Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by centershot
Wondering if there is something better than the good old .243 for new shooters. With all the Creedmoor's and flavors of the month is there a better option than the .243? Rifle will be used for mule deer but mostly just to shoot targets, milk jugs, things that are entertaining to shoot. Wife has shot my .308 Featherweight and while tolerable was not fun. (May sell or trade it) Thoughts?

If you reload, I think that a matched pair of rifles, a quick ROT 223 and 6.5 Creedmoor, is the way to go, as you can match the ballistics of the 6.5 Creedmoor with the cheaper to shoot 223. I've done with with a pair of RAR-Ps, using the 77 grain Sierra BTHP and the 142 grain Sierra BTHP, and can recommend this combination without any reservations.

I like that idea a bunch. As little as the 6.5 recoils, the 223 recoils even less. As stick likes to say, spent primers are the supreme tutorial, and even a little reduction in recoil can help the spent primer count. Thanks.

My thought is that the 223, if configured in the same way as the 6.5 Creedmoor, acts as an understudy that you shoot a lot during practice and the transition from understudy rifle to primary hunting rifle is virtually seamless.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would go with a 7mm-08 in a sporter weight, not lightweight, rifle. Rifle, scoped, should be up around 8 to 8-1/2 pounds. 24" barrel moves the blast away from the shooter decreasing perceived recoil. Drop it in a youth stock if you need to shorten length of pull. Feed it 140s to 150s. Kill stuff.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
A neat light rifle for what you need would be a 6.5 Grendel in the HOWA mini with the lightweight 22 inch barrel. Rifle itself weighs less than 6 pounds, recoil is very mild and accuracy is excellent. You can get super cheap steel cased ammo from Wolf and pretty cheap factory ammo from Hornady. both a match style and a hunting style ammo. It would be hard to find a better rifle for a woman or a young shooter.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My Daughter and two Granddaughters all shoot Tikka compacts in 7-08 and love them. One of the most accurate rifles I have ever seen. They all shoot under once inch groups with whatever you put in them. I feel the compact stocks make a great difference in shooting comfort as they really fit Women and youth. My Daughter also has a Tikka 7 mag we put in a compact stock with a couple of Edwards recoil reducers. It has been my experience over the years as a gunsmith/custom stock maker that Women handle recoil better than men as they do not try to do the macho think of standing up to recoil. They just accept it what it is and let it take them where its going to. The most important issue is not the cartridge as much as proper rifle or shotgun fit.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
7mm-08 Was my choice for My Daughter and two Sons. Worked great on Pigs,Deer and Antelope as well as some Axis and other exotics.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd go with a .257 Roberts, either used Ruger or Winchester, or maybe a new Kimber Hunter. Or just re-barrel the .308. Or get a Savage Axis youth model in .243, if you must have a .243. Obviously, I'm prejudiced toward the .25s, but I have friends that I reload for who have no issues laying deer low with their .243s.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
My 100 lb granddaughter shoots full power 120 grain loads in her 6.5 Creedmoor.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by hanco
My 100 lb granddaughter shoots full power 120 grain loads in her 6.5 Creedmoor.

Yep, not that much recoil, kills like a bigger gun.

Would be my choice for anyone who could handle more than a .223.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you reload, you could always use your current .308 and download it to a level they’re comfortable with. If not you could try some of the reduced recoil ammo sold by the factories. If your current stock is too long, you could always pick up another and shorten it. This would be easier (and cheaper) than buying a new rifle. Just a thought.

Only a fool would sell an accurate .30-06
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Wondering if there is something better than the good old .243 for new shooters. With all the Creedmoor's and flavors of the month is there a better option than the .243? Rifle will be used for mule deer but mostly just to shoot targets, milk jugs, things that are entertaining to shoot. Wife has shot my .308 Featherweight and while tolerable was not fun. (May sell or trade it) Thoughts?

The .243 is a great choice. First wife, three of my kids, one grandkid, girl cousins and several friends and their kids use the .243 and 6mm Remington with great success. I have used it four times myself on deer. Some of the gals use it for elk to this day. We just used 100 grain C&C bullets though I have some 100 grain NPT's if someone wants to go for elk.

