Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
I need to try the 130’s in my 308’s

Yes, you do. They work as advertised! Varget & CFE-223 have been good for me in two .308 Win rifles.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by ACLakey
I have taken many deer sized game and a couple elk with my tried and true 30-06 over the years. I have been reading about the Barnes Tipped TSX and they have piqued my interest. I have heard regarding the TXS that the lighter bullets for a given caliber perform similar to a heavier lead core. Meaning a 150 or 165gr TSX will give similar penetration as a 180gr lead core bullet in the same caliber. Is there any truth to these statements. What kind of results could I expect shooting a well placed 150gr TTSX on elk? Would the velocities produced expand the bullets as advertised? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Yes, There is truth to these statements. A .30/06 handloaded to potential with a 150gn or 168gn Barnes TTSX will eliminate the bragging rights of just about everything in the gun rack. There are some people who would step down to the 130gn TTSX for most game and I have even seen Aussies use they older version in 300 Winchesters back there with impressive results.

Bullets are like ice cream, designed to attract every taste bud, but the Barnes TTSX is rapidly becoming the Chocolate whereas the Partition is Vanilla and the Woodleigh is Chocolate Chip. This simply means that is is perfectly OK to like them all.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tag

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use the 168 TTSX in my ‘06 and .300 Weatherby with great results. I also shoot the 150 TTSX in my 7mm Weatherby with equally impressive performance. I’m working up some 150 TTSX loads for the .308 so perhaps I should try them in .30-06 also. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use the 168 TTSX in my ‘06 and .300 Weatherby with great results. I also shoot the 150 TTSX in my 7mm Weatherby with equally impressive performance. I’m working up some 150 TTSX loads for the .308 so perhaps I should try them in .30-06 also. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Running 168 TTSX in a 30.06 , using .70 off lands and it's looking great. I was using H414 but now experimenting with IMR 4064. This load will be my all around load. Have not shot anything yet but this season will hopefully give it a try on elk. Partitions are very sensitive to seating depth. I get my best accuracy .20-.30 off the lands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I started using the Barnes X bullets when they came out in the 80's and loaded them for my .338 Win. Mag. and our 30-06 rifles. I like them so much I left the Partitions, which are a great bullet. Now days I load the 225 TTSX in the .338 with Hunter powder and the 168 grain TTSX with H4350 and use Norma brass for both of them.

For several years we shot the 200 grain Partition into moose and caribou and went to the 180 grain X bullet in the mid 80's and shot through moose with it. Last year I switched to that 168 TTSX load for my Pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight and it worked wonderfully on a caribou it shot through. I also have a little 6.5 pound Husqvarna 1640 in 30-06 and will use the same TTSX load in it.

I have not noticed one bit of difference in the killing power of the lighter TTSX bullets compared to the heavier Partitions and both bullets work very well. The TTSX bullets penetrate further then the Partitions and retain more weight, but dead is dead. I also will never shoot enough criitters to be able to prove much of any thing about bullets.

Here in Alaska Partitions cost a bit more then the Barnes X bullet, but not much and both are easy to find if you roll your own.

An Auzzie by the name of Bob Penfold did some culling work for the Auzzie government. I hope my memory is correct as I recall reading him and some others did this for about 10 years and over 20,000 donkeys, buffalo, goats, camels and you name it were shot. They shot so much stuff they were replacing the barrels on the .308 Win. chambered rifles. They used .375's, .338's and others and his favorite, a .340 Weatherby. Many bullets were used to include Woodleigh and Barnes X. In his opinion, and by then he certainly had been in on enough gut piles to have one, the Barnes X bullet killed the best. Works for me.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Penfold was a guide and the original Barnes X bullets were tested there by Ross Seifried who used 165 grainers in a .30/06. Because Ross was favoring the .340 Weatherby magnum cartridge in that era, he reported that the X bullets elevated the.30/06 to the same/similar effectiveness in the field.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We use 168g TTSX in .30-06 for elk, deer and antelope. Have yet to recover one. Unlike the original 'x' bullets we have not seen any evidence of failure to expand.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And I"ve yet to see a non tipped one not expand either, but then we probably didn't shoot more than 50-60 deer with them before moving to the tipped ones as they came out.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JJHACK
It's not complicated to understand.

instantly after impact a lead core and jacketed bullet begins to seperate, crumble and lose it's weight. It may continue ahead, and it may not. It may curve, stop, or it may lodge into bone. the reduced weight has as much to do with further penetration as the lost velocity. Retaining weight increases penetration. The greater the inertia the deeper the penetration. Combine that with the more rough edged or maybe more accurately stated the lack of a soft round conventional lead mushroom, and it's able to poke through the exit side of the skin far more often.

