Print Thread
Hop To
B
bryguy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So i found this out this weekend while messing with a Remington 700 5r in 308..........powder charge was 45.5 grains of varget, with a cci 200 large rifle primer, lapua brass and the bullets were a 155 scenar, 165 Berger VLD and 180 nosler ballistic tip. Groups for all loads were acceptable, with the 180 nosler being the worst right at 1 inch(5shot group). I have seen it a few times with bullets of similar weigt, but not sure I have ever seen it with this wide of a range. Thoughts or did I just lucky and find a unicorn?

Last edited by bryguy; 03/28/18.
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I had an 06 that shot 150, 165, 180 and 200 grain bullets to the same point of aim at 100 yards.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
bryguy,

In my experience that happens more frequently as the barrel contour gets thicker, and with relatively mild cartridges for their caliber.

But it also happens frequently with New Ultra Light Arms rifles, apparently because Melvin's sophisticated synthetic stocks dampen barrel vibrations considearbly. The very first of his rifles I had an opportunity to test was a Model 28 in .300 Winchester Magnum, weighing 7 pounds scoped with a 24-inch, #2 contour Douglas barrel. It would do the same thing you're describing with 150-165 grain bullets, and in fact I once fired a 9-shot group with 165's, 180's and 200's that all went into an inch.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve tried different brand bullets of the same weight. Didn’t change much at a hundred at all.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I think we are seeing this more and more with modern rifles, and I believe a lot has to do with the bedding. It also doesn't hurt that CNC machining produces receivers that are pretty much blueprinted right out of the box. Many of the new inexpensive Savages and Ruger American Rifles, T/C Compasses, Bergaras, etc., shoot consistently with a variety of loads. Back in the "good old days" we used to hope and pray we would find just one load that a particular rifle "likes" with a group of maybe 1.5 inches. Under one inch was something to write home about. I well remember laddering loads to find that one primer and powder charge combo that would keep my chosen bullets in a tight little group. We also spent hours tinkering with floating/bedding barrels to achieve consistent harmonics in barrel vibration. My friends and I really liked Remingtons because the cylindrical receiver and simple lug made it easier to tune up.

I have a Remington Custom Shop Model 7 with a laminated Mannlicher stock. I'm not sure what they did to it, but it shoots several brands of factory ammo into the same 1.5" group. It'll stay under an inch if I stick with a single load. It's a 7mm-08, so there isn't much variation in bullet weight.

So if that rifle was built in the 20th century, it well may be a unicorn, or maybe someone has already tuned it to peak performance.

IC B2

B
bryguy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I did pull it out of the old remington B&C stock that it came with and dropped it in a Magpul hunter stock and glass bedded the recoil lug and tang of the receiver. I purchased the gun used, and I have no clue what the previous owner had done to the gun. All I know is that is will flat out shoot. My son took it and went 10 for 10 at 500 yds off an iffy rest with a 10mph crosswind on a 10 inch steel gong......I know that aint all that great to the sooper dooper snipers we have here, but it was an impressive feat given what he was working with and that hes only 15....so yeah i was impressed.........

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You also have a 15 year old son who really knows how to shoot! I would be more proud of that than the rifle....just sayin'...

B
bryguy Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by bearbacker
You also have a 15 year old son who really knows how to shoot! I would be more proud of that than the rifle....just sayin'...

that boy probably shoots more rounds of center-fire, 22lr and pistol then many of the armchair jockeys do here..........its how we spend our Saturdays........and you are correct, I am proud of him, for so much more then his ability to shoot a rifle or pistol..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When we came to Alaska in 1965 my Dad had a Remington made Springfield 03A3 ought six for me to use. He restocked it, crowned the barrel at 22" and fixed the bolt so I could use and old Weaver with a post reticle in 2.5-5 power and had to remove the turret cover to change the power setting. I think I left it on 4 power. I used 150 grain factory Silvertips on the caribou and 220 grain factory Silvertips on the moose and never changed the zero on the scope when switching loads. I was a head of my time and did not know it!

I never gave it much thought and the old rifle and loads killed well. Shots were usually under 100 yards and there were lots of moose and caribou then.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
In my experience any rifle that does what the OP described is kinda special. The one I have that will do it consistently is my .17 Rem. Everything to the same POA regardless of weight or brand.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Take that gun with you to the grave.
I have two who perform similar to OPs report.
Both R77s. One in 270 and one rebarreled in 284 Win.
Probably only room for the 270 with me in a casket.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
bryguy,

In my experience that happens more frequently as the barrel contour gets thicker, and with relatively mild cartridges for their caliber.

But it also happens frequently with New Ultra Light Arms rifles, apparently because Melvin's sophisticated synthetic stocks dampen barrel vibrations considearbly. The very first of his rifles I had an opportunity to test was a Model 28 in .300 Winchester Magnum, weighing 7 pounds scoped with a 24-inch, #2 contour Douglas barrel. It would do the same thing you're describing with 150-165 grain bullets, and in fact I once fired a 9-shot group with 165's, 180's and 200's that all went into an inch.

I've had several of Mr. Forbes rifles and agreed that the stock and all the quality parts put together well factor in.....I think the full length bedding is the biggest factor related to the stock. I don't do extended load work up, I usually try a known load and if it's good I'm good. I do often try different bullets and of course change the charge weight to match the bullet. I have to be careful doing this with Mr. Forbes rifles at 100 yards because as often as not everything is in one group...you have to mark the first group or it's all one.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (17CalFan, 1_deuce, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 66 invisible), 18,840 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,987
Posts18,540,120
Members74,053
Most Online21,066
1 hour ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.