Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
1964 Super Giant.

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The average cost of food would drop dramatically if everyone cooked from scratch. Pre-consumer food prep adds a bunch to the cost of it.
That.. I cook from scratch here, period.

And grow a garden fer the love of Mike.. Learn to can - vegetables/fruit can last for years if properly canned. Have a freezer large enough to be able to buy meat in bulk; half a hog or a beef quarter at a time can save big bux..

Last edited by Redneck; 03/12/18. Reason: added.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most are way too busy to cook from scratch.

But look at your plate the next time you eat out. Portions are way too big. My lady and I always split our meal and it's more than enough. I do tip a higher % on the bill though. Someone's kid is trying to earn a living and it might be mine one day.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
The average cost of food would drop dramatically if everyone cooked from scratch. Pre-consumer food prep adds a bunch to the cost of it.

This is a funny, and very valid point. Food is really pretty cheap if you cook from scratch at home. By having alot of the work done for you, before you buy it, the quality goes down and the price goes way up.

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
yes, the supply chain can be quite long or very short. shipping water-filled lettuce from southern kali to atlanta involves a long truck trip with plenty of fuel used in the mix. so local lettuce as someone suggested makes sense. but, it's not available year round unless someone invests in, and installs a heated greenhouse system.

some of the newly emergent food delivery systems are becoming of interest. they deliver raw, but ready to prepare and cook meals. and their advertising suggests they are cost competitive. i don't know if they can compete with the likes of Aldi & Lidl or not. it might bear watching, and see how it develops.

most exurban, suburban, and urban consumers are more than one step removed from the food delivery chain. local neighborhood gardens use to be de riguour around here. the whitetail deer explosion plus working hours has pretty much put an end to that condition. i know that it's not the case in other areas of the country. effective fencing is not a cheap alternative, but might be totally necessary. so, folks stop gardening and option to choose other recreational pursuits.

haven't kept up with exact details, but food amounts on a plate aren't the big cost item? it's the delivery? so, it behooves restauranteurs to offer a lot for the money? i do not know about this, it's far above my pay grade.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Gus

Wake the f uck up Dude! It's already CHEAP.....especially to the sorry bastids that are too friggin lazy to get up off their azzes to take a job and are constantly drawing food stamps!

Why don't you ask instead how can Joe Blow who's working his azz off and paying taxes get a friggin break from all the sorry bastids he's having to support???

Even birds know not to land downwind!
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
We grilled some deer last night with green beans, corn, and corn bread. Then started talking about just how little we spent on the whole meal. It was around $5 and we both had left overs for lunch today. Figured up how much salt, pepper, garlic, propane, and little things it took. It was delicious also.
Instead of going to a fast food place for lunch @ ~$8.00 and full of grease and who knows what kinda meat it really is. I ate supper last night and lunch today for $2.50.
There are always better ways to go about food. Most are higher for convenience.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oakster

This is a funny, and very valid point. Food is really pretty cheap if you cook from scratch at home. By having alot of the work done for you, before you buy it, the quality goes down and the price goes way up.

You guys should figure in your labor. Doctors and lawyers and such can't afford to do their own cooking unless it is for a fun hobby.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 03/12/18.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

G
Gus Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Gus

Wake the f uck up Dude! It's already CHEAP.....especially to the sorry bastids that are too friggin lazy to get up off their azzes to take a job and are constantly drawing food stamps!

Why don't you ask instead how can Joe Blow who's working his azz off and paying taxes get a friggin break from all the sorry bastids he's having to support???

thank you for your input. it shows me that you care.

we've got several problems, and they'll all beginning to merge into a single issue. i grew up gardening, truck farming etc. it takes a work ethic, land, and plenty of outside inputs such as fertilizer, water, insecticides, fungicides, etc, and let's not forget markets.

markets require consumers. that's econ101 according to antelope sniper who travels with us on this site.

when gov't steps in to help the ones needing help in the urbanized world, who is he (it) really helping? wake up, you say? lol.

he's providing markets for the farmer, and income to the food middle-men. the recipients get to eat for free, or nearly so. and you and i pay for it.

but, that's a better alternative than having blood run in the streets, isn't it?

the fraud, the waste and the abuse? well, there is that too.

perhaps that's where we should begin to get a better grip on the issue?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by Oakster

You guys should figure in your labor. Doctors and lawyers and such can't afford to do their own cooking unless it is for a fun hobby.

Bowsinger

????

Perhaps doctors and lawyers could cut back a few hours of work, maybe work a 10 hr day and have a bit of time to cook? I worked four to five 10's for years and had time to cook after work on most days. Garden too during that part of the year.

After all, I hear a lot about "choices" around here. Perhaps after they get that expensive edumacation paid off they could slow down a bit?

Just a thought.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cook LARGE batches of the foods you like then portion into freezer bags.... healthy meals ready to eat in 5 or 6 minutes

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
cook LARGE batches of the foods you like then portion into freezer bags.... healthy meals ready to eat in 5 or 6 minutes

Stop it,

you're making sense here.

Not allowed! This is the 'fire after all.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I find seeds, fertilizer, and a hoe minimize my food costs, along with wild game and fish.

A pot of pinto beans, another pot of stewed potatoes, and a skillet of cornbread will feed a lot of people for a very negligible cost.

Last edited by gregintenn; 03/12/18.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Jeezus.......still waiting for a question.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Jeezus.......still waiting for a question.
What's the answer...for 100.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Food is cheap....really cheap.......after cost there is very little profit for the people who produce it....

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
A 20lb sack of rice and a pile of deer roasts can feed a family for a long time in hard times. But, food is sooooo cheap these days if you stay away from processed and shop what is cheap. Chicken and pork is really cheap right now where I am at. Only eat what you need, and stretch that food out. You'll feel better, hunt better, and live longer. Everybody and their brother has chickens right now, and can't give the eggs away fast enough too.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ringworm
I have a buddy addicted to hog hunting and has the resources to do it in stlye , frequently.
His wife however won't allow the trips if there is a freezer full of meat. So he calls me every couple months to come over and clean it out.
Plus I get free deer hearts from the local processor all season. In addition to my 10 deer and however many the wife kills. 6 chickens, 3 fig trees, two pear trees an a garden.
1.5 hours from the reservation I've been fishing 40 years and pull 10 fish limit of rainbows in 4-5 hours
But we don't eat any grains or processed foods so our Diet keeps out food bill up during the off months.

Who tha hell pays anything fer rainbows? Now crappie is a different matter.

Oh, i get it. Dog food.

Last edited by jaguartx; 03/12/18.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Whiptail

The agricultural industry inefficiently turns fossil fuel calories into food calories.
The way to keep food cheap is to keep energy prices low.

Rong. Its would be to feed those on welfare gill netted carp and buffalo and sea weed.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Much of what people think are "food costs" are non-food miscellaneous items they pick up at the superstore or supermarket. Bottled water (a pet peeve unless you have contaminated or foul-tasting tap water), soft drinks, household items ranging from light bulbs to motor oil, cleaning products, pet supplies, etc.

Other than that buy what you will eat, eat what you buy, and don't get fanatical about expiration dates. If it still looks ok, smells ok, and tastes ok, it is ok.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (1_deuce, 2500HD, 5sdad, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 26 invisible), 1,927 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,976
Posts18,499,485
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.