A TSX opens perfectly into 4 petals and retains 100% weight and then exits leaving two holes in the hide for you to follow the dripping blood.

There is nothing special needed to kill a Deer. They die about as easy as any big game alive. They have a minimal will to live when hit properly with about any bullet, and they are quite soft.

The African Game we hunt is much more like NA Elk and Mtn goats. Tough as nails and with the herd instinct they will travel a hella long way to stay with the group, even dead on their feet.

Regarding animals size comparison, to answer your question more directly, a 2000lb bull eland can jump a 2 meter fence from a standstill without a running leap. We have seen this a number of times. A bull elk will not jump that fence at only half the body weight. Nor will an American Bison which is also equal in wieght to the eland. So to compare what has been killed with the 165grain bullet Yes we are killing far tougher game then deer and far bigger game then elk.

Here is an older page of notes I published here in the past:
--------------------------------------------------------------

I have recovered and recorded a lot of information on the bullets used this season from my loaner 30/06 rifle.

First some of the facts and details regarding the loads and the gun used.

Rifle: Model 70 Winchester PacNor 23� barrel in standard 30/06 cartridge

Winchester Brass
Federal 210M primers
IMR4350 powder 58 grains
Chronographed at 2900 plus at 55deg F

Game shot by 7 different hunters six male one female

6 warthogs
12 impala
6 Kudu bulls
1 Kudu cow
5 Zebra
3 waterbuck
6 wildebeest
4 Red Hartebeest
4 Blesbok
2 Nyala
1 Steenbok
1 Gemsbok

51 total animals. One was not recovered, a Blue Wildebeest was lost although a confirmed hit with a short blood trail.

Shortest shot was a impala at about 40 feet, longest shots were a Zebra at a laser measured 237 yards, Blue Wildebeest at 198 yards, Kudu Bull at 225, and Impala at 177 yards all measured with my LRF 1200.

35 were shot with the Barnes TSX bullets. 7 were recovered
6 were shot with the Federal Fusion factory loads
6 were shot with Hornady Interbonds
4 were shot with the PMC factory loads

My unbiased assessment is as follows. However I must first say that I was admittedly very skeptical of the Barnes bullets based on my prior extensive experience with the original X bullet design. I must also admit to not being very impressed with the Fusions lack of velocity at only 2700plus fps. The PMC bullets were on hand and used to share the difference between factory cup and core bullets and premium handloads. The Interbonds were already a well known performer and had a lot of respect from me.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

My rifle was zeroed with the X bullets and shooting hole touching groups at 100 meters. Prior to departure I shot a three shot group to foul the barrel. Upon arrival I shot a 2 shot group to prove the travel did not compromise the scope adjustments. There were 5 shots now through the barrel. Each hunter using this rifle also shot it before their hunt started. The Fusion, PMC, and Interbond bullets would shoot into about a 3+� group mixed POI's with the settings used for the TSX bullets.

The Federal Fusion Bullets: Underpowered for bigger game. The lack of velocity and the unpredictable bullet shapes left me unimpressed. Although they held together they under penetrated and fell short of my desired performance hopes. It�s an excellent inexpensive deer and smaller big game bullet but does not have the kind of killing power I expect with a 30/06 using other loads and bullets. A good choice for deer, impala, blesbok, but I would not likely choose them for anything bigger or even on the tough little warthog. I stopped using this bullet for further shooting on game based on the early limited performance on the recovered game and bullets. With the shallow penetration and oddly shaped mushrooms I was not confident to shoot game as tough as wildebeest, gemsbok and zebra with these bullets.

PMC Bullets: As can be expected with these bullets being Cup and Core design they will kill about like the Fusion bullets. If everything is perfect they work fine, but when something goes wrong they will not provide the edge I would like to see in my bullets. All of them failed to stay in one piece and all lost much if not all functional weight retention.

Hornady Interbonds: Work flawless and 100% predictable 4 out of the 6 were recovered and all had massive expansion with great weight retention. Another hunter used these bullets in his 30/06 AI and had identical performace and recovery percentages as my standard 30/06. The AI version was about 90fps faster at 3000fps. A better bullet would be difficult to choose. I have already posted dozens of pictures and text on these bullets in the past. This years experience is the same. It's a class act by Hornady and difficult to choose another bullet over this design.