I did buy a 6.5 CM to fool with. It's recoil is pretty negligible as well.

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Arns9
If you reload, you could always use your current .308 and download it to a level they’re comfortable with. If not you could try some of the reduced recoil ammo sold by the factories. If your current stock is too long, you could always pick up another and shorten it. This would be easier (and cheaper) than buying a new rifle. Just a thought.

Yep.

I've killed deer with the 130 Horn, DRT, typically good entrance/exit wounds with lots of blood and plenty of destruction in between.

The 125 NAB is a good one, tougher than the Horn. You can load it down to around 2,800 fps and have a deadly, mild shooting .308. Then, you can crank it up to over 3,200 if needed. The 125 NAB or the 130 TTSX at 3,200-3,250 fps are serious rounds.

DF

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

I would get them a couple light weight 7X57's or 6.5 Swedes, low recoil, accurate, and both punch [kill] way above their weight class.

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight Compact in 6.5 Creedmoor. Find a load for the 100 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip and use it to hunt everything. Should come in close to 10 ft lbs of recoil.

Develop a load for the 120 grain Barnes TTSX if either ever wants to hunt elk or moose.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wife has shot my .308 Featherweight and while tolerable was not fun. (May sell or trade it) Thoughts?

Don't sell the 308 till you have her try some Remington Managed-Recoil ammo.
My wife like a 30-06 I had so I let her give it a try with that RM-R ammo.
She liked it and claimed that 30-06 for herself.

Ray
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by Arns9

Yep.

I've killed deer with the 130 Horn, DRT, typically good entrance/exit wounds with lots of blood and plenty of destruction in between.

The 125 NAB is a good one, tougher than the Horn. You can load it down to around 2,800 fps and have a deadly, mild shooting .308. Then, you can crank it up to over 3,200 if needed. The 125 NAB or the 130 TTSX at 3,200-3,250 fps are serious rounds.

DF

X2
I would at least try reduced loads and maybe a new recoil pad like a limbsaver if the 308 has a hard pad on it now.

The stock design on some rifles seem to help a lot with recoil also. My 7mm-08 Montana feels to have less recoil than a Sako 7mm-08 I had that was 2 lbs heavier. I've shot them back to back with the same ammo and had friends do the same and all agreed that the Montana felt to have less recoil. The Sako did have a hard red pad but was just over 2 lbs heavier.

That 7-08 Montana recoil is light enough with starting loads in 120's that my 65lb 8 year old son shoots it without complaints about recoil. I do let him wear a shooting vest that has a shoulder pad when we shoot in warm weather. He will be wearing a coat when hunting anyway,and it's much better than a T shirt that many wear shooting in warm weather.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The 300 Savage is a sweetheart to shoot. However, I'd keep the 243 and keep shooting it.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

The .243 is a great choice. First wife, three of my kids, one grandkid, girl cousins and several friends and their kids use the .243 and 6mm Remington with great success. I have used it four times myself on deer. Some of the gals use it for elk to this day. We just used 100 grain C&C bullets though I have some 100 grain NPT's if someone wants to go for elk.

The thing about a .243 as a starter, some get stuck and don't want to experience other rounds as adults. I've known a few men like that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Why reinvent the wheel....

243, or 260 Rem....

243... 55 to 105 grain bullets in the standard 1 in 10 twist..

260 Rem..... 85 to 147 grain bullets in the standard 1 in 8 twist....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by StrayDog
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

The thing about a .243 as a starter, some get stuck and don't want to experience other rounds as adults. I've known a few men like that.

I have known a couple of gals. None of the boys stayed with the .243 for elk. They use '06's or .308's for the most part.

That said, my favorite girl cousin and one of her friends still use 6mm's for elk. Very well I might add.mIt may say something about their lack of need to prove much.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
The 300 Savage is a sweetheart to shoot. However, I'd keep the 243 and keep shooting it.

A reloader can make a .308 shoot like a .300 Savage... smile

DF

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

495 members (06hunter59, 16penny, 16gage, 160user, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 54 invisible), 2,714 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,624
Posts18,492,818
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.