Print Thread
Hop To
vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hello everyone, this is Bobbie....a very smart German wirehair Pointer

[Linked Image]

It has been a hard and cold, snowy, windy, miserable day and as she was looking out the basement window she said she had an idea!

[Linked Image]

Like I said.....she is a very smart dog..... She said I should teach her to shoot. I was quite relieved that she didn't want to discuss using Radon gas as a fissionable material as it's non radio active and could solve the world's energy problem.....(she's not THAT smart) When she starts that stuff I put her behind bars a while.....

[Linked Image]

She told me that because I was getting older and wasn't hitting all the pheasants she points, that if I taught her to shoot that she could do that too. All I need to do was to mount a gun on her back and rig it with a tail operated trigger. Then when she flushed a bird she could shoot it with a wag of her tail and, yes, retrieve it too.

The question for mule deer (or anyone else here) is.....what gauge should I use

Last edited by vapodog; 03/16/18.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Will it have a bump stock?

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rinkydink
Will it have a bump stock?

No but it will likely have a remote controlled safety button actuated through the training collar.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

Be kind to me, dear master.
For my time with you is short.
Revel in my unconditional love-
for it is stronger than life and deeper than death.
From me you will learn loyalty,
From you I will learn kindness.

Always,
Your faithful dog

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Thinking a youth model semi-auto .410 or a 20 gauge. Lighter, and the semi-auto action will help mitigate recoil, as well as setting her up for a follow-up shot. May want to start her with a single shot, or just single load the semi until she gets used to it.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Ask "pointer" what kind of shotgun he uses, if it works for him it'll work for her.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rat Rod Mac

Always,
Your faithful dog

I've said "good bye" to two very fine Labradors in the last fifteen years.....and this quote says it as well as can be said.....thank you RAT ROD MAC for that

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was just informed that the Navy actually trains dolphins to do precisely this.....so maybe I need advice from someone in the Navy..

Are we having fun yet?.....LOL

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Your friends may turn and walk away, but your dog will always remain by your side. There is nothing better than a good dog.

Here's one you guys may like,,, if your wife is always nagging at you because she says you show more affection towards the dog than her tell her you will show her why this is so. Take both her and the dog out into the garage, open up the trunk of the car and put them both in it. Close the trunk lid. Come back four hours later, open up the trunk and see which one is shaking it's tail and glad to see you. RRM

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog

Always,
Your faithful dog

I've said "good bye" to two very fine Labradors in the last fifteen years.....and this quote says it as well as can be said.....thank you RAT ROD MAC for that

I'm trying to get my wife to understand...the dog does what dogs do, in our case he gets in the wastebaskets and grabs any tissue paper he hand find and shreds it into millions of pieces, which I do not understand...yet, I understand. He raises all kinds of Cain when he hears noises, which I DO understand----that's just what he does. His life will be short and mine will be long, and I do not want to live a long life regretting the way I treated a dog who loved me intensely and unconditionally.

I'm still grappling with humans.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Vapodog.....she is a very nice (and intelligent) looking GWP. However, I would advise against a trigger actuated by a tail wag (unless a single shot - as recommended already) my GWP’s would have killed and/or maimed way to much as their tails were non-stop when on birds (save for the point).....if she is that smart - and she looks it! - you’ll be able to explain to her that after you miss she is more than welcome to down the bird by a sound activated trigger so when she moans in disgust the firearm will discharge. I know my GWPs would have taken truckloads of grouse that I missed over the years and I swear every time I missed I heard them groan😄

Seriously nice dog!!

PennDog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by vapodog
I was just informed that the Navy actually trains dolphins to do precisely this.....so maybe I need advice from someone in the Navy..

Are we having fun yet?.....LOL

I want to see dolphins pheasant hunt. wink

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I say 20 gauge. As long as Bobbie can pass her hunter safety course.

Circles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Ask "pointer" what kind of shotgun he uses, if it works for him it'll work for her.
She'd outshoot me, no doubt about it!!

vapo- Handsome dog!! I'm a fan of the 'ugly' breeds. Mine likes to celebrate after a good day of training...

[Linked Image]Untitled by Tyler Staggs, on Flickr

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sounds like a Shaggy Dog story to me......

vapodog Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by reivertom
Sounds like a Shaggy Dog story to me......

I called Bobbie to the monitor and told her to read it....she simply raised a paw to wave....but se didn't use all her toes in so doing.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G

Always,
Your faithful dog

This is so very true. I lost my little girl Daisy at just shy of 13 on 12/27 of this past year. I have had at least one GSP for 40 years. The house is empty and lonely without a dog. Relief is in the cards witha started pup coming the end of April. I have been in this house since 05 and she is the 5th friend I've said goodbye to.

Whatever gauge you decide on make sure she has hearing protection.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1badf350, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 1OntarioJim, 53 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,360
Posts18,506,334
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.