Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
And yes, Kroil does some amazing schit.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't run any fuel through any of my small engines that doesn't have Sta-Bil. I don't drain them, I don't run them dry. I don't do any of that schit.

They sit in a shed all winter and come spring they all fire right up. The only small engine I ever spot check is my generator. It's a four-stroke.

Travis

It sounds like you’re using ethanol free.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I know our Holiday sells that and it's all fine and dandy but that's not what I use all the time. They've sat all winter with ethanol in them.

But never without Sta-Bil.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Maybe Sta-bil changed their formulation. I used the red stuff back when the ethanol mandates hit pump gas and it was schidt. Ultimately, I switched to Star Tron, which was infinitely better. Let me know in the Spring.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Haven't read all 42 replies but ALL small engines need 3 things.
1) Premium gas (no ethanol)
2 Good grade oil (I use synthetic)
3 Sea Foam

Also, they need the carb jets opened up a tad if they don't start easy.
Mufflers need to be clean (see synthetic oil)

Have an Echo top handle and it starts and runs like I expect it to.
Had to open the main jet.a tad.

YMMV

Dave
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by shootem
Gotta have a new saw. Tried fixing the Poulan today for the last time. If I were Catholic I'd have to go to confession. Pitiful poor excuse for a tool. Also worked on the Craftsman for the last time last week. Both are headed to the scrap pile. But anyway, want to stay in the $400 and under price with a 20" bar and the reviews I'm reading go to Echo and Husqvarna. Use will be firewood, tree cutting and clearing saplings and such. Anything I need to stay away from or snuggle up to?? Better choices I missed?? TIA

I have never owned or used an Echo saw, but Stihl & Husky are both good saws, and either make should serve you well for many years. Having said that, and for what you want to do, I second High_Noon's specific recommendation of a Stihl MS261. New, it's ~$150 more than you want to spend but worth it. A Pro model, it's lighter and also better built, IMHO. When (if?) my old Stihl Farm Boss MS290 dies I'll be looking for a 261.

Mike

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by tomk
Poulan also drove me to be a Husky convert...no regrets...

and a good dealer...

The trick I have found with Husqvarna is to use higher octane 98 fuel as lower 91 gives starting problems, I find that the same applies to my four stroke Honda lawnmower.

And if you need to work on them there are any number of Youtube posts about servicing and repair.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
90 octane or higher along with Sta-bil will leave any two-stroke running at 100% for a long, long, long time.
Travis

Better yet, find a local source of ethanol free gas, and pay the extra few bucks for that. Then, add a splash of Seafoam.

I have a few 2 stroke engines that literally get fired up only once every year or two, and they usually start right up after a pull or two.

The DIPCHIT ADD, after a morning of drinking:

You despair, repeatedly, constantly! daily basis?
A despair ninny.
Sack up, despire ninny.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have a CS400 Echo saw, runs great, no issues. When I wore out the chain that came on it, I replaced it with an Oregon chain and it cuts much better. And the warranty!

I bought and used an Echo weed eater for 18 years, can't beat that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I prefer Husky,
Stihl, Dolmar, Shindiawa and Echo all make good saws.

Spend some happy money, buy a pro saw.
You will be happy after the purchase.

Stihl has become the "better" saw. You know, like my saws better, I am better..................

The loggers that I know who are open-minded and not brand conscious, have flipped between
Husky, Jonsered, Stihl, and Dolmar. Depending on shops opening, closing, or even the local to the
Job shop. The best saw had been in a state of flux for years, as companies change and models change.
The new EPA strato engines, and the electronic carburetor have caused all the makers problems.
It seem as if most have things figured out, and are making good product again.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you have a dealer that sell two of more of the top brands, to there.
Despite what fanboys will tell you, a brand never has the best saw, from 20 to 120cc,
in both pro and consumer lines. Echo, for instance has been known for years as having the
best top mount trim saws. They don't have a big presence in the 50cc and up lines.

A good friend just bought Stihl 291, he loves it.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My dad has ran Echo's for years and loves them. He cuts more than some but less than others.

Travis

The kids echo Travis' comment about me. Good equipment, not just chainsaws. So do the jokers from the tree service I employ from time to time.

Last edited by DigitalDan; 03/25/18.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have 3 Echos, they run great and solid built construction...take care of them, they take care of you.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by shootem
Gotta have a new saw. Tried fixing the Poulan today for the last time. If I were Catholic I'd have to go to confession. Pitiful poor excuse for a tool. Also worked on the Craftsman for the last time last week. Both are headed to the scrap pile. But anyway, want to stay in the $400 and under price with a 20" bar and the reviews I'm reading go to Echo and Husqvarna. Use will be firewood, tree cutting and clearing saplings and such. Anything I need to stay away from or snuggle up to?? Better choices I missed?? TIA

I have owned 2 echo saws and never had one iota of a problem with either one.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My daughter bought me an ECHO CS400 back in 2012. 6 years later, it's still a workhorse. I always take it when I go 4X4 riding in the National Forest, and use it to clear downed trees from the trails. My son has it now out at his property north of town, and has cut down a truck load of trees with it. I put on a new Oregon chain recently, and had it tuned up. It performs as well as any brand.
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by kingston
Maybe Sta-bil changed their formulation. I used the red stuff back when the ethanol mandates hit pump gas and it was schidt. Ultimately, I switched to Star Tron, which was infinitely better. Let me know in the Spring.

I'll make a vid.

Travis

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I have a 20" Stihl and a 14" Echo. Both are great. The smaller Echo gets used a LOT more, but when I need a bigger saw I have one. I'd highly recommend either brand.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
for a light trimming saw we buy echo. Seems like they last ok. Over the last 10-15 years I've burned through one and on the second.

Other stuff has been Stihl. Over the last 35 years I'm on my second on bigger saws.

We have an echo pole saw, it doesn't get used that much, so its fine so far.

I need a BIG saw for Alaska in the next few years. Not sure what I'm doing there, they have local Stihl dealer and parts... plus parts are online. Since we have same here, Stihl, and already have smaller stihl up there I think thats answered.

RE pre mix, not a big deal if you have non ethanol fuel and buy the synthetic oil mix. Its pretty simple then and much cheaper when you burn through 5 gallons of mix in a weekend....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Poulan = Junk

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
I'm most familiar with Stihl and I like them but they're heavy. Recently we picked up a Husky 346XP at work that feels much lighter with decent power. It's become everyone's favorite.

I found a Husky 353 which is a twin to the 346 at the pawn shop. Love it!

We all know advertising works, we just don’t think it works on US!
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,720
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.