Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
Holly crap I just looked under my mattress and I have a Ruger lcr 22 mag though brand new got it on sale for 255$ brand new can I convert it to a 22 or?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for the Ruger LCRx, with Ruger Bearcat second choice.

Last edited by Coyote_Hunter; 04/02/18.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Trap4fur
Holly crap I just looked under my mattress and I have a Ruger lcr 22 mag though brand new got it on sale for 255$ brand new can I convert it to a 22 or?

Just buy a brick of 22 mags and rock on. Check the other side of the mattress, you might have a brick of ammo there.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Trade it in on a 22lr version.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Just curious....what’s all this stuff about trapline pistols getting “used hard” and “taking a beating “? I’ve been trapping since I was 11 years old (I’ll be 70 in June) and for most of those years have carried a .22 revolver (usually a single action Ruger) to shoot trapped animals with. I don’t see where the gun took any more beating or got used harder than normal. It’s not like I drive trap stakes, or dig dirt holes with it. I don’t beat stuff over the head with it. I take it out, shoot something, and put it back in the holster (or in the case of my little 317 Smith, back in the chest pocket of my bibs.) Same way coon hunting. If it gets wet somehow (been known to happen) I clean it up when I’m done, like anything else. So what is it some of you fellas do with your trapping pistol that’s so rough on it?

Mathew 22: 37-39

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Salt marsh mostly. Seems once a week I'd take a dunking. Usually find a spot or two of surface rust within hours. Gumbo mud in a tidal marsh is always changing. Good to walk on today, over your ass tomorrow.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I read this thread when the first couple posts initially appeared. The first thing I also thought of, was my Ruger Mk III, and Ruger Single Six.

But soon after I thought of the little Walther P22 I bought when they first came out.
I could shoot that little pistol with more ease and accuracy offhand plinking - than I could my Rugers.
That little pistol slipped comfortably into a pants pocket or jacket pocket, and went just about anywhere I went.

It was tough, dependable, fun, and would be well suited for the close work that the OP specified.

I had two Walther P22's one short barrel model, which a friends sister wanted and I sold to her
because I saw a longer barreled Target Model which thought I wanted - but also later sold.

I always wanted to replace my standard P22 but always bought something else instead.

NOW, I want to replace my old P22 with the:

<> <> https://www.cdnnsports.com/walther-ppq-22lr.html?__SID=U#.WsLuleSWyM8 <> <>

- - - WALTHER PPQ M2 22LR, which are Walther's top-of-the-line pistols, with an excellent + trigger!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it tweren't for the need to shoot rim fire Shorts the little Ruger SR22 wouldn't be a bad choice. I know, not a revolver but it's light, compact, poly frame and alloy upper isn't gonna rust, accurate, reliable, easy to safe carry and doesn't cost much if you shop around a little.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by cra1948
Just curious....what’s all this stuff about trapline pistols getting “used hard” and “taking a beating “? I’ve been trapping since I was 11 years old (I’ll be 70 in June) and for most of those years have carried a .22 revolver (usually a single action Ruger) to shoot trapped animals with. I don’t see where the gun took any more beating or got used harder than normal. It’s not like I drive trap stakes, or dig dirt holes with it. I don’t beat stuff over the head with it. I take it out, shoot something, and put it back in the holster (or in the case of my little 317 Smith, back in the chest pocket of my bibs.) Same way coon hunting. If it gets wet somehow (been known to happen) I clean it up when I’m done, like anything else. So what is it some of you fellas do with your trapping pistol that’s so rough on it?

I'm guessing you ain't trapped the high tide line, out of a boat.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My first though was a Bearcat with adj. sights.. May find other uses for it later..

Molon Labe
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Hi guys I own a couple pistols mainly for concealed carrying and in the house I am a trapper and I want a pistol to carry on the line and dispatch animals with it. It is going to take a hell of a beating and will not look pretty so I don’t care about fancy or double action I’m looking for a 22lr revolver nothing to big either as light as possible and cheap also it dosnt have to be quality as long as I can hit something at about 2’ away I don’t no much about handguns I’m a long gun guy and I have probably a dumb question is there a 22 revolver that shoots 22 shorts?? Thanks guys

Am I the only one that noticed the length of the second “sentence”?

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well, even a cursory search of a gun store will reveal a Heritage or a Rough Rider .22 pistol for under 200 bucks.

If you never shoot them, they stay nice and tight.....would last for years.

Jim is right. Heritage is cheap, and they meet your requirements.
They are not the best built, but if you wear one out shooting trapped animals,
You have trapped a lot of animals.
Buy another one, then.

This is the gun I was going to suggest too. The Ruger Single Six is a better gun, but it's more expensive too. I carried a little Ithaca single shot .22 lever rifle for years before I bought my Single Six. That little rifle went through hell on the trap line. It was pretty fugly by the time I got rid of it.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

No.

But you can sell it and use the money to buy the 22LR version.

You'll go deaf shooting that thing on a trapline.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Hi guys I own a couple pistols mainly for concealed carrying and in the house I am a trapper and I want a pistol to carry on the line and dispatch animals with it. It is going to take a hell of a beating and will not look pretty so I don’t care about fancy or double action I’m looking for a 22lr revolver nothing to big either as light as possible and cheap also it dosnt have to be quality as long as I can hit something at about 2’ away I don’t no much about handguns I’m a long gun guy and I have probably a dumb question is there a 22 revolver that shoots 22 shorts?? Thanks guys

Am I the only one that noticed the length of the second “sentence”?

I don't know.

But you're the only one to cry about it.

Dave

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by cra1948

They tend to have more exposure to water IME and a lot of trappers tend to not use holsters. Just a pocket of some type. Rubbing against the inside of waders takes a toll on a finish also.

Travis

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1234, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,152 guests, and 1,307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,930
Posts18,479,910
Members73,953
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.