The Barnes TSX bullet: Well this was the one that drove this project for me. Although I am very pleased with the performance. I am very happy with the results of so many deadly shots on big tough game animals. I�m still skeptical about some of what I have seen. The 7 recovered bullets look almost identical and have from what I can see 100% weight retention. Not a single petal was broken off and all expanded from the close range 40 yard shots to the longer near 250 yard shots. Some exits were massive and the blood was flowing freely. Others showed me a bore diameter hole and not a drop of blood from the exit. I�m stumped as to how these bullets exit with an exact bore diameter hole? Yet some others have a huge exit hole. I had about a 20% recovered bullet rate from these bullets. The lowest recovery percentage of any bullet I have ever used. Exits are the norm with the TSX. I had a bullet zip clean through the shoulders of a Big Zebra at 237 yards which included the vertebra and one scapula above the shoulders. This is enough mass that I have seen it stop a 270 grain Swift A frame from a 375HH plenty of times. Yet a 165 grain TSX from a 30/06 passed through. 4 zebra were shot with the 30/06. One needed a follow up shot, all 4 of the TSX bullets passed through these zebra. Only the one follow up shot was inside one of them. Zebra, Gemsbok, and Blue Wildebeest are about the best bullet stopping plains game we have. All three species were shot clean through with this bullet. Few provided a good blood trail often due to the bore diameter exit holes. Those that had good blood trails when recovered always had good exit holes too.

Here is an Impala with a noticeable exit hole but you can clearly see there is no blood flow.

[Linked Image]

I have 4 other TSX bullets I could photo and post here. However they are identical to the first two in this photo. They would be difficult to tell apart had I not marked them before I left! The only oddball in the group is the one from the zebra. It was recovered inside the heart. It has a wrinkled petal which you can see in this photo. All the others are exactly the same.

The rifle was not cleaned, barrel swabbed out, or oiled during the entire trip. On my last evening I hunted hard for a warthog. I walked from 2:30 PM til dark about 6PM I was hunting alone and looking for a whopper warthog I had seen twice in the prior several weeks I had been hunting here. In the closing moments of light about 5:55 I saw what looked like a shooter. At 75 yards he was trotting parallel to the road I was on, and slightly quartering away from me through the bush. When the warthog cleared a bush and left me with a fleeting moment between bushes I leveled the upper crosshair and touched off the trigger when it was layed behind the last rib. It appeared as if I rolled him over but the muzzle flash was too bright. I walked to the spot and saw a spot of blood. Then there in the flashlight beam just ahead he layed dead. The blood flow was significant and the exit was through the opposite scapula.

Several times I tested the accuracy during the week with targets. Each time the bullets were into the 1� square �bullseye� on the target at 100 meters. With nearly 60 shots fired during this trip and no cleaning I trusted this rifle and bullet combination on the last moment shot at the warthog. There was simply no fouling problems with these TSX bullets and this PacNor barrel!

I would certainly feel a whole lot better if the exits looked like they had more consistency in size. However I have also come to another probably arguable conclusion with the TSX and the 30/06. I would much prefer to have a 30/06 with this bullet and a rangefinder then a 300mag of any make without a rangefinder. I feel 100% confident that these bullets will penetrate and shoot accurately as far as I would like to shoot. Say 400 yards or so. If you know the distance with the rangefinder hitting the target is not complicated or risky with low wind. These 165 grain TSX bullets in a 30/06 will out perform a 300 magnum with a standard cup and core bullet every time. Sure you can up weight with a 300 magnum and use the 180�s. However if the 30/06 killed 50 of 51 tough big game animals I�m not sure moving to the 300 mag is a practical choice if you want more power. I think moving to the 338 is much more logical. If shooting long range 450 yards plus is the reason then would I agree. However a rangefinder with a 30/06 is still a very do-able shot with these TSX bullets on a calm day.

So do I switch now from the Hornady Interbonds I love so much to the TSX bullets? ����..Wow talk about a tough choice! The TSX shoots a tiny bit better in Accuracy, the tips don�t deform, they seat very tight in the brass with the groves. They don�t have the 100% internal damage consistency that the Interbonds have, but they are close and I cannot explain why the exit holes are bore diameter on some of the game. I do have a photo coming of the exit on a zebra. It looks like the stallion was shot with a small broad head. It has 4 slices about �� long each. It�s a brilliant exit hole. Why don�t they all show this? Maybe 35 big animals under nearly identical conditions is still not enough information? I will say that If I only saw 10-12 of the best exits I would swear these were the best bullets on earth no question, hands down, end of story. I may yet agree to this statement. However there were those few that leave me wondering why a tiny little exit hole as if the bullet did not open or the petals all sheared off? ( no petals ever found inside) I will continue to use them until the first time I find one that is unopened inside an animal. If that does not happen I may not use anything else in this rifle. I think they make a better large big game, Elk, bear, zebra, wildebeest, gemsbok, eland, waterbuck, moose, etc bullet then the Interbond because the exits at least in theory should provide more blood flow. I think the interbonds will provide much more explosive impact and internal trauma on deer sized game like antelope, sheep, blesbok, impala, etc.

