring $550.00, but many have cracked stocks, rust and "bubba alterations" which decrease the value.

I purchased one to use the action on a custom rifle but make the mistake of shooting it and it was very accurate. The only modifications I have done to mine were to have a 2-Position swing safety installed, and replaced the trigger with a Timney. I highly recommend the trigger replacement. This rifle has an odd way mounting the trigger to the rifle. The trigger is actually supported/attached to the floorplate, not the action. When the rifle is assembled the trigger sear engages as the actions screws are tightened. Basically the wood stock is sandwiched between the floorplate and the action with the trigger attached to the floorplate. As you can see something like a loose action screw, humidity/moisture in the stock, and normal wear could compromise the fit causing a dangerous condition. In addition to that the trigger is pinned in the floor plate and this pin is the only thing that holds the assembly together and it has been known to break due to wear and rust. The Timney solves this problem.

I would purchase another in a heartbeat if I could find a good one.

If I had it to do over again I would have kept the factory wing safety. Like Pappy348 said, it is a natural movement to swing the wing down with your thumb as you wrap your hand around the pistol grip. I have a 2x Leopold compact scope on mine and it has a small eyepiece which allows good access to the safety, which is the key to using this wing safety. This is a classic rifle that needs a slim classic small eyepiece scope, not one of the big 30mm variables. Again I should have kept the factory safety.

Note that Warn makes a set of bases specific for this rifle. When I said above that some have had "Bubba Alterations" this is one place it happens a lot, it was on mine. Amateur gunsmiths use standard mauser bases which have different hole spacings so they just drill and tap a new hole in the receiver. I think some have done this with a hand held drill. Anyway you may have to contact Warn to get the right base, I did, but it is worth the trouble.

Last edited by VaHunter; 03/09/18.
z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Warne and Talley both make the proper bases for these. Be advised, not all had the .860" rear hole spacing, some had standard FN .500" spacing. The model 50 has a plain stock, the 51 had a cheek piece and checkering.

I have one that sports a set of original JC Higgins bases and scope. They are dovetail bases sort of like Talley makes.

51 on top, 50 below.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Yes, Sears really did sell them back in the 60's and 70's. The Higgins Mauser is a commercial Belgian FN 98, so it was made in one of the best factories to ever make the 98. Metallurgy is second to none. Barrels were made by High Standard. They're chrome lined and tend to be very accurate, but you'll need to glass bed the action to get the best from them. Triggers are the weak point as described, but that's an easy fix. Use the factory stock for iron sights or drop the rifle into a high-grade synthetic for use with a scope. They really are one of the best hunting rifles available.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Got a Husqvarna in 270...it has a tang safety.. bought about 1960...

the 270 has a one in 11 twist on it..

and even tho it is a right handed action.. it has a lefty stock, with the cheek piece on the wrong side..

the Stock is an old Bishop aftermarket...

have toyed with replacing the barrel with a 220 Swift barrel for years...
but hate to break up that classic factory barrel.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Y'all are killing me! I was planning on not buying a rifle for a little while and instead was going to re-barrel one I already had. But this sounds like a special rifle. Hopefully he will sell it soon to put me out of my misery...lol.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One in 270 was the starting point for my 9.3x62. Jkob installed the Shilen #3, did the side swing safety and installed the Timney.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Ruger77Shooter
Y'all are killing me! I was planning on not buying a rifle for a little while and instead was going to re-barrel one I already had. But this sounds like a special rifle. Hopefully he will sell it soon to put me out of my misery...lol.

Honestly, if you can get it at a reasonable price you would be a mug not to.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
the Husqvarna from Sears
[Linked Image]
And the FN from Sears. I did put a Bold trigger on it.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
No pictures but I have a Model 50 in .270 that was bedded, new trigger, new recoil pad and have had it for sale for $350.00 in the local classifieds for weeks! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
No pictures but I have a Model 50 in .270 that was bedded, new trigger, new recoil pad and have had it for sale for $350.00 in the local classifieds for weeks! smile

That's about what I paid for the two that I bought, bone stock but in almost new condition, about 10 or 12 years ago.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was looking for one in 30-06 but a local guy had this one. Its in real nice shape, just hasn't shot the 150 like I want. I got it on a whim, don't use it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Dad inherited one of the special target models in .270 Win.

It's a real shooter. It will put as many as you care to shoot in one ragged hole at 100 yards.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight

Jim Knight,

If you can figure out how to get us a picture, send it to my PM before the others on the campfire, grin and get it on the classifieds here it will most like sell quickly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had one in 30/06. I bought it to get the action but like others have said, made the mistake of shooting it first. It was very accurate. I changed the trigger to a Timney and that was all it took to make a shooter out of it. I made the mistake of selling it a few years later to my brother, but might try one day to get it back.

Harry
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is my Model 50 in .375 Ruger with a 21” McGowan barrel. Other changes included a Timney trigger, Talley style bolt handle, barrel band, increased lop
I like the safety so it stayed.

The stock in the photo is the original that I reshaped a bit and added ebony trim. It’s since been restocked.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

95 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 20 invisible), 14,524 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,228
Posts18,543,984
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.