Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I had an Uncle on Iwo Jima, another on Guadalcanal, and my dad was on Okinawa. They all passed around twenty years back, the Greatest Generation.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
J
May God bless and be with them, Birdy.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
My Uncle Emil was on Guadalcanal. He would never talk about it.

A friend, now passed - Pete Dreith - was on the first wave onto Iwo Jima. 12 men of his (whatever - battalion? - of many!) walked off that beach on their own, eventually. He wasn't one of them.

The way he put it - "I stuck my finger out of my foxhole to check the wind, and the f'kin' Japs aimed a morter at it!"

He was 18 or 19, and suffered his whole life from his wounds.

Last edited by las; 04/01/18.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had an uncle who was navy. He piloted a landing craft at Tarawa. He got a purple heart and a star of some color from it but he wouldn't talk about it at all. His son only found out about the star from talking to one of his dad's buddies.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

My grandfathers brother, was the youngest 2 Star General in the Marine Corps when Pearl Harbor was attacked by the Japanese. He was sent to the Pacific as Chief of Staff Deputy Commander Pacfic Fleet and later commanded the 3rd Marine Division on Iwo Jema.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Late Father lied about his age(just 15 yrs old) joined the
Marine Corps was in Guadalcanal all the way to Iwo Jima
I have all his M.C. stuff still His Platoon pics in the Phlliphines
He looked like a baby way back then!
He would never talk about his time in WWII
Lost him in 1977 when I was still in H.S.

Molan Labe
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A young OSI lieutenant in the last OSI unit I served before retirement had a photo on his wall of a small group of Marines posed in front of the flag on Suribachi. I asked him about it. He said while the Marines were raising the flag, they were protected by a small squad forming a perimeter at the top of the mount. After the flag was raised, they posed quickly for a group shot. His dad was a young officer holding a carbine.

We got to talking and he said he was gathering up a host of stuff to give to his dad on his birthday, and trying to find a good 1911A1 to go along with the carbine he'd bought. I had a good Remington Rand that I offered to sell him at my purchase price. He said he'd get back to me.

The next day, he told me he'd talked to his dad and asked him what kind of .45 he'd carried. The response was, "Remington." The deal was struck. So, I know that my last 1911A1 went to an Iwo veteran for his birthday. I kind of wish I'd have asked the Louie to sell it back to me after his father departed since it wasn't a family heirloom, but what the heck.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (BALLISTIK, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,483 guests, and 949 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,222
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.