Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
How come you don't see a lot of, if any, minorities, in this country, into the outdoors...or guns...or hunting...ect...?

Maybe I am missing something but I didn't see one black dude in Capital Forest<<<ETA: my experience this fall....my first hunt>>>...nor did I find any asians.....women...or Indians...or etc...

There is only ONE black military dude that frequents my range...and he is awesome, and helpful....but it got me to thinking about the logistics of HOW and WHY people get into all of this...

Why is this, in your opinion?

Heck, I might even be wrong....

HoundGirl

Last edited by HoundGirl; 02/26/07.

Its not the size of the dog in the fight, its the size of the fight in the dog.
-- Mark Twain

Part of me lives with the wind in my face,
while the other part is barely alive.

--Mary Gauthier
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It's got to be somewhat of a cultural thing.

Most people get into hunting through family members and if no one in your family hunts it's a lot less likely that you'll take it up.

That's the end of my theory.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There was a black guy fishing the bassmaster's classic...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
What was that guy's name in Minnesota? Vang? Something like that. Probably a lot of people that wish he HADN'T been into the outdoors.

Good observation, though. Probably a serious cultural connection. Society as a whole doesn't encourage participation in hunting/shooting so if you don't already have a heritage of involvement in the activity, it's less likely that you'll pick it up on your own.

There ARE those two black guys that have their own outdoors show (Kelly Darden and James "Bub" Jackson), plus Dr. Warren Strickland in the archery world.

JLarsson - Hunter, shooter, reloader.........Mostly in that order. wink
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
out of the 6 african americans I work with all 6 are always cold, even in a kitchen running full steam.

They just don't like to be outdoors in the winter

NRA Life Member
IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
There are many Native Americans in the Dakotas, and Minnesota that are hunters, fishermen, and outdoor's men and women- and that has long been a part of their 'culture'.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
The percentage of women in outdoor sports/guns/ hunting is on the rise.

Then there is an organization of homosexual gun owners, known as the "Pink Pistols" one chapter of which once posted their leased hunting property with the sign "Trespassers will be violated".

People who shoot guns, hunt, and have a sense of humor can't be all bad...

You are right, HG - it does seem to be an activity dominated out of proportion by white males at this point, and that's really too bad, and something that needs to be worked on. Taking SteelyEyes comment into consideration, we need to reach beyond our immediate families and aquaintences to introduce or facilitate others into the cadre. Which I haven't done much of.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Weedy-....if I would have ventured out on a limb.... I would have said I was speaking mainly in reference to blacks and asians and indians.

I understand the Native American ties to the outdoors, hunting, etc...

I don't buy into the "if your were raised to believe...undertand....venture out into" scenario...although, I might be wrong. But I surely didn't get here via that route...

Anyhow, just interested in hearing everyone's take on why this is a white man's sport/venture.

Don't know the numbers, though, so I might just be wrong....

HoundGirl

-- Mark Twain

--Mary Gauthier
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It's hard enough to put up with the Redneck slob-holes when your a white guy so I couldn't imagine the frustration of most non-whites when it comes to getting permission, stopping for lunch, etc.....

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
HG,

Try visiting SE Oregon during deer season. If the guys I work with are any example, there are as many Hispanics in the hills as Caucasians around Malhuer Co.

These folks live to hunt, fish, and shoot just like the rest of us.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I dunnogrin.

I got my theories, though.

Like Las said... It IS cool to see women getting into the crux of it, on their own...but, AGAIN, why are they, or so it seems, primarily WHITE women?!

Immigration, illegal or financed, is a sticky dance....and you can see that in the priorities of those that GET to call this land their home.

Would like to see more involvement from them....

My question is WHY isn't that already a priority? Or am I wrong....

HoundGirl

-- Mark Twain

--Mary Gauthier
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I believe in the South there are lots of Blacks that hunt and especially fish.

Being raised in Cali I have seen many Blacks and Asians hunting and especially fishing. And that was 30 years ago.

Here in Ketchikan we see quite a few Blacks that come up for the Salmon charters.

As for Indians ... if you mean like East Indians I have seen them fishing in Cali and quite a few over the years here in Alaska.

I have never had a Black on a Guided hunt but have had a few Asians over the years.

