Print Thread
Hop To
P
poboy Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
P
Rendevous at Junction Tx. April 20 - 21. Trappers from all over Tx, NM, OK, others.
Be there for demos and supplies. Great people\friends.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
Rendevous at Junction Tx. April 20 - 21. Trappers from all over Tx, NM, OK, others.
Be there for demos and supplies. Great people\friends.

I'd like to go.

Keep me posted in case I forget.

Damn Old Timer's Disease...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Oh, geeze. That would be cool.

Wonder if they do something like this in Montana?

I am MAGA.
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Bummer, we will be back north by then!!!!

Molon Labe
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Here you go Jim , nearly every state has trappers and trappers conventions .

Trapping is really growing fast like predator calling did 15-20 ago , lots of young people getting into it .
Guy at Minnesota Trappers Supply said it's booming .

http://www.montanatrappers.org/western-regional.htm

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Yeah it's booming. Most fur prices are at a 25-35 year low except for select lynxcat. Here in MO. otters that 10-15 years ago were $100+ are $25 or so.
We're lucky to get $10 for a coon that back in the late '70s would have brought $45.
I'm 62 years old and have trapped since I was a little kid... my Dad was a fur buyer. Thirty years ago we had 6-7 fur buyers within 30 miles... there would be 2 or 3 set up in parking lots in town during trapping season on Saturday afternoons during fur season and we had a big fur auction at the fairgrounds now days the nearest buyer that I know is about 3 1/2 hours away so I finish my furs and ship to NAFA.
I'm a life member of the Missouri Trappers Association and from what I'm seeing there are very few younger people getting involved. Sure you see a hand full of trappers kids in the magazines but very few others.
When I was a kid if you caught a mink or fox then you were hot sh iet in school for a week or two, I really doubt if it's that way today
If you doubt that what I'm saying is accurate then go to the National Convention and see the age of the attendees.

Originally Posted by ol_mike

Trapping is really growing fast like predator calling did 15-20 ago , lots of young people getting into it .

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by teamprairiedog
Yeah it's booming. Most fur prices are at a 25-35 year low except for select lynxcat. Here in MO. otters that 10-15 years ago were $100+ are $25 or so.
We're lucky to get $10 for a coon that back in the late '70s would have brought $45.
I'm 62 years old and have trapped since I was a little kid... my Dad was a fur buyer. Thirty years ago we had 6-7 fur buyers within 30 miles... there would be 2 or 3 set up in parking lots in town during trapping season on Saturday afternoons during fur season and we had a big fur auction at the fairgrounds now days the nearest buyer that I know is about 3 1/2 hours away so I finish my furs and ship to NAFA.
I'm a life member of the Missouri Trappers Association and from what I'm seeing there are very few younger people getting involved. Sure you see a hand full of trappers kids in the magazines but very few others.
When I was a kid if you caught a mink or fox then you were hot sh iet in school for a week or two, I really doubt if it's that way today
If you doubt that what I'm saying is accurate then go to the National Convention and see the age of the attendees.

Originally Posted by ol_mike

I wasn't talking about fur prices - I know they are very low .
In the past several years there have been droves of people in GON.com georgia outdoor news take up trapping , whole families have taken it up as a hobby .
It's really kicking off on Pensacola fishing forum too , people wanting to help the deer turkey populations .
I see lots of young folks on youtube trapping and the comments show that many more are interested in trapping , that's what I was going off of in my comment .

I agree it's not like it was when I was a teen , I'm 58 so we were probably trapping on the same days way back when . The days of trapping being profitable are probably gone forever .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I think I will joint the Assn.

The kids really enjoy going with me.

I am not a very successful trapper, but its a learning process and the kids like it.

Thanks for the link Ole Mike.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I really hope that there are plenty of kids taking up and enjoying trapping but I just don't see them around here. The youngest trapper that I personally know is in his late 30's on the other hand I do read about and have met a couple of women trappers.

Jim C., the National Trappers Association has held the western regional convention at Miles City before... well worth attending if and when they hold the next one there.

I just went to NTA's convention calendar and the western is being held in Livingston this year. Take plenty of money as there will be a lot of stuff you'll want to buy.

Last edited by teamprairiedog; 04/10/18.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wish coons were $35 each again... wink

Caught a BUNCH of them here in the past couple years. Hell, I caught 5-6 in the past week.

Thanks to the bunny hugger/anti-fur idiots, they are exploded in population.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 300_savage, 17Fan, 1100mag, 36 invisible), 2,335 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,078
Posts18,501,577
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.