They do not have a similar POI or load to shoot well from my rifle. They are as incompatible with a single scope setting as possible. I will have to pick one and stick with it. So for now I�ll stay with the TSX. As far as I�m concerned the TSX does more with the available power of the 30/06 then the Interbond does. The much higher frequency of exits is a benefit to good blood trails. I know my weakness as a confirmed bullet recovery junky even though I know they should all exit.

I�m not sure you can make a mistake in choosing between the 165 grain AFrame, Interbond, Accubond, TSX, or Partition, The one that shoots best in your barrel and gets a minimum level of functional velocity should do fine. I guess having to choose between the 165 grain Interbond and the 165 grain TSX for me is actually a good problem to have.

Never been to Africa, hope to see it one day. Pretty ignorant to all things hunting Africa. After reading your post, I had to google an Eland..that's a brute..do lions mess with Eland bulls? Seems like a fair amount might take a nasty goring.

Thanks for your in depth posting, I always enjoy reading and learning from them.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
JJHACK. May have just posted the most useful bullet test/review I have ever read on this or any other forum. No arrogance , no bias, no making fun of other people. Just a great collection of pictures , facts and observations. Thank you very much for taking the time and effort to post what you posted for all of us to read. Well done.

Capt Kirk

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
Penfold was a guide and the original Barnes X bullets were tested there by Ross Seifried
who used 165 grainers in a .30/06. Because Ross was favoring the .340 Weatherby magnum cartridge in that era,
he reported that the X bullets elevated the.30/06 to the same/similar effectiveness in the field.
John

So xtra penetration not xtra frontal area of .30cal projectile elevated it to .340 Wby performance...

Finn Aagaard made 165X his go-to bullet in his FN .30/06

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by buffybr
Originally Posted by Eremicus
For the information of any who wish it, Barsnes makes a 165 gr. TSX and a 168 gr. TSX in .30 caliber. The 165's are for the .300 magnums and the 168, with a slightly longer nose and higher BC, are designed for the 30'06 and the .308...

I did not know that. When I started reloading for my .300 Weatherby in 2009 I chose the 168 gr TSX because of its slightly higher BC. Same in 2012 when I switched to the 168 TTSX. Both bullets gave me sub moa accuracy and have performed very will on everything that I have shot with them.

I wrote to Barnes a few years ago asking what is the difference between the .308 165 and 168 TTSX. Here is their reply.

Hi John,

Great question! The 165gr versions incorporate a short nose profile, often referred to as the ogive, to accommodate cartridges that require a short COAL (Cartridge Over All Length) requirement, such as the 300 Win Mag and 300 WSM. The 168gr TTSX has a longer ogive than the 165gr TTSX and it provides a more efficient, more streamlined design that allows it to retain its velocity and energy better. We test each bullet and assign it a value that rates each bullets ability to overcome air. This is referred to as the BC or Ballistic Coefficient. The higher the BC value the more efficient it is. So you’ll see a slight downrange advantage to the 168gr versions with their higher BC’s when they are incorporated in cartridges such as the 30-06, 308 Winchester or 300 RUM that can accommodate the a longer finished cartridge length and magazine requirements.

The 165gr TTSX requires a minimum impact velocity of 1800fps for bullet expansion and the 168gr TTSX only requires 1500fps.

Wag more, bark less.

The freedoms we surrender today will be the freedoms our grandchildren will never know existed.

The men who wrote the Second Amendment didn't just finish a hunting trip, they just finished liberating a nation.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was just directed to this by a fellow member. Thanks folks...... your respect of my opinions here is never something I would take for granted. Capt_Kirk thank you!

I too read this "article" just now as if somebody else wrote it. I believe it's quite old now? I cannot recall the time line exactly.

If there was a follow up statement on this presentation from me it would be that I have not used anything else except the TSX/TTSX in 165 grain weight since writing this and have no reason to even consider anything else. I've been blessed to have had a life to shoot a lot of big game in my career. I don't owe anybody anything for this "blessing" but still feel compelled to share what I find with others. It is after all you folks that ultimately created my success in this business over the last 30 years.

Regardless if I have ever met you, hunted with you or even spoken you any of you. It's all you folks that buy gear, want the best stuff, and by your spending habits and financiial support allow manufacturers to entrust my research and opinions for their products. That is not something I have ever taken lightly. I have after all been canned by a number of them for writing the truth, and not what they wanted to hear. Oh well, be careful what you ask for!

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 12 invisible), 1,481 guests, and 866 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.