Also I have never Guided a woman hunter. But have had many women fishing clients.

Actually I take that back about a woman hunter ... well kinda ... can you say undercover cop as in "a Hunt for Justice".

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have met a lot of Asians that live to duck hunt... Most are fishing when the duck season is closed. Good piece of advice in combat fishing zones is to watch the Asians for a while...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
HG. Most of the minorities in WA live in the larger cities around puget sound, they are into the city and all that comes with that. Thier friends and family are the same. Birds of a feather flock together kind of thing. Go down town the the 4th AVE tavern and ask how many folks in there hunt, go to the Brooklin tavern in Northriver and you wont find any black folks.

Jamie

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by AKGrayling
Have met a lot of Asians that live to duck hunt... Most are fishing when the duck season is closed. Good piece of advice in combat fishing zones is to watch the Asians for a while...

I resemble your first comment! HG: interesting question. I dunno'. Out of my hunting buddies, there are:

2 Syrian
1 Ukrainian
2 Irish
1 English
2 Scottish
1 Italian
1 German
1 French
1 Indian

Several of mixed caucasion backrounds.

Of which, I guess only two look as if they're 'of color' (I'm counting me as one) but I guess your definition of color and mine may be dissimilar. As to the why, I dunno'...

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The black guys I know are into fishing and small game hunting. Must be a regional thang...

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
maybe it has something to do with how many 'minority' members live near you.
Here in North Florida, I see a number of blacks and hispanics at the gun range, and out hunting.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shot next to a couple of black guys at an indoor pistol range once. I remember them quite well. They came in with a big, obviously heavy dufflebag, and when they opened it I could see that it was full of Glocks: probably between 30 and 40 of them. They were of assorted sizes and calibers, and they looked new.

Their MO was like this: select a pistol at random, pop the magazine, and load it with 9mm ammunition. If the ammunition doesn't fit (for example, if it's a 45ACP Glock), put the pistol in the "bad" pile. If it doesn't fit very well (for example, if it's a 40S&W Glock), load it carefully.

Hang a full-size NRA B27 target and run it all the way to the back of the range (25yd). Charge the pistol. If it jams (for example, if it's a 40S&W Glock loaded with 9x19mm ammo), put it in the "bad" pile, choose another pistol, and start over. If it doesn't, hold it out in front of you sideways (gangsta style), tilt your head to the side and talk a few scornful sentences of trash at the target, then fire rapidly until the gun empties or jams.

If it jams (for example, if it's a 40S&W Glock loaded with 9x19mm ammo), put it in the "bad" pile, choose another pistol, and start over. If it doesn't jam, but upon examination the target is unmolested, put it in the "bad" pile, choose another pistol, and start over. If it doesn't jam and there are a few holes in the target, put it in the "good" pile, choose another pistol, and start over.

It was an interesting operation. I kept a close eye on it and made sure I never ran all my pistols dry, just in case. They wound up with two or three guns in the "good" pile, and marveled to each other at the surprisingly low quality of Glock pistols; the implication was that if they had been another, more reliable brand, they wouldn't have had to bring them in and sort through them like that.

Somewhere I still have a couple of the 9mm cases they fired in the 40s, viciously split from mouth to head. I was hoping to find 9mms fired from 357Sigs, but there didn't seem to be any lying around.

It's comforting to know, if I should ever have to go up against black gangstas, the extent of their expertise with guns.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I worked with and hunted with a black man that hunted . he is a very good hunter using bows. black powder (flintlocks mostly) rifles.and shotguns. and he hunted from the first dove season in sept until the end of primitive muzzleloader season in january. also hunts varmits all year long and is a member in the NRA. a really great person.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Only the rich ruling classes used to hunt in Europe perhaps it hasn't filtered down to the gettos yet. Maybe we could get welfare to pay for some Rem. 700s and some guided hunts. Enrichment comes in more than one way after all.

None of my family hunted and I can only remember going fishing twice as a youngster but, I was lucky enough to have my Uncle Sam send me to Texas and be completely coverted from my damn yankee ways.

Most of the "non-whites" I know fish but, none of them hunt.
Good observation. Maybe we should do something about that. Perhaps the industry could focus some of their marketing in that direction?

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 47 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,767
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.