Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Honduras is quite the "backwater" . . .

[Linked Image]

. . .So is Tunisia, but there ain't any water! grin

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Honduras is quite the "backwater" . . .

[Linked Image]

It didnt look that bad from the air.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Leesville, Louisiana....Ft. Polk!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Both on the Kintyre Peninsula, Scotland.

Heck anyone can drive there as long as you don't mind a sixty mile drive up and drive back on a two lane road but after sleeping in a tent in the rain at the Kennacraig ferry landing I climb on the bicycle and pedal towards Clachan. No town apparent from the road, just a gas station and little store. Shoulda been BFE, or at least about as BFE as Scotland can reasonably get, WOULDA been BFE fifty years ago in my youth.

But this is the age of the innernet and cable. The young guy behind the counter tells me that, thanks to the 'net he had become a huge NFL fan, was flying to Vegas next year to watch a game. Small world ennit?

Ten miles down the road, Killean (again no town visible) and a ruined chapel, 800 years old, roof all fallen in except for the crypt, sealed with an iron grate. Over the entrance carved in stone "Here Lie the Bones of the Largies." and inside a number of armored knight grave effigies, some graves despoiled. It was in a beautiful spot on the shore with a view of the Isle of Gigha, shoulda been tourist attraction. But a real creepy vibe. I'll bet that place could tell some stories, not sure I'd want to hear 'em all eek

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Point Hope, AK. You'd have to see it to believe it.

Ed

I haven't had the privilege of Point Hope, but I have done Mountain Village, St. Mary's, Holy Cross, King Salmon, Nek Nek, Bethel (which is an improvement over many), Chicken, and various others.

I'd have to think about that. I've been to several of those backwaters. Hughes has to be in the top 3. I actually enjoyed Holy Cross, King Salmon/Nuknuk and Barter Island. Most people I know would rather be in Pt. Hope than Pt. Lay or Nuiqsut.

Out here in Aleutian Hell, False Pass and Nelson Lagoon are both pretty backwater. Cold Bay sucks too, but they do have those big-ast, paved, crossing runways that can handle a space shuttle allowing a direct all-weather flight to skANC. Further out, Nikolski.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Sharpsman

I've heard it said, if Louisiana needed an enema, they would insert the nozzle right there...

I'm sure you're not the only one with that opinion... grin

It's 50 miles from my house.

DF

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

I've heard it said, if Louisiana needed an enema, they would insert the nozzle right there...

DF

DF

That's not quite right! The enema should be inserted in Baton Rouge at the state legislature!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by irfubar
The Salton sea is truly a weird backwater place.

[Linked Image]

drought

[Linked Image]

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

DF

I've been to Leesville. My late cousin was a a school principle and counsel member in New Llano. There are a lot worse places on the planet.

Carpe' Scrotum
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

DF

That's not quite right! The enema should be inserted in Baton Rouge at the state legislature!!

laugh

Now, that's a hard one to refute...

May need two enema bags, probably more... grin

DF

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
East of Alexandria, LA heading towards Natchez, MS are several places that would have made good locations for the movie Deliverance

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Future City, Illinois, just outside of Cairo.

Passed though a number of times on the way to goose hunting, never spent time there. All black population, extremely poor. Their homes are made from combinations of old barn siding and hammered tin cans. Drove through one time when there was a funeral procession: the casket was made of old plywood, etc.

A very ironic name, and quite depressing.

"The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubt" Bertrand Russell

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 308ragincajun
East of Alexandria, LA heading towards Natchez, MS are several places that would have made good locations for the movie Deliverance

We have some "special" area in LA. If you get too far from the blacktop, be careful. When you run out of gravel and hit dirt, you done gone too far... shocked

Years ago, I went with some other young folks, leaving Lafayette we went to Henderson, then down the Achafalaya River levee around 10 miles. Went to a local bar...

I was glad to get out of there,,, Those "river rats" can be a rough bunch.

Geneticists seek out isolated areas to study recessive genes. We have some pretty tightly bred native groups that are of interest to genetic scientists.

I guess it's OK to pick up a date at a family reunion. They seem to think so.

And that doesn't happen over night, it takes years, generations...

Over the years, I've seen Darwinism in reverse. There'll be a batch of kids, maybe one or two goes to school, leaves the nest. The remaining ones keep the home fires burning. After a few generations of "negative selection", strange things start to happen...

DF

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by KFWA
Originally Posted by irfubar
The Salton sea is truly a weird backwater place.

[Linked Image]

drought

[Linked Image]

I know the Salton Sea area, it's the real life version of "The Hills Have Eyes". Don't eat the fish out of there. They're toxic, full of selenium.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Hyde County N.C. not a traffic light in the entire county , the only jobs are guard at the prison or guide the goose hunters around Lake Mattamuskeet. Not a grocery store in the county have to ride 40 miles one way to Belhaven

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Couple of places in Baja Mexico fishing somewhere in the La Paz region.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

North Georgia back in 1971 and 1972....

WHERE THEY FILMED Deliverance... and when they WERE filming it....

All of the background people in the movie, were actually locals and they didn't
have to really do the make up etc routine on them....there were plenty of local people
just like they portrayed them in the movie......

other spot is where I live now......wasn't 23 years ago when I moved here...

but the drug use in our society, the welfare programs, legalizing dope etc..
its becoming like the Oregon version of Deliverance...2018 style.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

We have some "special" area in LA. If you get too far from the blacktop, be careful. When you run out of gravel and hit dirt, you done gone too far... shocked

Years ago, I went with some other young folks, leaving Lafayette we went to Henderson, then down the Achafalaya River levee around 10 miles. Went to a local bar...

I was glad to get out of there,,, Those "river rats" can be a rough bunch.

Geneticists seek out isolated areas to study recessive genes. We have some pretty tightly bred native groups that are of interest to genetic scientists.

I guess it's OK to pick up a date at a family reunion. They seem to think so.

And that doesn't happen over night, it takes years, generations...

Over the years, I've seen Darwinism in reverse. There'll be a batch of kids, maybe one or two goes to school, leaves the nest. The remaining ones keep the home fires burning. After a few generations of "negative selection", strange things start to happen...

DF

Must have been Red's Levee Bar, near Bayou Benoit

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Vidor, Tx & Jasper, Tx

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
There WAS a little town in Illinois, about seven miles from Hannibal MO, on US 36, that is now gone from the '93 flood. There was nothing there except a little motel, where some of us competitors would stay (for CHEAP) during the USPSA/IPSC Nationals. You had to go to Quincy or Hannibal to get something to eat, and the TVs were still black/white. It was a cheap place to stay, with a short drive to PASA Park, so it met our needs well enough (A roof over the head, little road noise) but it was about as backwards a place as I've ever been, excluding the Sioux Reservations in SD. I can't even recall the name of the place, but the big flood of '93 finished it off.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Page 17 of 18 1 2 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1lessdog, 12344mag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 62 invisible), 14,488 guests, and 1,054 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,166
Posts18,542,939
Members74,058
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.