Print Thread
Hop To
#12737086 03/21/18
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I’m here for a week with my wife and 2yr old daughter. We’re visiting family but they don’t have much, if anything planned.... so what’s there to do around here?

Will be heading to cabelas tomorrow

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
4 hours to the outer banks.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Asheboro zoo, about an hour from Raleigh, your kid would probably like that. Wilmington is two hours, see the coast and Fort Fisher Aquarium.

ETA don't do either of those things on the weekend.

Last edited by InternetGuru; 03/21/18.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Take your daughter to Pullen Park near NC State. It has a nicely restored, large wooden carousel and kids' train ride. Also there is a natural history museum downtown as well as the state arboretum ( Raulston?) A museum of art is near the arboretum.

Last edited by RJC58; 03/22/18.
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Got to be some clubs you and wife can go to!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
History museum in downtown isn't bad. They have a good display of Carbine Williams shop and stuff. As InternetGuru said, hit the zoo down in Asheboro. Well worth the time but plan on doing a lot of walking. Take off and head to Topsail Island down at the coast.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Go by the old capital building to see the confederate statues before they are removed. Check and see if the Hurricanes are in town and go to a hockey match Durham is 15 miles away go see Duke Chapel

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Thanks for the suggestions- we will definitely go by Pullen Park and I’ll push for Asheboro zoo.

I’d love to make it to the coast- anything specific to do/see there?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Jimmy V's for dinner

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
USS North Carolina battleship in Wilmington just hop on I40 two hours east Front St. Wilm. has some good places to eat and local beer I f you head east on hiw 70 you got Tryon Palace in New Bern, stop in Goldsboro for barbque at Wilburs Morehead City and Atlantic Beach You got Fort Macon State Park and Sanatary Seafood For clam chowder and shrimp.

there is no man more free than he who has nothing left to lose --unknown--
" If it bleeds we can kill it" Conan The Barbarian
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Top notch museum of art and surrounding grounds. Museum of science will be enjoyed by all. There is a Bass Pro Shop in addition to Cabelas. About 2 hours East in rural NC there is Sylvan Heights bird park. Pretty amazing place with some very rare birds: http://shwpark.com/

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Went to Pullen Park today, then on the way home stopped by the farmers market. Looking forward to tomorrow.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by robertham1; 03/22/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by robertham1

I’d love to make it to the coast- anything specific to do/see there?

Fort Macon

Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores

Mike

Always talk to the old guys , they know stuff.

Jerry Miculek
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

With that little one you may want to check out the children's museum downtown http://www.marbleskidsmuseum.org/ Agree with the Asheboro Zoo.

If you like college Baseball, NC State has games Friday and Saturday against GT. Currently ranked top 10.

If you're looking for a good NC breakfast, head over to Angies in Garner... very southern, very friendl, inexpensive... but don;t try it on a Saturday as you will have to wait in line. Its not that far from Cabelas.

Don

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Should be warm enough to go to Beaufort and grab a boat ride to Shack or Sand Dollar Island if you don’t mind the 3.5 hour drive east. Black Beard was there and there’s a museum. The Fairgrounds have a big flea market on weekends and a few weekdays. Think the Dixie Deer Classic is over now. I left Raleigh a few years ago now. Spent a decade there and kind of got adopted. Most game seasons are closed. Marbles is good for kids and I always liked it to. Cafe Luna across the square was where my Wife and I had our reception. Probably to early for JC Raulstons Arboretum. There is a Field and Stream, 2 Gander Mountains,Bass Pro and Cabelas all within 15-20 minutes. I actually preferred Fieldsnd Stream but Bass Pro was decent. I think Flounder Gigging is open and it’s still cold enough the algae should be clear and good visibility. Think you can find someone to take you for a few hundred. Where GM/Bass Pro is most hoke about but Cary is an eye opener for growth and is full of new mini malls and restaurants. A few minutes further and your in RTP and Field and Stream. If your there you might as well go to Durham and see the Bulls baseball stadium. That happens to be next to Tobacco Road which has Tyler’s Tap Room. It’s right near a home ground Burger place. A bunch of Breweries are there. If you do go to Cary a friend is an Investor in Fort Night. Great English Ales hand pumped without C02. There really is a lot packed into a small area. Durham has an Art Walk in Saturday’s next to the Farmers Market. Cricket Forge is open for it. My friend Neal owns it and is a super great guy. If you don’t mind a drive west you can go to the Biltmore and Asheville. Like LR shooting there are always matches. Some record holders and builders right around Raleigh. There are a few 1k+ yard ranges.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Wear your seatbelt in North Carolina!

Last time I went I did an all day run to get out to the ocean. I had been driving for hours and wearing my seatbelt like a good boy. But I started getting all cramped up because it limited my movement so I unhitched it.

I was creeping through some little town about 30 miles an hour way out close to the coast and drove past a NC State cop parked in a shopping center on the side of the street. He chased me down,..gave me a ticket,.....$186.00.

I've been vacationing in North Carolina for 40 years,....spent several thousand dollars in that state.

Never again.

That $186 ticket contained the last dime they'll ever get from me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Biscuits and Gravy anywhere and Bojangles. I don’t even like fast food but BoJos is good stuff.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (219DW, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,662 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,944
Posts18,498,934
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.